This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 7 Summary

Well it was dueling first for Week 7, and the spaceship pilots got the big day off to a fast start. Emofucks forfeited obviously to Top5Squad (5-2), so I was free to do some looking around.

In a game that had massive implications later, Ez or Wut (5-2) defeated Candy King (4-3). This is what I said in my preview article about these two teams:
    Similarly to Underground, Ez or Wut controls its own destiny for the playoffs. They are in the hunt for a first-round bye and could throw that hunt into chaos by beating Candy King twice.
    The game was a surprising blowout. Simple Mistake (16-9) has had some big games in limited showings this year and took home the MVP. Rookie (14-8) is turning into this year's Unabled. Guy just keeps surprising me and going positive....although he's nowhere near a rookie. Raspi turned in a typical Raspi-esque performance (10-2).

In the next game, which was also a blowout, Underground (5-2) defeated Blood Choke (4-3). Turban (15-8) keeps telling us he used to be (and is getting better again as) a warbird, and he showed it today against the over-matched javs of Blood Choke. Obi also put in his best game of the season (13-6) in the win.

Finally, in another game that turned out to be huge (as both teams just kept losing games they needed to win) Ruby (3-4) defeated Gypsy Humpers (2-5). Racka (13-10) showed up when Draft needed him, but Apok was nowhere to be seen. They've only shown up once the same week, and of course it was against Emofucks (not even worth either of them showing). High Templar lagged out at the beginning of the game, driving Draft into a psycho rage, but HT came back (14-4) and continued his stellar season. Jamal also carried the beginning of the game (starting 7-0 before finishing 14-6) until Racka and HT started getting some kills.

As far as failures goes, Candy King cost themselves the #1 seed in the playoffs (and subsequently they now have potential games against Top5Squad in the semis), by the large tiebreaker swing in this dueling game. Minotar (1-10) had a good game last week, but apparently he could not get it done this week. Most people expected better of Burnt (5-10) also, and the absence of Kyou (who has been one of the best WBs this season) surely hurt. Blood Choke and Gypsy Humpers just didn't get the right personnel on for the game, and nothing more needs to be said of Emofucks.

The final warbird standings:
    Code:
    Rank   Team      Record (TB)
    1. Top5Squad      5-2   (27)
    2. Underground    5-2   (26)
    3. Ez or Wut      5-2   (25)
    4. Candy King     4-3   (10)
    5. Blood Choke    4-3   (-16)
    6. Ruby           3-4   (-27)
    7. Gypsy Humpers  2-5   (-45)
    Last edited by Black Mage; 08-02-2010, 02:46 AM.
    When I stab you, you stay stabbed.

T0MA> play like a man

Twdtj

In javelin action, Underground (5-2) collected their rationed win over Emofucks.

Now we get to the start of the games that Ruby failed to win to get an edge over Gypsy Humpers. Thrill told me that he was confident he'd win once he saw that his javs showed up. He was right as Blood Choke (4-3) handed Ruby (4-3) their first javelin loss since Week 3. Inactive swap healt (11-7) proved himself worthy immediately, but in an important theme echoed elsewhere today in javelin, the captain was the most important player in the match as Thrill took home the MVP (15-9). This game essentially clinched Blood Choke's playoff spot. Not in game did his best for Ruby (13-10) in the loss.

The top overall seed coming into the week, Candy King (4-3) lost its 2nd straight game to start the day by dropping it's match with Gypsy Humpers (who were desperate to stay in playoff contention after losing to Ruby in WB ). Kid grabbed the MVP with a nice (15-8) performance, but the captain, maketso, took care of business himself with the best differential (13-5). Candy King's line featured a few basers, and Children (11-10) was the only player to break even.

Ez or Wut (4-3) continued its rampage through the teams seeded above them coming into the week by throttling Top5Squad (3-4). Rendered (16-7) got most of the kills and put up a great performance, but he benefited from a team that was simply better than the opposition, including hypocrit (8-3) and the captain dreamwin (9-7). Rasaq managed to finish at even par (10-10) to lead Top5Squad. I still have no idea how Top5Squad managed 3 wins in javelin, just goes to show you that showing up is 3/7th of the battle.

In the replay played between Candy King and Ruby following the Hurricane spec controversy, Candy King (4-3) kept Ruby (4-3) down and gave great hope to Gypsy Humpers. Someone in spec watching the game (I apologize to whomever but I forget who it was, feel free to comment and I'll give you credit), said while Paradise was at 8 deaths, "Paradise has some skill, but it would help if he didn't die out first every game." Paradise proved him prescient by immediately getting 2 quick deaths and dying out. Children matched him shortly thereafter, so Candy King could not take advantage of the situation, but the trio of Fludd (13-7), MHz (11-7), and Zeebu (11-6) took over the close game anyways and turned it into an easy win.

The worst performances of the week were turned in by the Mythril/Jaa combo (1-10 combined). As I've been saying, the captain's performance was a benchmark for whether his team won or lost this week. As another example, Draft went 5-10 in Ruby's loss. Kira_Yammato~ and Zeebu both went 4-10 in losses for Top5 and Candy King respectively.

The final javelin standings:
    Code:
    1. Underground    5-2   (61)
    2. Ez or Wut      4-3   (23)
    3. Blood Choke    4-3   (7)
    4. Candy King     4-3   (-9)
    5. Ruby           4-3   (-10)
    6. Gypsy Humpers  4-3   (-47)
    7. Top5Squad      3-4   (-25)
    Last edited by Black Mage; 08-02-2010, 03:39 AM.

T0MA> play like a man

Comment

Twdtb

Now for the long one...2 weeks of basing crammed into one. I'll get these out of the way and say that Ruby (2-5) and Blood Choke (3-4) grabbed the forfeits from Emofucks.

Gypsy Humpers (3-4) entered the basing games knowing they were 1 game ahead of Ruby, but that Ruby owned the tiebreak and would get their free win from Emofucks. So they knew they had to win at least one game and possibly two to make the playoffs. Unfortunately they ran into Top5Squad (6-1), who actually showed basers this week (they just took the one week off after I hyped the matchup with Candy King), in the first game. After a lengthy initial flag battle, Top5Squad did not yield the base the rest of the way. Gypsy cracked the cram a few times, but could not win the base in the ensuing struggle. Maketso lamented that his basers showed up for his WB game, and that his WBs showed up for the base game. Jaa proved himself a top5captain again as Temporary (59-23) forced Draft to say "I was stupid for dropping him." , while Zung MVP'd (72-30).

In their next game, Gypsy Humpers did a little better (and was able to play a few more players since the 3-league rule was suspended), but Underground (3-4) prevailed and sent them home for the year. Underground actually showed most of its talented basers in the same week (and Ease was able to base with the 3-league rule suspended and took on his squads weakness, shark), which was definitely a key in the win. Turban (82-47) collected his 2nd MVP of the day in javelin in the win, while Lionheart (83-38) took care of business in spider. Maketso tried everything he could (using 10 different players) in the loss, but it was not quite enough.

While that game was going on, Ruby was trying to make it irrelevant by beating Top5Squad. They gave a good effort, but Top5Squad grabbed control of the game eventually and won. Ruby has been something of an oddball on the year, bucking a league trend of blowouts by losing 3 basing games by less than 3 minutes each. In fact, there was only one other basing game decided by fewer than 3 minutes not involving Ruby. Jamal (114-64) dominated early and often in spider for Ruby, causing Jaa to send me nervous PMs, but other than Spezza (109-55) he didn't get much help from the other spiders/specials. For Top5Squad, they concluded a dominating basing regular season with great performances from Renzi (118-52) and Temporary (110-57) in spider, and thix (49-9) in terrier. I still can't get over the fact that Jaa drafted Zizu, Pure_Luck, Chief Utsav, Kawrae, Cape, and picked up Dead_Rain...yet still picked up and played thix the majority of the games as terrier. Oder also played well in one of the rare weeks when he didn't show up 30 minutes after the basing game....this happened 4 times I think. This game will be rematched next week in the playoffs.

Candy King (6-1) started the day off as they had the rest of the year with a very strong performance this time against Blood Choke (3-4). Trasher continued his strong play on the year in spider (87-41) for Candy King, while Vatican Assassin (11-68) continued to show he's one of the best sharks out there. Ricko also surprised me with his excellent basebird play. Cintra (14-7) and McVicar (65-40) led Blood Choke, but couldn't do enough. After this game, Blood Choke was locked into 5th place in the overall standings and clearly wasted an opportunity because...

Ez or Wut (5-2) took care of business in their first basing game of the day against Underground. This was Ez or Wut's 3rd straight win today over a team in the upper half of the standings, and they would have one more to go. In amazing news, Humid actually got to play a game (70-57), while Fit of Rage had a good game in spider (85-55) both for the losing Underground. Creature showed up for once for Ez or Wut and perhaps was the key to victory, as shark depth alongside Tabarnak!!! (who has a had a great year and snagged 32 kills in shark today) was perhaps the biggest problem for their basing squad. Raspi provided his usual excellent basebirding, while the Pandora spider duo of glavitik (96-48, MVP) and hellkite (88-55) led the team in kills. Suddenly, after starting the day in 4th place, Ez or Wut had a chance to force a three-way tiebreak with Top5Squad and Candy King for 1st place.

All they had to do was beat previously undefeated Candy King in basing, quite a tall order. But Ez or Wut stepped up to the plate and knocked it out of the park. Both squads had knowledge that the #1 seed could hang in the balance before the match, so there was no going easy from Candy King. M_M God's squad (who went 2-3 on the day in his absence), started the game off by controlling the base and the game for several minutes. I even remarked in chat on how well Ricko (60-48) was basebirding and showing up Raspi (66-44) in that respect. Eventually, however, Ez or Wut turned the game around just when I thought Candy King had it in the bag, took over the base, and crammed like 1st place was on the line, which of course it was. NL>Trigger (83-51), glavitik (79-46), hellkite (75-47), and sakke (74-30, MVP) were the spiders responsible for holding cram and base for what was probably 10 straight minutes, with excellent sharking support from Creature and Tabarnak!!!. Dreamwin (19-4), who looked very comfortable in terr in the game, has to be proud of the way his team responded today (which bodes well for the tough games upcoming in the playoffs after their bye). In fact in the other thread, he boasted that the TWDTB championship was in the bag. I'm sure Top5Squad and/or Candy King will have something to say about that though.

The final basing standings (note how much better Ruby's +/- is than the team's above them):
      Code:
      1. Candy King     6-1   (42.58)
      2. Top5Squad      6-1   (31.03)
      3. Ez or Wut      5-2   (5.96)
      4. Underground    3-4   (-7.54)
      5. Blood Choke    3-4   (-29.12)
      6. Gypsy Humpers  3-4   (-30.14)
      7. Ruby           2-5   (-11.78)
      Last edited by Black Mage; 08-02-2010, 05:02 AM.

T0MA> play like a man

Comment

we went 3-4 in jav (at least 2 more wins than i expected, btw) and still got last in jav as the ONLY negative rec?

fkin singer...
        Gripe> apok is good but he's completely wasted his youth playing this game

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mage
          Creature showed up for once for Ez or Wut and perhaps was the key to victory
          -2good-

now if only TWDT-D and TWDT-J weren't so early in the fucking morning :-(

Comment

those games were too easy, creature thinks he's good!
            AFK

Originally posted by Creature View Post
            -2good-

now if only TWDT-D and TWDT-J weren't so early in the fucking morning :-(
            4:TABARNAK!!!> TABARNAK!!> ?help general aladeen is the best staffer ive ever encountered in my journey
            (zreqdf)>is he forcing u 2 say that?

4:General Aladeen> oder man.. i checked ur warnings once and my laptop nearly fried

Comment

Originally posted by TABARNAK!!! View Post
              those games were too easy, creature thinks he's good!
              AFK
              carried u

high 5 shark partner

Comment

Working...
              X