Hub problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hub problems

I'm running Windows 2000 Professional on both machines. I have a 5-port hub and my cable modem and my other computer is hooked up to it. I want to know if I can use the same Roadrunner cable box for both machines. Is this possible and how do I do it?

PS. How do I set one machine as a gateway?
    Last edited by Worr; 05-17-2003, 04:02 PM.

I summon Kolar and cast mass explanation ... do your cisco netowking thingy! Ooooooh (post whorder)
    it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

You can't put your intetnet connection right into the hub and then send the connection to the other computers. What you can do is get a router, go from the cable box into the router then into the hub and then to the computers.

There is also a less expensive method. Get 3 Lan cards and put 2 into one computer and the 3rd into the 2nd computer. The cable box cable goes into one computer (the host) then one from that computer to the other. Set up a network in Windows which should be pretty easy if your not using 9x.

Edit: If you do the 2nd way you need a cross over cable not a stright through cable from the host computer out to the 2nd computer.
      Last edited by Kolar; 05-17-2003, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Kolar, I talked with Pasco and he's a super geek with this stuff as well. He says I just need to set one machine as a gateway since I already have a hub. Is this possible?

Comment

The host comp is a gate way using the 2nd way, for all computers on the network, but putting the cable box into the hub then cables from the hub into other computers will not work.

1.)

Cable box----in---->router--out---->Hub----more then one comp--->

2.)

Cable box----into LAN card 1-->Comp 1-----2nd Lan card----cross over cable---->2nd computer's LAN card

Thats about it. For #2 you can use stright through cables and not cross over, with the hub to switch over the connection.

Another thing you can do is buy a hub-router that does the same thing eliminating the whole thing

3.)Cable box---->Router-hub----->computers
          Last edited by Kolar; 05-17-2003, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Thank you Kolar. I'm going with the Cable--->Router--->Hub--->Computers. Thank you for your time

Comment

Yeah that way you don't have to have both computers on and the network will be more stable .

Comment

Working...
              X