Relative Ping problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relative Ping problems.

Okay to start off with, my old computer's mother board fried. I bought a new computer, which I'm using now. It's a AMD 2400 (2.0ghz) 512 RAM and 80GB HD. Running on a 10mb internet line. No, it's not networked.

I have tried enabling the "Do not attempt to limit the Frame Rate" option and also the Page Flipping option. I have tried with and without both enabled, and etc. 60fps without, 1000fps with them enabled.

Now to explain the problem. I connect to Trench Wars (I haven't tried with out zones but I feel it will be the same result.) and everyone has their normal relative pings to me. But every second it starts to climb. In about 5 minutes everyone's relative ping to me will be 500 or so. Then after 10 minutes, 800. And after 20 minutes, around 1000ms relative ping.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling internet components. All the drivers and the TCP/IP drivers and etc that go with my modem/ethernet card. Nothing has yet to have worked.

If anyone has any ideas of what I can do next, or if they know an actual fix to this, please respond to this forum thread. Thanks.
    1:Overstrand> FFS I GOT THIS MOTHERFUCKING ITCH DIRECTLY IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACK AND I CAN'T REACH IT
    1:Overstrand> GOD
    1:Overstrand> FUCK
    1:Stra> ROFL

See if this is simular in other games on your computer and you might want to look into returning the computer (if its a system wide problem) and getting another one. There are a number of test you can try like a burn in test ,dxdiag and a memory test. It could be your ISP screwing around also but I thinking its more a problem with your computer. Do a trace to the tw server and look for a drop in packets.
    Last edited by Kolar; 04-16-2003, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Other games and internet applications work with no problem. My ISP certainly isn't messing around, as my internet connection is always at tops. The computer itself is probably at fault, but everything else besides SubSpace/Continuum works with no problems at all.

I'm currently updating all drivers and software that could possibly interfere or not, just to make sure it's not a lack of updates.

And those tests.. Maybe a little help on how to initiate them?
      1:Overstrand> FFS I GOT THIS MOTHERFUCKING ITCH DIRECTLY IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACK AND I CAN'T REACH IT

Comment

Just confirmed that it isn't only TW, but every other zone that I go to. If that helps any at all.

Comment

A burn in test checks the stiabilty of your comp and is at:

http://download.com.com/3000-2086-78...ml?tag=lst-0-2

Memory test ,test your ram:

http://download.com.com/3000-2086-43...ml?tag=lst-0-1

And dxdiag is direct X that is mostlikly already on your computer if your using XP. If not, download direct X 8 from the web. Goto start,run (after it is installed) and type dxdiag. Look in the network tab and display tab for errors.

Note: I hate AMD I have to build AMD machines sometimes and they are a bitc* to work with.

Comment

Yeah.. I have Direct X 9, not 8. I have plenty of Ram.. 512, but about 400 or so because my Geforce4 MX uses quite a bit. And the BurnIn test showed that everything was working fine, and that my computer was completely stable. I need to run it thoroughly later, when I have time though. I only ran it a few minutes.

Another note on that. SubSpace is the only internet related program so far that is affected by this. All other programs run like they're supposed to, without any traces of lag and etc.

This really sucks

Comment

Epinephrine has now told me that the AMD Athlon 2400 processor seems to be causing this. Many other people besides me have complained about this same problem, and all have been using that processor.

..Just great. :<

Comment

Note: I hate AMD, I have to build AMD machines sometimes and they are a bitc* to work with.

Comment

It's a bitch for me, because it's only the AMD 2400 that causes this problem. :P

My AMD 2200 and my 1700 worked fine, but I fried both of those. :/

Comment

AMD Duron 1300MHz
                    AMD Athlon 1800+ XP
                    AMD Athlon 2000+ XP
                    AMD Athlon 2200+ XP
                    AMD Athlon 2400+ XP
                    AMD Athlon 2600+ XP

Those have worked fine with me.

Btw, if you get more than 512MB of ram, you should register it, then it works many times better.
                    - Acid Tank

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." -Kurt Cobain

Comment

SubSpace worked fine on an AMD Athlon 2400+ XP system for you? You never experienced the current problem that I'm having?

And how can I "register" my RAM?

Comment

Working...
                      X