Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a new gfx card - nVidia or Radeon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new gfx card - nVidia or Radeon?

Guys, I'm thinking about upgrading my current geforce3 to something a little better. I dont want to spend more than 120 bucks for the upgrade (because i am a very poor college student and need the money for food).

So which should i get?

Radeon 9000 pro 128mb DDR (from ebay @79.99) by sapphire not Ati
    nVidia Ti 4400 128mb DDR (from ebay @ 119.99)

oh, btw my mobo can only support up to 4x AGP, so none of that new 8x stuff is going to work for me. Basically i want all the video acceleration without the fancy DVI and the TV out stuff.
    TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
    TelCat> hoes get paid :(
    TelCat> i dont

I've had a geforce 2 GTS since 2000 and it has been simply beautiful. I have yet to play a game that it can't handle perfectly. They are probably available at a good price now. The GTS models rock your socks!

I recently bought an ATI radeon 9500 pro, with NO END OF COMPATIBILITY ISSUES WITH GAMES, such as ugly artifacts and suboptimal performance. (simcity 4000 mainly).
    'vet' is the new 'newb'.
    sit ez vet, sit.

Comment

ATI 9000 Pro

i was making that same choice several months ago - i ended up going with ATI

although, i chose 64MB over 128MB because, as surprising as it may be, the 128MB has very little performance edge over its 64MB counterpart, and is only worth it if the price difference is negligeble

see here for more details
      Everything is funny as long as it's happening to someone else.

Comment

Get a 9500, switch the drivers to make it a 9700. The GEforce FX cards I don't think are worth it but Ati is comming out with a 9800 pro if its not already out. Or if your really low on money go for the Ti series.

Comment

Re: ATI 9000 Pro

Originally posted by dare
          i was making that same choice several months ago - i ended up going with ATI

although, i chose 64MB over 128MB because, as surprising as it may be, the 128MB has very little performance edge over its 64MB counterpart, and is only worth it if the price difference is negligeble

see here for more details
          I second that
          Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar
            Or if your really low on money go for the Ti series.
            You mean MX, right?
            Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

no, the ti series is getting very cheap, 50$ or so for a ge3 ti200 i think

the mx isn't even worth consideration...
              "Can u tell me why I am called noob because I play Trench Wars?
              I am full of that S**T!

Long life for TW!!!!" ~ Agnium

Comment

Yeah, but if you're really hurting for cash, it's a viable option. It sounded like he was talking about GF4's, and the difference between an MX 4 and a Ti 4 is about $100. He says he already has a GF3.
                Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis XV
                  I've had a geforce 2 GTS since 2000 and it has been simply beautiful. I have yet to play a game that it can't handle perfectly. They are probably available at a good price now. The GTS models rock your socks!

geforce 2 GTS was a flop. I bought a Geforce 2 MX 32 Mb with TV-out for half the price and you can easily clock it over what the GTS can handle . AND is has no fan so it makes no noise. Yaw got tricked

Bio what does the rest of your computer consist of? No need to but a too expensive card if something would still be slower.
                  Thumb rule: High compatibility, price and noise: Geforce series
                  Good price-power ratio, bad drivers (thus some problems with graphics in games too): ATI
                  not for playing, elite pic quality: Matrox
                  5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                  5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                  5: Da1andonly> =((
                  5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                  5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                  5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

I dont really need a 9500 pro because my mobo won't be able to take advantage of the 8x AGP capability. This is why it's sensible to buy either a 9000 or a Ti 4400 (for less $).

My old card was a Geforce 3 Ti 200, which has 64mb of DDR and ran on the 4x agp thing. Something with DVI would also be nice cuz i have a flat panel.
                    Last edited by Bioture; 05-07-2003, 01:57 PM.
                    TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
                    TelCat> hoes get paid :(
                    TelCat> i dont

Comment

Tech support and computer mumbo-jumbo.
                      Originally posted by Facetious
                      edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

No conc the Ti series is going down in price and is lower then some newer ATI cards.

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd
                          Yeah, but if you're really hurting for cash, it's a viable option. It sounded like he was talking about GF4's, and the difference between an MX 4 and a Ti 4 is about $100. He says he already has a GF3.
                          geforce 2 32 mb 29$ (Canadian)

and Kolar's - my video card is a geforce 4 mx 64 mb 110$ Canadian ... don't throw the money out for a ATI 9500 or a 9700 radeon pro. Wait for the 9800. my geforce 2 32mb is sweet considering it runs just as good as the geforce 4 mx.
                          it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Originally posted by Bioture
                            I dont really need a 9500 pro because my mobo won't be able to take advantage of the 8x AGP capability. This is why it's sensible to buy either a 9000 or a Ti 4400 (for less $).

My old card was a Geforce 3 Ti 200, which has 64mb of DDR and ran on the 4x agp thing. Something with DVI would also be nice cuz i have a flat panel.
                            simple answer to your problem, asus p4 mobo 99$ Canadian ... stupid kind of to buy a 9000 ati radeon considering that it's already out dated and wont hold its value.
                            it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

I'm thinking on buying the Radeon 9000 Pro. Not such a bad buy if the rest of the computer is very slow. It should be good enough though to run GTA3 Vice City when it comes out

And buying a 9800 in the near future just for an upgrade is pure madness. Very overpriced and might have bugs too. Very noisy as well, most Radeon 9000 don't have a fan (and are therefor the best available for ppl who like totally silent computers).
                              5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                              5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                              5: Da1andonly> =((
                              5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                              5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                              5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Working...
                              X