Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Expensive for the Internet?

Article here.

That's because cable and telecommunications companies are forging ahead with plans to radically change their familiar flat-rate monthly Internet plans, just as new options for watching movies and TV online proliferate.

What should Web surfers expect? Usage caps that would penalize those who send and receive large amounts of data.
    I'm thrilled that companies want to charge more and not put the extra money towards something useful. Say upgrading their network to avoid having bandwidth problems in the first place? The downloading and streaming of video and HD video is only going to get more popular, so let's charge people more for watching them if they like to do it a lot!
    The song doesn't make your hands clap,
    The hand claps make the song

"Too expensive to play WoW? Try continuum, its low bandwidth"
    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Is there anything Continuum can't solve?
      The pleasure's all mine.

Comment

Your virginity
        help: (how do i shot) (Public 0): how do i travel diagonally? i only have up, down, left and right keys.

4:PinkSTAR <ER>> ask DP he knows me inside and out

Comment

Lol
          1:CrazyKillah> oder if i olny knew u irl u would be dead and i would be in jail

menomena> did you get to see the end of the steelers greenbay game though
          JAMAL> yeah you dumb fat faggot, was good ending

1:Cape> Why did u axe req
          1:cripple> I'm very religious, and my new years revolution was to make this squad a better one, so I kept with my resolution and axed req.
          http://big-dicked.mybrute.com/

Comment

Originally posted by duel pasta View Post
            Your virginity
            fucking gold, broseph
            My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

ISPs already have usage caps in Canada, it started with them cutting people off on a 3 strike system if they exceeded something like 150-200 gigs per month. I think anything above 150 is far too much but that needed "check" on the system soon morphed into a marketing ploy, so they decided to carve it out into usage packages like a fucking cell phone. 50$ a month gets you 60 Gigs and 70-90 gets you more. If you go over 60 Gigs you pay $1.25 per extra Gig of bandwidth up to $25.

There is no capacity issue yet they're still gaming people out of their money like this. And like Punk Rock said none of it is going towards upgrading their existing network or rolling out fiber. Instead we get the "Rogers" Stadium, the Blue Jays and whatever else the Rogers family wants to piss their money away on. When you have 5 computers and 3 people (2 heavy downloaders) using a single connection it isn't easy to stay under 60 Gigs.

Comment

It costs at least $1,000,000 to build a mile of infrastructure in most areas in America... better for the consumer, yes, but economically unfeasible.

Technology can only get cheaper over time, but alot of that cost is sunk into red tape, which seems to be getting more expensive.

The businesses should be saving their profit for investing in infrastructure long term. I think that one thing this recession might do is help reinstill the notion of savings over credit, and the cost of not adjusting is bankruptcy.
                NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar View Post
                  When you have 5 computers and 3 people (2 heavy downloaders) using a single connection it isn't easy to stay under 60 Gigs.
                  Try 1 house with 7 university students. : \
                  duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar View Post
                    50$ a month gets you 60 Gigs and 70-90 gets you more. If you go over 60 Gigs you pay $1.25 per extra Gig of bandwidth up to $25.
                    That shit sucks. I think I used somewhere around 300GB last month :fear:
                    The song doesn't make your hands clap,
                    The hand claps make the song

Comment

lawl. As if some company wouldn't come out and deliver unlimited access.

And then make bank. It's not that expensive to host ISPs
                      Originally posted by Tone
                      Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

rofl, we've had caps since forever here in belgium

You know what my last cap was? 10 gig download a month and for every gig extra you had to pay 1.50$! They recently raised it so its 30 gig a month now

if you think your cap sucks, dont come to belgium :P

but my 40 mbit connection makes up for that.. a tiny bit
                        help: (how do i shot) (Public 0): how do i travel diagonally? i only have up, down, left and right keys.

4:PinkSTAR <ER>> ask DP he knows me inside and out

Comment

Your virginity
                          damn
                          Originally posted by Ward
                          OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

rofl, we've had caps since forever here in belgium

You know what my last cap was? 10 gig download a month and for every gig extra you had to pay 1.50$! They recently raised it so its 30 gig a month now

if you think your cap sucks, dont come to belgium :P

but my 40 mbit connection makes up for that.. a tiny bit
                            1st- i saw in bruges today and at last, someone who hates belgium more than me, ty colin farrell

2nd- yeah i think i mentioned that in a post about net neutrality, and how "unlimited broadband" is actually pretty load-intensive on the infrastructure and how european countries have been doing it for years. always progressive, those damn fuks
                            NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Working...
                            X