Unjust ban system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unjust ban system?

**Please do not delete or close this thread. This is NOT a thread to discuss a particular ban, but to discuss the topic of TW's ban system.**

As some of you might know, a single person is in charge of the TW banhammer, Rudy. I think that Rudy is doing a great job with banning people in this zone for wrong doing, but I do think that the system is being exploited by several people. Many people I know, and don't know have quit because of this. I am not making this post to complain about a ban, since I am not banned, but to bring light to the subject. A lot of people lately are getting extremely long bans, for mediocre offenses, while other are getting off with a hand slap for wrong doings. Below I will give a few examples of offenses that seem hypocritical of each other to say the least.

Ex.1

Vys - Used CE on numerous accounts, was banned for one year. Vys evaded ban twice and was giving the same sentence for evading, just a year ban. Due to sucking up to P_L and a few others this was reduced and vys got off early on good behavior.

Install - Now heres the hypocritical part. Install uses CE once, is banned for 2 years? Install evades once, is banned for life, even though vys evaded twice?

Not that I am saying you shouldn't be banned for cheating, but CE was common knowledge. There were people in pubs spamming the website and giving tutorials. I believe instead of 50+ people being banned for this, something should of been done previously to increase the games weak security issues. Not including the numerous people that were banned ,even more then that quit because the cheating got out of hand and half the zone was doing it.

Ex. 2

Delectable - Should I say more? This guy was caught using CE, an offense that everyone else in the game was banned for on the spot except him. Oh, it was his roommate, LOL, try using that excuse if your not buddy buddy with half the staff. Randomplayer1> :rudy: it was my roommate, I wasn't home. (Rudy)> Go die in a fire. Why was this allowed to happen, why was pascone and all other staff involved not suspended from staff temporarily while stray was removed from twld and the matter was under investigation? Delectable is still playing, evading, on Quake. Most staff know this and will not do anything but play it off, big shocker.

Ex. 3

Wicken - Guy was banned for using ce once, never evaded. He served his year, came back , and was banned one week later on half of his names for evading? He was told to write staff at their email to get a reply. Wicken emails staff, nothing happens for 10 days while Rudy is offline, so he continues to play on his unbanned names. When Rudy comes back, all of his names are immediately banned. No emails were replied to, and staff ignores his private messages. Wicken maybe you should of established a better reputation so that you could be responded to sooner.

Ex. 4

Pointless Racism Bans - How come people can tell me to "Go pick cotton" or tell me that they're "gonna hang me from a tree"? Where as if someone says the "N" word they are automatically banned, EVEN THOUGH, anyone can type ?obscene to toggle a word that is or should be on the obscene list. If you do not want people using that language in the game, use a filter, or at least be more aggressive with the people who use racial references instead of actual words. I remember being banned one time for calling Pure_Luck a "brownie" in a pm, for 2 weeks on a first offense I might add. Yet the other day someone was spamming our squad with the "N" word, and I was told to .?ignore them.

These are just a few issues that I see causing a lot of people to quit or relocate to another zone. I have respect for Rudy, cool koen, P_L, Kim and others running the zone, and you all do a great job, however. The system is corrupt.
    Last edited by Melon; 10-13-2008, 08:58 PM.
    Indulgence

Sadly, the people on staff are human, and therefore not able to help a certain level of favouritism. It would be nice, and perhaps helpful, to have a site, or something somewhere that tells people what kind of punishments are given towards infractions. Say, using CE knowingly, 1 year ban. Doing it again, 2 years. Third time, life. Evading once, additional 6 months, twice.. etc.

That way staff have a guideline to stick to, and hopefully they'd keep to it. I'm sure there is already something of the sort behind closed doors - but what good does that do when events such as the ones you mentioned occour?
    7:Knockers> how'd you do it Paul?
    7:Knockers> sex? money? power?
    7:PaulOakenfold> *puts on sunglasses* *flies away*

1:vys> I EVEN TOLD MY MUM I WON A PIZZA

7:Knockers> the suns not yellow, its chicken
    7:Salu> that's drug addict talk if i ever saw it

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"
    1:chuckle> ive watched the video twice now

Comment

staff for the most part do a good time, for instance you listed 6 rare cases out of 100s of bans. Thats pretty decent if you ask me. But sometimes staff make mistakes it happens.
      Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
      2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
      2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

100s? A bit more than that. And I favor no one. I'm just waiting for Hate The Fake to log on and do something illegal so I can ban him!
        sigpic

1:Shaun> if my girlfriend had a dick
        1:Shaun> mmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Kahlan View Post
          100s? A bit more than that. And I favor no one. I'm just waiting for Hate The Fake to log on and do something illegal so I can ban him!
          I cant because im Mormon :P
          Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
          2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
          2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

I'm not about to say that staff is perfect, but a lot goes on that you don't see. Yes, staff has made mistakes, but you aren't in the know enough to make claims that the entire system is corrupt. There are rules and guidelines that staff members stick to, and we in no situation intend to show favoritism to anyone. If I knew of such a thing I would speak up against it.

Things aren't always as they appear from the outside.
            SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
            SSCU Trench Wars Bot/Web Developer

Stayon> That type of thing, when you're married for 50 years but you know you fucked up when you dropped chilli sause on your elitist rich boss, while crossing the cafeteria's lunch zone, getting you fired, because you were distracted admiring the cleaning lady's ass that you beated off to, when your sluggish wife and two retarted kids were asleep.

Comment

What you don't understand is that for the most part the people that are getting unbanned are people that make the zone a better place, whether it is competition or just personality. The people who stayed banned are pretty much nobodies that not many people care about. The only ban that has ever really stuck to a prominent player would have to be Mythril probably. It makes a lot more sense when you look at it from the stand point of -

Popularity and Skill are Trench Wars monetary system, so Vys and Delectable could hire better attorneys.
              Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

I agree about racism bans, and the racism policy in general. Pointless
                Last edited by Ward; 10-14-2008, 03:10 AM.
                1:Kthx> Hey Cower ill let you play the next game if you can name me five medieval weapons.
                1:Cower> Sword
                1:Kthx> ok
                1:Cower> Axe
                1:Kthx> WAIT, YOU GOT IT
                1:Cower> ?
                1:Kthx> GET OFF THE CHAT

Comment

Speaking of racism bans I wonder what I would get for my next racist comment, seeing as how I've had a couple years of good behavior
                  I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
                  I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Originally posted by HateTheFake View Post
                    staff for the most part do a good time, for instance you listed 6 rare cases out of 100s of bans. Thats pretty decent if you ask me. But sometimes staff make mistakes it happens.
                    ya staff makes mistakes, the public has caught on, shouldnt they correct their mistakes?

vys isnt paying to play this game, TW wont lose any money, why is he still allowed to play?

i would love to see a legitimate reason
                    zidane> big play
                    Omega Red> dwop sick
                    mr mime> its called an orca smash u uncultured fk
                    WillBy> ^^

1:Chief Utsav> LOL
                    1:Rule> we dont do that here.

cripple> can u get pregnant if u cum in gf's ass

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                      What you don't understand is that for the most part the people that are getting unbanned are people that make the zone a better place, whether it is competition or just personality. The people who stayed banned are pretty much nobodies that not many people care about. The only ban that has ever really stuck to a prominent player would have to be Mythril probably. It makes a lot more sense when you look at it from the stand point of -

Popularity and Skill are Trench Wars monetary system, so Vys and Delectable could hire better attorneys.
                      How are they making the zone a better place? Half of tw despises these players. You would rather take 2-3 hated players with ego problems over the numerous people that were banned for years and life?
                      Indulgence

Comment

unban mythril then, it would be genuinely fun to have him back.
                        TWL-J Season 11 Champion
                        TWL-J Season 21 Champion
                        TWL-B Season 21 Champion
                        TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
                        TWDT-D 2017 Champion
                        TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

hey melon, just because people hate someone online doesn't make them less valuable, it makes them more valuable to have around. It gives people a reason to want to get better than they are. Besides when people like you could step up and take their place then I would say go ahead and stick with the original ban, but I don't see some newbie like you stepping up so.
                          Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Oh noes! Corruption! Someone call Internal Affairses!

Melon. You don't know facts. Your introduction implies you have some examples of the system being exploited, yet all I see are 5 examples of active/inactive hacking bans (all of which created by me) and some vague reference to the age old racism catch 22 which can't, and can never be helped lest the racism ploicy be abolished (it was recently upheld June-ish).

Wicken's E-mail did not get replied to for good reason. He didn't follow the directions in the ban notification dialogue. I had to fish through weeks of grammatically incorrect salespeople trying to sell me genuine fake rolexes, impotency pharmaceuticals, and virus ridden pictures of my nonexistent sports team submitted for my nonexistent website to find this fabled dispute from Lucie/Wicken (Whom, is coincidentally being classed as an evasion of Install himself unless I receive an in-game ?message from Install telling me with his hand placed over his heart that he is not affiliated with aforementioned personage).

Aside from that, I have been temporarily promoted as co-ordinator at work until the end of January at least. As a result, I am stuck there between 50 to 60 hours a week and am on call for the remaining 108 hours. The last thing I want to do when I arrive home from work is more work, so all my TW functions have been put on the backburner as far as I'm concerned. To be honest, can't say I'm really missing all the bullshit and the assholes that manufacture it either.
                            CK is quite capable of handling most day to day issues that occur, having trained him myself on the tricks of the trade (perhaps excluding one or two).

Comment

why ban the few skilled players of an already dying zone anyway?

PS: racist bans just boost the dying of the zone, your not gonna get new players who will quit because of racism, and you will not have the current population of players quit neither

think we astablished the fact that 99.99% of tw does not care about racist comments over the net
                              Call me Hadoken cus' Im down right FIERCE

Comment

Working...
                              X