PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Movie Thread!

Galleleo
12-31-2009, 12:55 PM
Seeing as this forum now apperantly exists, I'll just make a thread.

What did you think were the best movies in 2009?

Which movies are you looking forward too the most in 2010?

I'll post my thoughts later on.

Xog
12-31-2009, 02:39 PM
With this year it's hard to say because Avatar was such a visual treat but the story itself was kind of globbed. I'm still going to say Avatar for #1 just because it was so unique, visually.

A Prophet would have to come trailing close behind in #2. The movie was put together fantastically, and prison movies aren't exactly the easiest to make by any means. The plot was well-constructed, the acting was excellent, and the mood was portrayed clearly. It was an excellent film.

Up in the Air was also a very good movie. I'm going to place this in #3. Everything about this movie was good. I honestly can't find one thing about it that I didn't like. I felt like I could put myself in the main character's shoes.

Fit of Rage
12-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Zombieland
Zombieland
Zombieland
Zombieland
Zombieland

... and Sherlock Holmes

Scurvy
12-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Up
Where the Wild Things Are
Inglorious Basterds
I love You Man

kthx
12-31-2009, 06:58 PM
You ever see that movie where Wax took over the forum and imposed fascist restrictions on us like not being able to use the F bomb so that he can sell out our community to the sponsors?

Nockm
12-31-2009, 10:26 PM
District 9

phata$$
01-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Zombieland
Zombieland
Zombieland
Zombieland
Zombieland

... and Sherlock Holmes

I agree.

I also liked Paranormal Activity. I love movies where you are genuinely intrigued to find out how it ends.

PH
01-01-2010, 01:18 AM
inglourious basterds

as a man who hates pitt and tarantino i went in with very low expectations

amazing, amazing movie

Jason
01-01-2010, 01:33 AM
inglourious basterds
9 (not district 9, just 9)
up

didn't get a chance to see as many movies as i would have liked in 09, so my list is pretty short

Galleleo
01-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Movies I really liked in 2009:

Inglorious Bastards, I am not a big fan of Tarantino. I like Pulp Fiction, but a lot of his other stuff, not so much but Inglorious Bastards is fantastic

Avatar, the story is basically Pochahontas, but the film itself is absolutely stunning

The Hangover, I thought that the movie was hilarious. I do kinda fear for Hangover 2 though, I don't think it will be easy to make another one that's good.

Doubt (2009 in the Netherlands), I like this movie because even after it is over you still aren't sure. Which is the whole point of the mvoie, doubt.

Burn after Reading, it was just incredibly ridiculous which made it incredibly fun

Watchmen, I liked it

Movies I want to watch:

District 9
9 (not 'nine')
Up
Up in the Air
The Hurt Locker
The Informant
World's Greatest Dad
Zombieland
Sherlock Holmes
Brothers
I love you, man
The Blind Side
A Serious Man
Invictus
The men who stare at Goats
The Soloist
And The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Astrogirl
01-01-2010, 01:41 PM
My list is of this past years most outstanding documentaries.

http://healthypalate.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/food_inc_5x7_v3.jpg
Food, Inc.
An unflattering look inside America's corporate controlled food industry.
For most Americans, the ideal meal is fast, cheap, and tasty. Food, Inc. examines the costs of putting value and convenience over nutrition and environmental impact. Director Robert Kenner explores the subject from all angles, talking to authors, advocates, farmers, and CEOs, like co-producer Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation), Michael Pollan (The Omnivore's Dilemma), Gary Hirschberg (Stonyfield Farms), and Barbara Kowalcyk, who's been lobbying for more rigorous standards since E. coli claimed the life of her two-year-old son. The filmmaker takes his camera into slaughterhouses and factory farms where chickens grow too fast to walk properly, cows eat feed pumped with toxic chemicals, and illegal immigrants risk life and limb to bring these products to market at an affordable cost. If eco-docs tends to preach to the converted, Kenner presents his findings in such an engaging fashion that Food, Inc. may well reach the very viewers who could benefit from it the most: harried workers who don't have the time or income to read every book and eat non-genetically modified produce every day. Though he covers some of the same ground as Super-Size Me and King Korn, Food Inc. presents a broader picture of the problem, and if Kenner takes an understandably tough stance on particular politicians and corporations, he's just as quick to praise those who are trying to be responsible--even Wal-Mart, which now carries organic products. That development may have more to do with economics than empathy, but the consumer still benefits, and every little bit counts. --Kathleen C. Fennessy
Food, Inc. lifts the veil on our nation's food industry, exposing how our nation's food supply is now controlled by a handful of corporations that often put profit ahead of consumer health, the livelihood of the American farmer, the safety of workers and our own environment. Food, Inc. reveals surprising and often shocking truths about what we eat, how it's produced and who we have become as a nation.
Watch it here: http://vidreel.com/video/NTc2OTQ5/

Astrogirl
01-01-2010, 01:52 PM
http://www.petercoyote.com/howtosave1x.jpg
How to Save the World
The film, narrated by Peter and produced and directed by Tom and Barbara Burstyn, features Peter Proctor of New Zealand, the father of bio-dynamic agriculture. The documentary highlights his journey throughout India helping farmers revive their poisoned soil. Various activists, politicians and farmers are interviewed about the deep economic, social and environmental consequences in the aftermath of the 'green revolution', which left hundreds of thousands of farmers in debt, or drove them away from their farms and into the overcrowded urban centres in India. Set in the magnificence of rural India with beautiful cinematography and music by Mercan Dede, the film is stimulating, inspiring and educational.

Modern agriculture causes topsoil to be eroded at 3 million tons per hour. (that’s 26 billion tons a year)

Human mass is replacing biomass and other species. The carrying capacity of the earth is almost spent.

To maintain our comfort zone lifestyles we will soon need five earths to sustain us in the style to which we have become accustomed.

The mantra of free trade has failed the world’s poor. There is a better way.

Biodynamic agriculture may be the only answer we have left.
NEW LINK: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTc5Mzg4NTA0.html (http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTc5Mzg4NTA0.html)

Two other great documentaries on the subject of food health are:
The Power Of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil and The Future of Food

paradise!
01-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Sherlock Holmes trailer:

Action scenes aren't that astounding
"Comedic" scenes aren't funny
Where is the mysterious element of Holmes?
Why does Holmes act like a rockstar?
Lacks the detective-esque intrigue of the conan doyle books

Galleleo
01-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Sherlock Holmes:

Robert Downey Jr.

Displaced
01-01-2010, 03:11 PM
mr bean does bollywood.

Twerp
01-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I really enjoyed The Hangover, District 9, Avatar, Sherlock, Zombieland, and the new Star trek

phata$$
01-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Sherlock Holmes trailer:

Action scenes aren't that astounding
"Comedic" scenes aren't funny
Where is the mysterious element of Holmes?
Why does Holmes act like a rockstar?
Lacks the detective-esque intrigue of the conan doyle books

Just watch the fucking movie. When I saw the trailer for it, I was also kinda disturbed at how dumb it looked. I came into the movie with low expectations and boy was I blown away. It's so entertaining that you'd want to watch it again and again just to see parts you might have missed.

Jason
01-02-2010, 06:15 AM
fucking

Jason
01-02-2010, 06:16 AM
fuckity fucking ****

Jason
01-02-2010, 06:16 AM
looks like the censor needs some tweaking, heh

Soup du Jour
01-03-2010, 08:31 AM
I liked The Hangover and Star Trek.
Sherlok Holmes was amusing but not the best of the year.
The Blind Side was just a sappy movie. Perhaps save it for a sappy lady.

I am going to see Up and Inglorious hopefully in the next week.
I really want to see Fantastic Mr. Fox

You're an idiot if you put Food Inc. as the best of ANYTHING.

And FFS would someone please explain to me why Avatar and District 9 are so highly rated?
I actually enjoyed them both but certainly not even close to being praised the way they are now.

Pressure Drop
01-03-2010, 07:18 PM
hmm i can't remember when i see movies but the ones that stand out to me right now that i think i seen in the last year are

Zombieland - woody harilson , zombies. enough said !
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1156398/

Let the right one in // Låt den rätte komma in - a boy meets a vampire girl ... yay ! but that aside there is a strange pace and offbeat theme in the movie and it really works and draws you in, probably the best swedish vampire film i've seen ^_^
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/

Mesrine: Killer Instinct // Mesrine: L'instinct de mort - this is a 2 parter Mesrine: Public Enemy No. 1 // Mesrine - L'ennemi public n° 1
i didn't know the story of Mesrine but i loved the first film, the opening sequence knowing that it was based on a real life story was enough to tell me it was going to be good :) and it was, the second i still really liked but when i came out of the cinema my friends didn't like it compared to the first, i thought that it wasn't the same but was still a really good movie and finished of the storyline really well - though i did kinda fall for the super hot Sylvie <3
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259014/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411272/

Watchmen - dark superhero movie and refreshing to see
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409459/

--------------

films to look forward too ??? erm have i missed Sin City 2 ??? thats the only film i'm actively looking forward too

Pressure Drop
01-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Burn after Reading, it was just incredibly ridiculous which made it incredibly fun

yeah i really liked this one too, had me in stitches in some parts and was a fun film ^_^

Crescent Seal
01-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Avatar, Inglorious Bastards, Star Trek, Hangover

Dabram
01-07-2010, 03:33 PM
2009 wasn't a very good movie-year.. probably still some (hidden) gems I missed and will hopefully run into later..

top 10:
1. Sin Nombre (Without Name)
2. Los abrazos rotos (Broken Embraces)
3. Watchmen
4. Tokyo Sonata
5. Låt den rätte komma in (Let the right one in)
6. The Hangover
7. Død snø - the better zombie-comedy this year
8. Zombieland - only just saved by Woody from becoming a 'nerdy boy' wins over 'cute girl' flick.
9.Ong Bak 2
10.I Love You, Man

Worst overhyped movie of the year.. wait make that century.. District 9. jesus christ what a pile of shit.

I also expected SO MUCH MORE from inglourious basterds. The first scene was perfect and the cafe-scene was brilliant. Hans Landa was a great character, that is till the last 15 min. when Landa suddenly becomes an even bigger retard than Brad Pitt's character, just so moron Pitt gets to "outsmart" Landa?! Just ridiculous. Felt like it could've been so much more..

Also I saw Star Trek on a flight, it was dubbed in Spanish.. and I don't speak Spanish yet I could tell it was an utter crap movie. Impressive.

Xog
01-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Hahaha Ong Bak 2 was awesome, and Star Trek was entertaining. The part where they warp up to Spok and shoot off all the missiles was fucking EPIC.. but then again it's probably because I was watching it in one of the largest IMAX theaters. Everyone was "ooh"ing and "aahh"ing rofl

Galleleo
01-09-2010, 02:10 AM
So I saw Sherlock Holmes yesterday and I quite liked it. He could have been more British, but I don't see anything major being wrong with the movie.

It was very obvious about half way through that a second movie would be made.

Twerp
01-09-2010, 04:25 AM
If you guys stayed after the credits, you would have seen the extra bit where Sherlock invents a suit of armor powered by steam. He calls it Copper Man.

Jason
01-09-2010, 07:09 AM
so clever it's almost funny!

NaiLed
01-09-2010, 01:32 PM
So I saw Sherlock Holmes yesterday and I quite liked it. He could have been more British, but I don't see anything major being wrong with the movie.

It was very obvious about half way through that a second movie would be made.

i was lucky enough to go and watch the orchestra who were creating/recording the soundtrack for sherlock holmes at Air studios in London. i got to go in the studio and watch some of the film, whilst the orchestra were performing! hans zimmer is hilarious.
anyway, i was a bit disappointed, i thought more could have been made at the plot, and there were some stupid consistencies (watson making it out almost scratch-free after being blown up) but i thought downey jr was fantastic, as always. i think without him it would have been cank

my 5 favourites were, in no particular order:
district 9
inglorious basterds
antichrist
where the wild things are
the hurt locker

Galleleo
01-09-2010, 02:17 PM
It doesn't storm my top movies of the year list at all, and Iron Man was a much better movie. But I don't see anything wrong with the movie and I definitely don't feel like I wasted money going to see it in the theatre.

Galleleo
01-09-2010, 04:01 PM
9.Ong Bak 2

I know it's 2008 officially, but Chocolate was pretty damn awesome as well. I found it very impressive that they didn't even use any stunt doubles or anything.

NaiLed
01-09-2010, 04:10 PM
It doesn't storm my top movies of the year list at all, and Iron Man was a much better movie. But I don't see anything wrong with the movie and I definitely don't feel like I wasted money going to see it in the theatre.
yeah agreed with both points. i saw the iron man 2 trailer, hope it's good

Dabram
01-09-2010, 04:27 PM
although your choice in movies is quite horrible, hello nailed, you sexy human being!

NaiLed
01-09-2010, 05:24 PM
haha i read about your hate for district 9 above. so naive!

and no way, where the wild things are is spike jonze's best and the hurt locker was incredible. antichrist stayed in my brain for way, way too long which i think makes a successful film

Galleleo
01-09-2010, 07:46 PM
I saw that Iron Man 3 is already in the making.

paradise!
01-09-2010, 07:46 PM
district had a great middle. Just a terrible ending, it deserved such a better one. I feel like i was cut short after watching that. Left me going "AND? AND.....!?!?"

after that all in all the movie left me pissed because of the ending.

Displaced
01-09-2010, 08:12 PM
the hurt locker is on my list of WORST movies of 2009.

i dont understand how anyone can like something that is basically plotless, unrealistic drivel, with piss poor acting to boot.

fLaReD
01-10-2010, 02:24 AM
didn't really like many movies released this year all that much. the hangover was definitely hilarious, but other than that nothing stood out all that much. i haven't got to see avatar yet and i've heard it's pretty good so hopefully that doesn't let me down. inglourious basterds, i love you man, star trek, observe and report, the goods live hard sell hard, and district 9 were enjoyable. i also thought 9 was a fun and cool movie, but i didn't like the ending. i was able to watch brothers the other night (on a cam, unfortunately) and i thought it was pretty good, though depressing.

a bit off topic: i just got a chance to watch the usual suspects (1995) and thought it was awesome! i also like se7en (1995). i'd say the usual suspects and the departed are my two favorite crime movies. i had to watch the movie called jason and the argonauts (1963) for class and found it surprisingly enjoyable.

Displaced
01-10-2010, 11:30 AM
The usual suspects is a classic, im surprised you only saw it now. Gabriel Byrne and Kevin Spacey are really good. Not to mention it actuslly has a good plotline.

Cops
01-11-2010, 06:10 AM
avatar was alright, but people are acting like this is something outstanding - which it really wasn't. i'm not mad i paid to see it or anything, but i just think it was good. nothing more, nothing less.

inglorious bastards was a solid movie.

sherlock holmes was amusing, not top notch or anything but still worth a watch. hopefully the second one gets better.

the hangover is pure win.

where the wild things are was a good movie, can't say which awards it deserves if any. the indie kids will over rate this one and make it out to be better than it actually was. it's worth a rent or download at the very least.

star trek sucked, yeah fu ck you too internet forumz.

burn after reading was like fargo, i was content watching it but once was enough. which reminds me this is my general opinion about 90% of the coen brother's movies. by the way that was made in 2008, are people just listing off titles at this point?

i love you man was no forgetting sarah marshall, still i got soft eyes for paul rudd.

Galleleo
01-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I think that main thing that makes Avatar so hyped and stuff is the way it has used technology and stuff to create that entire world. From what I understand, the movie is the next step in CGI or whatever it is called that they used.

I didn't know Burn after Reading was 2008, I only heard about it last year and I like it far more than Fargo.

bandcampgirl
03-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Up in the Air and an education were the best of the year

How THE HELL could anyone consider avatar best of anything? TOTAL CRAP

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/130283/original.jpg

Scurvy
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
avatar was alright, but people are acting like this is something outstanding - which it really wasn't. i'm not mad i paid to see it or anything, but i just think it was good. nothing more, nothing less.

inglorious bastards was a solid movie.

sherlock holmes was amusing, not top notch or anything but still worth a watch. hopefully the second one gets better.

the hangover is pure win.

where the wild things are was a good movie, can't say which awards it deserves if any. the indie kids will over rate this one and make it out to be better than it actually was. it's worth a rent or download at the very least.

star trek sucked, yeah fu ck you too internet forumz.

burn after reading was like fargo, i was content watching it but once was enough. which reminds me this is my general opinion about 90% of the coen brother's movies. by the way that was made in 2008, are people just listing off titles at this point?

i love you man was no forgetting sarah marshall, still i got soft eyes for paul rudd.

this has got to be the worst review of anything i have ever read. You, sir, are wrong about everything. Nevermind that the oscars are over and all the films you deemed unworthy went home with awards, and (SURPRISE!) your "pure win" hangover was regretfully overlooked. And while i realize that my opinion matters just as little as your own, it upsets me because yours is so godamndamn terrible.

why the hell are you discussing burn after reading? that movie was one long joke. and old. A 2009 coen brothers film would include A Serious Man. Which was excellent. Avatar was basically revolutionary in the visuals, and by far the best fabricated environment that has yet to be created, cgi or no cgi. I would give it a little bit more than an 'alright.' Where the Wild Things Are AND Spike Jonze are anything but indie. This has to be one of the most commercialized stories of our generation.

I love you Man is no Sarah Marshall? Thank god. I saw a used copy of forgetting sarah marshall at blockbuster on sale for $3.00 and nobody would touch it. The only part you got right is your boner for Paul Rudd.

I'm not sure why this is irritating me so much. Probably the fact that you put the hangover above half of the top 10 movies of the year, and completely left out the other half.

Edit: and flared, have you ever heard the jim gaffigan bit about how he just saw heat but nobody wants to talk about it because its like 10 years old. Thats you. Granted, the usual suspects is fantastic, and jason and the argonauts should be a requirement for all 11 year olds to watch. While you're dipping back in, go watch The Sting and The Great Escape.

Twerp
03-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Probably the fact that you put the hangover above half of the top 10 movies of the year, and completely left out the other half.
Some people like comedy movies a lot more than other genres. I know I'm one of them

PH
03-10-2010, 03:56 PM
your internet opinion is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xog
03-10-2010, 05:27 PM
What does the internet have anything to do with opinions?

Astrogirl
05-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I liked Away We Go