Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A weeks vacation in London

Hey!

I'm travelling to London in late march for a week. Actually I'm treating my girlfriend for the trip because we've been together for one year for the one who gives a shit.

I've found really cheap flights but the decision on hostels (yeah I wanna live cheap) are somewhat harder. I don't know London's districts at all and if a hostel is in Peckwood it might aswell be in central London for me!

So I'd just like to ask someone who lives there themselves for some tips, maybe you have a friend who owns a hostel in London? What do I know!

Other like general tips for being in London for a week, stuff to do, Places I MUST EAT ZOMG "YOU MUST GO TO LUIGIS BEST PASTA EVER" is appreciated, or basically anything about anything (in London).

Thanks!

march 21 - Tottenham Hotspur vs Chelsea
    march 21 - Fulham vs Manchester United
    Originally posted by Tyson
    There is no such thing as hoologians there are only football supporters.
    Originally posted by HeavenSent
    Hello? Ever tried to show a Muslim a picture of Mohammed? I dare anyone to try. You will die.
    Originally posted by Izor
    Women should never be working in the first place.

Comment

There's a ton of stuff to do. Things that come to mind immediately are:

- Trafalgar Square
      - the British Museum
      - seeing a show in the West End

I'll add to this as I think of things. I spent a couple months in England and about a week in London. I stayed in an EasyHotel, which didn't quite have the price or environment of a hostel, but was cheap enough and close enough. I'd say definitely find a place to stay that's not too far out of the city, otherwise you'll have a long ride every morning and every evening.

Comment

Hostels are the way to go. You meet really interesting people and they usually have tons of suggestions on what to do/see.
        Just outta curiosity, why do you want to go to London for a holiday?
        sigpic

Comment

because MMO's were banned in Australia
          sigpic
          All good things must come to an end.

Comment

Awesome idea, I still want to take my girlfriend. I've heard the hostels are cheap, hotels are ridic (literally).

I'd go on a pub tour of some sorts and travel around using the euro rail if you want to go to Ireland or Scotland. I'm trying to get in contact with my uncle from Bristol, I want to go visit him and see where my dad was born (Glasgow).
            it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Well. My gf has a friend in Spain (Alicante) which was my first option. When the prices rose to like 5k Swedish crowns I decided to pass on it. Had Paris open for a while but decided that town is too fecken' huge and disoriented for me to throw a surprise trip and plan everything before.

I've never been to London and I've always wanted to go, the same with her. I was considering Dublin but still decided on London being more tourist-friendly (possibly faulse assumption).

Thanks for the tips, keep 'em flowing (football games exluded, lol).

From the impression I've got from hostels it have seemed to be nice places. Common problems seem to be double bookings and distance so I'll have to make sure by calling etc that we actually have a reservation and gather information about travelling to central London.

Prices in general? How should we travel? I'm assuming that Taxi is expensive.
              I work for the public transportation office in Sweden have we have cards for a period of time. 1 day, 3 days and 7 days. With that card you're allowed to use all public transportation within the region of Stockholm. Are there anything similar in London and is the price reasonable?

Comment

Alicante + 5k seems like a lot, when Ive been to Torrevieja or Alicante its been around 350e.

As for the second part, if you think Paris is too huge and disorienting, London isn't exactly small. IMHO Paris is simple if you aren't completely clueless on how to read a map, same applies to London.

London on the "cheap" also seems a bit odd to me, now I haven't been in London since like 2001, so it may have changed, but it was ridiculously expensive last time. A London Travel Card for a week was about 40pounds IIRC, which is like 490SEK. You can also get a A London Pass, which gives you some kind of discount on different tourist attractions, but it was ridiculously expensive IIRC.

Food + Drink is around what I'd be used to pay here, a pub meal was about a tenner and at a restaurant it was about double that per person.

Transportation, use the underground, its easily your best option. Taxi is expensive, starting tarriff was 2£ IIRC and a shortish journey was 15-20pounds.

Good thing the pound is weak atm, makes it a little bit more bearable.
                Displaced> I get pussy every day
                Displaced> I'm rich
                Displaced> I drive a ferrari lol
                Displaced> ur a faggot with no money
                Thors> prolly
                Thors> but the pussy is HAIRY!

best comeback ever

Comment

I'll stress that traveling in and out of London every day really sucks and it's worth the few extra bucks (especially with this good exchange rate) to find a more central location.

The London Underground is really good and with a good set of legs, anything is in walking distance of a station. I recommend getting an "Oyster card" which is pay-as-you-go. You can get a 7-day pass, but it would probably only be more economical if you make a lot of trips per day. You can check out the rates on the website.

Prices now are really good. When I was there a year ago, 1 GBP = 2 USD. Now it's 1 GBP = 1.45 USD. Things are still more expensive than in the US though.

Comment

Fuckin' A, thanks guys, great tips.

Well... The decision about Paris came from my mom and was like "Save Paris for another time, that shit is fuckin' disorienting!". I am saving up tons of money for a journy around the world trip where I basically just go anywhere and see where everything takes me. But this trip is only set over a week so I'd really like it kind of planned, so London seems easier... Dunno!

Comment

I'd go to Dublin or Paris.. Probably Paris with the gf :wub:
                      London is dirty and full of douchebags who either try and rip you off, or treat you like a pos. Personally I hate the place.

Edit: Unless you like dance music.
                      sigpic

Comment

Both are appealing but as explained above I wont go to Paris. Dublin is interesting but I feel like London has more avaliability than Dublin in terms of information from example you guys, friends, attractions etc.

But Dublin is indeed interesting!

Btw! Travelling with RyanAir, anyone knows what's the cheapest way to get from Stanstead to London?

Comment

Cheapest is probably easyBus or some other coach line. Quickest would be the Stansted Express.

Comment

I can only recommend taking the Stansted Express, if I remember correctly you're dropped off at King's Cross, or possibly Liverpool St, but in any case you'll find one of TFL's ticket boots. If you're staying for a week you'd best be taking the 7-day Oyster Travelcard for zones 1 and 2, because you won't be traveling outside those two the entire week (there's shitloads and more to see within zone 1 alone) and you will end up using the Tube more often than you'd think, plus you also get to use buses within those zones.

Here's the zones explained with a map: http://images.intolondon.com/images/...d-tube-map.gif I don't think we left zone 1 more than twice.

For hostels I recommend Christopher's Inn hostels, we stayed at the inn at London Bridge and that is as close to central London as it gets (http://www.st-christophers.co.uk/lon.../london-bridge). Check it out on the map: click (zoom in and check out the hot tub! sick rooftop party place there)
                            Last edited by Burzum; 02-05-2009, 02:24 PM.
                            2:Displaced> k washed my nuts, hope they stop itching now
                            2:Displaced> now its my fucking foot that is itching, FOR FUCKS SAKE

2:Eeks> there was this girl that had a crush on me
                            2:Eeks> and she had the biggest boobs i've ever seen live
                            2:Eeks> had back problems too i think
                            2:Eeks> it was kinda disturbing when her boobs were bigger than her head

1:DangerGirl> spider, give your cap to era
                            1:spider> Wooooohoo!
                            1:spider> .*passes the hat*
                            1:Erathia> <eats the hat>

Comment

When I stayed in London, I stayed in this Hostel in Euston:
                              http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...8&z=15&iwloc=A

It's really close to King's Cross station, cheap as owt and breakfast is included. Rooms aren't massive of course, they're pretty basic, just bed, wardrobe a table and chair. No TV, but there's too much to do in London for that to matter. Bathrooms are shared which wasn't an issue for me as I only stayed one night and made do without shower (ew) but may be for you. They are clean and the beds are comfortable. Really friendly (Christian) staff and an excellent breakfast bar in the morning.

Having said all that, London is a place you will enjoy but there's a reason why I'm going to Cyprus with my missus this summer.
                              Last edited by Mr. Peanuts; 02-07-2009, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X