Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best job in the world?

Taken from:BBC Article

It's being billed as "the best job in the world" - six months working as a "caretaker" on Hamilton Island in Australia's Great Barrier Reef. But with competition for the post sure to be cut-throat, how can you make your application stand out?

As winter gloom settles in across the UK, Tourism Queensland has cannily cast a wide net in its search for someone to take the caretaker job. The indigo skies and rolling golden sandy beaches of Hamilton Island couldn't look more appealing to your average Briton at the moment. As if these weren't enough, the job comes with a pay packet of nearly £70,000 and a rent-free three-bedroom villa, complete with pool.

http://www.islandreefjob.com/Official job website

According to yahoo news 200,000 people applied the first day this was advertised. Anyone here thinking of applying or already has?
    STARKITTY
    A White Mage

Buy edu backlinks

Ohh I read about that this morning. It really does sound like a pretty rad job. The only thing it's missing is a hot companion as it sounds a bit lonely.
    Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
    www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
    www.animeslice.com

Comment

Best job in the world? Former US president
      USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

really sounds bad ass, but with that many people fighting for it, no shot in hell anywhere near an average joe is going to pickup that one

Damn tease.
        7:Knockers> how'd you do it Paul?
        7:Knockers> sex? money? power?
        7:PaulOakenfold> *puts on sunglasses* *flies away*

1:vys> I EVEN TOLD MY MUM I WON A PIZZA

7:Knockers> the suns not yellow, its chicken
        7:Salu> that's drug addict talk if i ever saw it

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"
        1:chuckle> ive watched the video twice now

Comment

is this an ARG
          Originally posted by Ward
          OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine View Post
            Ohh I read about that this morning. It really does sound like a pretty rad job. The only thing it's missing is a hot companion as it sounds a bit lonely.
            You get a 3 bed house and they're happy for you to have whoever you want come with you and stay. Or have multiple people fly out and stay with you. Friends, family, partner. Whichever. ^-^

Originally posted by Capital Knockers
            really sounds bad ass, but with that many people fighting for it, no shot in hell anywhere near an average joe is going to pickup that one

Damn tease.
            I might apply.. Who knows what they're looking for really though? It's all a bit of a publicity stunt. I would think it would be much easier for them to have advertised in some specific medias targetting biologists or wildlife workers if they wanted someone with specific qualifications. It never hurts to try.

A quick gander at youtube turned up a bunch of really poor quality applications.. Someone who actually makes an effort at a high quality application mixed with a bit of charisma could do quite well.
            STARKITTY
            A White Mage

Buy edu backlinks

Comment

Originally posted by StarKitty View Post
              A quick gander at youtube turned up a bunch of really poor quality applications.. Someone who actually makes an effort at a high quality application mixed with a bit of charisma could do quite well.
              My girlfriend and I are both applying. What will it hurt? Might even be a learning experience. I think there will be more of this type of job interview/applying process in the future.
              There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

there has got to be some catch22, has anyone got any experience as to what winter over there is like? or what the "daily expeditions" entail?
                Displaced> I get pussy every day
                Displaced> I'm rich
                Displaced> I drive a ferrari lol
                Displaced> ur a faggot with no money
                Thors> prolly
                Thors> but the pussy is HAIRY!

best comeback ever

Comment

Originally posted by Displaced View Post
                  there has got to be some catch22, has anyone got any experience as to what winter over there is like? or what the "daily expeditions" entail?
                  work duties:

1) clean out jellyfish nets, don't get killed by jelly fish
                  2) inventory coral, don't get eaten by sharks or bitten by sea snakes
                  3) pick up trash, don't get eaten by saltwater crocadiles
                  4) public relations, don't get knifed
                  5) stay on island, don't get bitten by killer spiders.
                  6) try to stay calm when you realize you aren't going to net any cash after they fuck you over

yeah, on second thought, i'll stay where i don't have to worry about animals killing me everyday.

edit: i bet it just involves licking stamps and running mail all day. if not, then it's probably all yard work, which i could live with if it wasn't australia - filled with deadly snakes and spiders. oh and you have to submit daily entries on the islands... which sounds like you're required to write a bs paper everday. doable, except for the next problem: job security. How's the knowledge that there are over 250,000 qualified people drooling to get your position gonna make you feel? relaxed? probably not.
                  Last edited by DankNuggets; 01-15-2009, 04:44 PM.
                  .fffffffff_____
                  .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                  .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                  .fffffff\______/
                  .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                  .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                  .fffff\________/
                  .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                  .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                  .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                  .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                  .fff\__________/

Comment

wait i know this.... does it start with blow?
                    Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
                    2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
                    2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

best job in the world? heh B)

*points to dillznick*

Comment

Working...
                      X