PDA

View Full Version : Trench is back

PriitK
07-23-2002, 10:33 AM
Bad news is that we have still problems with original TW server and ETA for getting it back up is unknown at this point.
Good news is that I have set up TW on a temporary server till original server is fixed. For Continuum users changeover should be automatic, but if you are behind a lame DNS server that doesn't honor expire times, you might need to update server list manually

PriitK

Ruby
07-23-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by PriitK
Bad news is that we have still problems with original TW server and ETA for getting it back up is unknown at this point.
Good news is that I have set up TW on a temporary server till original server is fixed. For Continuum users changeover should be automatic, but if you are behind a lame DNS server that doesn't honor expire times, you might need to update server list manually

PriitK

Let us get a host to make a server in the US! ^_^

PriitK
07-23-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Ruby

Let us get a host to make a server in the US! ^_^

Sure, if you can shell out $3000/month

PriitK

Agent007
07-23-2002, 12:41 PM
I'll put in $1 / Month.
Only $2999 to go...who's with me?? :D

Mythrandir
07-23-2002, 12:55 PM
Why would I pay for a server which is further away?

Bolt
07-23-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Mythrandir
Why would I pay for a server which is further away?

So others lag less making for better gameplay and more fun for you :)

Ruby
07-23-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by PriitK

Sure, if you can shell out $3000/month

PriitK

Sigh.. why does everyone reply with that, IT DOESNT COST MONEY. If you're a popular game you can get free hosts. Just for the advertisement they are compensating. Even if it is a payment, you can find very cheap hosts that are nicely made.

ConcreteSchlyrd
07-23-2002, 01:14 PM
You're just plain wrong, Ruby. Give me concrete facts to prove that I'm mistaken.

Veteran
07-23-2002, 01:16 PM
Priitk...Do you pay 3000$ a month for us lowly peasants? Thats insane...

Praise be to priitk. _/\o/

RiArmada
07-23-2002, 01:39 PM

Sigh.. why does everyone reply with that, IT DOESNT COST MONEY. If you're a popular game you can get free hosts. Just for the advertisement they are compensating. Even if it is a payment, you can find very cheap hosts that are nicely made.

I think PRIITK should know right?

Ri

Louis XV
07-23-2002, 02:09 PM

You are the biggest fool ever to grace subspace, my friend. Congratulations!

Variable
07-23-2002, 02:13 PM
I dont get you people, we're happy to have atleast some server that hosts TW. And for you USA people, you know very well that if the server would take place there then the rest of EU will get bad pings. So theres no use to nag more about this issue, no matter where the server is placed half of the globe will get bad pings.

Left_Eye
07-23-2002, 02:21 PM
Actually, it does cost a lot of money. o_O I would help pay for it, but I'm poor. ;p

Lots of love,
Left_Eye

Cig Smoke
07-23-2002, 03:16 PM
yeah but this way us american's can now call u guys laggers and u will know what it feels like then.

Left_Eye
07-23-2002, 03:26 PM
It feels horrid to be called that. *sniffle sniffle*

Lots of love,
Left_Eye

Ruby
07-23-2002, 04:15 PM
Concrete you don't know that much, I thought you were smart :/
All of you who said I'm retarded, look at one of the biggest company's in gaming today, Blizzard.

That is not paid for, that's why battle.net is free, fools. Battle.net is hosted by Exodus, AT&T, WorldNet, Etc. Etc. Their just reward is the phat ass cash they get for advertisments. WON is also free, you think they make people play? No, Millions and Millions of Counterstrike players use it. They are compensated by advertisements, Thousands of advertisments beging to have their ad on their services.

Sad to think so many people are that ignorant and closed minded.

Ruby
07-23-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Variable
I dont get you people, we're happy to have atleast some server that hosts TW. And for you USA people, you know very well that if the server would take place there then the rest of EU will get bad pings. So theres no use to nag more about this issue, no matter where the server is placed half of the globe will get bad pings.

You can have 2 servers co-inside with eachother, I guess you don't know much about routers, or networking for that matter.

Originally posted by Veteran
Priitk...Do you pay 3000$ a month for us lowly peasants? Thats insane...

Praise be to priitk. _/\o/

I believe Priitk runs his own server..

ConcreteSchlyrd
07-23-2002, 04:53 PM
Concrete you don't know that much, I thought you were smart :/
All of you who said I'm retarded, look at one of the biggest company's in gaming today, Blizzard.

That is not paid for, that's why battle.net is free, fools. Battle.net is hosted by Exodus, AT&T, WorldNet, Etc. Etc. Their just reward is the phat ass cash they get for advertisments. WON is also free, you think they make people play? No, Millions and Millions of Counterstrike players use it. They are compensated by advertisements, Thousands of advertisments beging to have their ad on their services.

Sad to think so many people are that ignorant and closed minded.

Yeah, I'm just a simpleton. A simpleton who designed and maintains a network responsible for some of the most advanced simulation in the world. But what do I know?

Advertisements have become an oudated way of creating revenue--something most advertisers and corporations know. They've become just a nuisance, nothing more. But let's give you the benefit of the doubt.

The "servers" that you mention are free (for you) because they are subsidized by the companies that operate and maintain them. They are, by NO means, free. Besides the actual hardware, there's the whole bandwidth issue. Yes, someone has to pay for that too. Every bit that comes to (and leaves) a machine costs money. Advertising might help, but as I've said before, most companies that might be interested in buying advertising already are aware of the statistic that advertisements on the net are generally ignored.

Besides that, who wants advertisements? I'm already bombarded by them on a per-second basis in my everyday life. Where would you put these advertisements? In the game? Thank you, but no. I don't need a 100 pixel-wide stripe down the right side of my monitor telling me about the wonders of New Improved Super Absorbant 8-Inch Tapmons.

It's not that people are "ignorant and closed minded," it's that they're realistic.

MaGi kOz
07-23-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd
CS
Quadrilateral I was, now I warp like a smile.

I like your signature concrete. what does it mean? elaborate.

brookus
07-23-2002, 05:48 PM
No, Millions and Millions of Counterstrike players use it
Just to continue what Conc is saying. This is the key statement in what you said. Advertisers pay money to reach a small portion of their target audience. They accept that most people will ignore ads. Since I can't remember the exact figures, let's say it's 30%. That means advertisers shell out big bucks for everyone to see their message and they know it will only affect 30% of the audience's decision in purchases.

So, they pay a lot of money to reach 30% of 1 million people (I'm of course being very conservative in my figures) on battle.net, which is 300,000 people. TW hits max of 600 users. Why would they pay money to reach 180 people? No company in their right mind would pay to reach 180 people. It just doesn't make sense for an economic standpoint.

The best bet would be to find some small company, probably run by gamers, who wouldn't mind giving up the server space, bandwidth, and support time. Unfortunately, these are rare.

llater,
Tony

Yoshiba
07-23-2002, 06:11 PM
PriitK, whenever i run KaZaa for a long time and have multiple downloads and uploads goin and try to exit, I get the blue death screen and from then on the inernet shuts off until i reboot. Why does it do that, i had this same problem with a cable modem and my new ethernet card and it made my old cable modem not work

Hoju
07-23-2002, 07:55 PM
Anyone want to post the address to the new TW server? :)

Ruby
07-23-2002, 08:15 PM

Yeah, I'm just a simpleton. A simpleton who designed and maintains a network responsible for some of the most advanced simulation in the world. But what do I know?

Advertisements have become an oudated way of creating revenue--something most advertisers and corporations know. They've become just a nuisance, nothing more. But let's give you the benefit of the doubt.

The "servers" that you mention are free (for you) because they are subsidized by the companies that operate and maintain them. They are, by NO means, free. Besides the actual hardware, there's the whole bandwidth issue. Yes, someone has to pay for that too. Every bit that comes to (and leaves) a machine costs money. Advertising might help, but as I've said before, most companies that might be interested in buying advertising already are aware of the statistic that advertisements on the net are generally ignored.

Besides that, who wants advertisements? I'm already bombarded by them on a per-second basis in my everyday life. Where would you put these advertisements? In the game? Thank you, but no. I don't need a 100 pixel-wide stripe down the right side of my monitor telling me about the wonders of New Improved Super Absorbant 8-Inch Tapmons.

It's not that people are "ignorant and closed minded," it's that they're realistic.

Blizzard does not have to pay for them. I worked for blizzard from 1999-2000 in California. I know WTF I'm talking about. The advertisements wouldn't be in the game, it was just a suggestion, but you had to come along like you always do and think your some big shit to judge me. I am also a professional web designer, which is hosted by a company, which gives it to me for free, just by me having their advertisement at the top. There are many, many ways to get a server in the USA without paying. That is a FACT. If you deny that is a fact, then you're a complete idiot. Being realistic doesn't mean being negative, I think you've got those two mixed up.

Epinephrine
07-23-2002, 08:44 PM
Ruby if you know so much set up a server then lol.

All the current servers for SS are run for free. For instance the SSCE server is run on a computer on the US East Coast for free. One of the reasons we can get away with it is because the servers use so little bandwith no one really cares. Although that bandwith is little especially at Sonera headquarters or Exodus (for SSCE) it still costs real money ($3000/month?).

Also for the fact that <600 people play on TW at peak times, and around 100,000 people play on battle.net.. who the hell is going to pay to advertise for it? Advertising on the Internet these days isn't 1999 anymore. Even Yahoo! has seen their Ad rate drop by 60%, and now with the current economic climate no one is going to pay money for such a small player base.

Unless you can find someone really nice to give server space it's not happening. Maybe you know someone at Worldcom who can sneak in a server and no one will ever find out after theire records (but not servers) are destroyed :P

-Epi

Troll King
07-24-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Epinephrine

Also for the fact that <600 people play on TW at peak times, and around 100,000 people play on battle.net.. who the hell is going to pay to advertise for it? Advertising on the Internet these days isn't 1999 anymore. Even Yahoo! has seen their Ad rate drop by 60%, and now with the current economic climate no one is going to pay money for such a small player base.

^---- Most convincing argument that ad-sponsorship won't work for TW.

ConcreteSchlyrd
07-24-2002, 01:30 AM
I worked for blizzard from 1999-2000 in California.

Sweeping floors doesn't count.

but you had to come along like you always do and think your some big shit to judge me.

Mission accomplished.

I am also a professional web designer, which is hosted by a company, which gives it to me for free

*INSERT "HORRIBLE SENTENCE STRUCTURE" JOKE HERE*

There are many, many ways to get a server in the USA without paying. That is a FACT. If you deny that is a fact, then you're a complete idiot. Being realistic doesn't mean being negative, I think you've got those two mixed up.

Ooookay Ruby, whatever you say. You've got it all figured out, buddy. The next step is to act on it! Go get 'em, tiger!

PS - Epi's right on the money.

ConcreteSchlyrd
07-24-2002, 01:39 AM
Magi: It's actually a lyric from a Soul Coughing song, "Bus to Beelzebub". Don't know why I chose it exactly, just sounded good. :)

Mr. Spam
07-24-2002, 01:45 AM

I am also a professional web designer, which is hosted by a company, which gives it to me for free, just by me having their advertisement at the top.

Free web hosting with ads is quite a bit different then hosting a game server...

Ruby
07-24-2002, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Spam

Free web hosting with ads is quite a bit different then hosting a game server...

Never said otherwise.

Sweeping floors doesn't count.

I constructed patches on battle.net for Starcraft at that time.

*INSERT "HORRIBLE SENTENCE STRUCTURE" JOKE HERE*

Man, would the world suck if everyone was a clone of you.

Ooookay Ruby, whatever you say. You've got it all figured out, buddy. The next step is to act on it! Go get 'em, tiger!

I was asking for help, I may be a rich fuk, but I don't got no damn money to make a fucking server to support so many people. Sorry, I will never try to help this piece of shit TW community again, as I get stupid ass replies like this that are BS. Fuck you.

PS - Epi's right on the money.

I'm happy for you, want a brownie button?

Epinephrine
07-24-2002, 03:01 AM
I am also a professional web designer, which is hosted by a company, which gives it to me for free, just by me having their advertisement at the top.

Does this mean that like most of the stuff you say, the Boeing engineer thing is fake too? Phew!

-Epi

ConcreteSchlyrd
07-24-2002, 03:26 AM
I constructed patches on battle.net for Starcraft at that time.
I can see it now...

From justin@blizzard.com Wed Jul 21 09:48:12 1999
Received: from starlight (starlight.corp.blizzard.com [63.236.3.70])
by mail.blizzard.com (SGI-8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id KAA59000
for <sc_dev@blizzard.com>; Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:46:02 -0300 (PST)
To: <sc_dev@blizzard.com>
Subject: OMFG <3
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:48:12 -0300
Message-ID: <000102c22f37$02ef7731$ecfaff80@blizzard.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000.0002_01D22F0D.1A1AF5D0"
X-Priority: 3 (Normal) ...more header info follows, you get the picture

OMFG guys! wtf r u doing with starcraft? i wuz playing last night battle.net and some n00b wuz liek "you suck!" so I tell him "STFU ur a fag!" HAHAHAHAHAH

<3 <3 <3

HAHAHAHAH <3

any ways, i think they'res a probl3m with that network thingy. theres lights that blink on that box with the phone jack things on it. i try using my 31337 3ng1n33r1ng sk33lz (OLYMPIACOMMUNITYCOLLEGE4CHAMPS) on it and i think it bit me.

-NT- -NT- -NT-

HAHAHAhaha <3 <3

can i have a fuking raise alreedy?

Dantax
07-24-2002, 07:31 AM
Am I going to have to move this to trash talk?

Superted
07-24-2002, 07:42 AM
Hmm Trench is down again with all of SSCU and it looks liek billing is down in SSCE :(

Edit: Its back now, nm

brookus
07-24-2002, 07:50 AM
I was asking for help, I may be a rich fuk, but I don't got no damn money to make a fucking server to support so many people. Sorry, I will never try to help this piece of shit TW community again, as I get stupid ass replies like this that are BS. Fuck you.
Ruby, I don't think anyone was trying to stop you from investigating the possibility of a company dontating resources to this little game we play. In fact, if you did, that would be great. It would be a difficult task, though. It's quite easy to sit back and say "Go find a server in the US that will host it". It's tougher to actually accomplish.

Advertising is *not* the way to go. Again, no company would pay to have their message seen by 600 people. You would have to get the storage, location, bandwidth, and support donated. If you are actually serious in your "move the server to the US" pitch, you should start the search. The US people wish you good luck, while the Euros wish you bad :)

llater,
Tony

Annux
07-24-2002, 09:17 AM

I can see it now...

From justin@blizzard.com Wed Jul 21 09:48:12 1999
Received: from starlight (starlight.corp.blizzard.com [63.236.3.70])
by mail.blizzard.com (SGI-8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id KAA59000
for <sc_dev@blizzard.com>; Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:46:02 -0300 (PST)
To: <sc_dev@blizzard.com>
Subject: OMFG <3
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:48:12 -0300
Message-ID: <000102c22f37$02ef7731$ecfaff80@blizzard.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000.0002_01D22F0D.1A1AF5D0"
X-Priority: 3 (Normal) ...more header info follows, you get the picture

OMFG guys! wtf r u doing with starcraft? i wuz playing last night battle.net and some n00b wuz liek "you suck!" so I tell him "STFU ur a fag!" HAHAHAHAHAH

<3 <3 <3

HAHAHAHAH <3

any ways, i think they'res a probl3m with that network thingy. theres lights that blink on that box with the phone jack things on it. i try using my 31337 3ng1n33r1ng sk33lz (OLYMPIACOMMUNITYCOLLEGE4CHAMPS) on it and i think it bit me.

-NT- -NT- -NT-

HAHAHAhaha <3 <3

can i have a fuking raise alreedy?

You mispelled 'already.'

Pure_Luck
07-24-2002, 09:21 AM
For a server in the U.S. how much bandwidth are we talking about? And any other information would be useful. Thanks

Seize
07-24-2002, 09:29 AM
I have found the solution! i will fix the inadequate user base!!! everyone join in on the Continuum/Trench Wars advertisement campaign!!! I am gonna post flyers at my university!! u guys should post flyers at your jobs/schools/neighborhoods/churches
lets get everyone in on the fun!

as soon as we reach 1 million people, we can get the servers for free!!!!!!!!!!!!

but wait... we already do get them for free!

hmmm...

im confused!

RiArmada
07-24-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by brookus

Ruby, I don't think anyone was trying to stop you from investigating the possibility of a company dontating resources to this little game we play. In fact, if you did, that would be great. It would be a difficult task, though. It's quite easy to sit back and say "Go find a server in the US that will host it". It's tougher to actually accomplish.

Advertising is *not* the way to go. Again, no company would pay to have their message seen by 600 people. You would have to get the storage, location, bandwidth, and support donated. If you are actually serious in your "move the server to the US" pitch, you should start the search. The US people wish you good luck, while the Euros wish you bad :)

llater,
Tony

I just dont agree on one thing, i wanted to post it on your other post too, but i havent...nm

If you are talking about SSCU incommon (which Ruby was), then it would probably be more than 600 people (around 1500 or more) but i doubt it matters...cause noone would advertise anyways...just wanted to say that...i agree with everything else, ruby doesnt have a clue...

Ri

ConcreteSchlyrd
07-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Ri, I like your user text. Dead Man fan?

Louis XV
07-24-2002, 02:05 PM
Why the hell is this thread even here? Why the hell did it start? Sonera has been providing us with a perfectly good server for several years now, and it's still good. Every time it goes down (once every 5 months), people whine about setting up a server elsewhere.

If you get a separate server up somewhere, what then? You think Pri will just give up on Sonera and take TW off SSCU? There already ARE various North American servers in the SSC system, but TW happens to be on SSCU. And there's really no reason to change that.

As for lag, fu: Someone's always gonna be screwed location-wise.

Ruby
07-24-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Louis XV
Why the hell is this thread even here? Why the hell did it start? Sonera has been providing us with a perfectly good server for several years now, and it's still good. Every time it goes down (once every 5 months), people whine about setting up a server elsewhere.

If you get a separate server up somewhere, what then? You think Pri will just give up on Sonera and take TW off SSCU? There already ARE various North American servers in the SSC system, but TW happens to be on SSCU. And there's really no reason to change that.

For the last time I'll say that servers can co-inside with eachother, it's called a WAN fools.

Originally posted by RiArmada

I just dont agree on one thing, i wanted to post it on your other post too, but i havent...nm

If you are talking about SSCU incommon (which Ruby was), then it would probably be more than 600 people (around 1500 or more) but i doubt it matters...cause noone would advertise anyways...just wanted to say that...i agree with everything else, ruby doesnt have a clue...

Ri

Ya, I don't have a clue, that's why I run one of the most successful counter-strike servers, with tournaments, and the OGL recommends every squad to play on it.

Louis XV
07-24-2002, 02:35 PM
Ya, I don't have a clue

What the hell does a WAN have to do with this? You can't have subgame running on two different machines at two different locations and call it one server.

brookus
07-24-2002, 02:46 PM
Ya, I don't have a clue, that's why I run one of the most successful counter-strike servers, with tournaments, and the OGL recommends every squad to play on it.
Perhaps instead of typing about a new server Ruby, you should go get one and set it up and work with Prit on it. If you have all this knowledge about how to find and setup a server, bandwidth, and support for no cost, you should go do it.

You're going to need to modify your action items and make this a top priority. Go go go!

llater,
Tony

brookus
07-24-2002, 02:51 PM
What the hell does a WAN have to do with this? You can't have subgame running on two different machines at two different locations and call it one server.
Actually this is possible, I believe. However, your performance is still going to be limited by the connection speed between the two servers. This, as we all know, isn't wonderful.

I'm digging a hole in my back yard that, if my calculations are correct, should run straight to Finland*. With some fiber I have laying around, I'm going to set up a nice direct connection to the server. We'd probably want to piggyback on that connection.

*Note: if my calculations are off, I may end up under Mantra's house. *shudder*

llater,
Tony

Ruby
07-24-2002, 04:36 PM

OMFG, go take networking course sometime, jesus. Battle.net has many, many servers that co-inside to one location. This would work as the same with the subspace server, it isn't that hard, and I can't do it by myself, I was asking for some help/suggestions. Not spam/BS/people who don't know what I'm talking about saying it's "reality" when it's total fucking bs.

USWest, USEast, Asia 1, 2, 3 Servers, and Europe Server's are all of B.net's servers located around the Globe. Please Louis, when you talk about things, know what you're talking about.

Nickname
07-24-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Annux

You mispelled 'already.'

hee hee hee

Epinephrine
07-24-2002, 05:25 PM

OMFG, go take networking course sometime, jesus. Battle.net has many, many servers that co-inside to one location. This would work as the same with the subspace server, it isn't that hard, and I can't do it by myself, I was asking for some help/suggestions. Not spam/BS/people who don't know what I'm talking about saying it's "reality" when it's total fucking bs.

USWest, USEast, Asia 1, 2, 3 Servers, and Europe Server's are all of B.net's servers located around the Globe. Please Louis, when you talk about things, know what you're talking about.

That's because Battle.net is just a chat room. Games are hosted locally with a connection to their server. If you hosted SS like that with multiple servers 1/2 way around the world from eachother the lag will be horrible!

-Epi

Duck
07-24-2002, 06:08 PM
wtf not all americans lag. . . i dont . . . 2 much=P. . . .ALL HAIL CIG'S LAG tho its mean

Cig Smoke
07-24-2002, 06:26 PM
:)

Ruby
07-24-2002, 06:37 PM

That's because Battle.net is just a chat room. Games are hosted locally with a connection to their server. If you hosted SS like that with multiple servers 1/2 way around the world from eachother the lag will be horrible!

-Epi

It all depends epi, if there is only 2 servers, the lag would be greatly improved.

Kid Kaos
07-24-2002, 07:16 PM
I think it would be great to do what ruby suggested. The problem is, who is going to take all that time for a free played 2d internet space game?

Jason
07-24-2002, 07:53 PM
Ruby, for the love of god, it's COINCIDE. Sometimes you can be so dim-witted that I don't know whether it would be appropriate to laugh at you or cry for you. Leave the networking to those who have a clue. Thanks, here's your complimentary mint. Have a nice day.

Louis XV
07-24-2002, 08:47 PM
I'm afraid Epi's right. In that sense (such as b.net or even plain old IRC) we already have 'coinciding servers' - billing and chats are all routed through the main SSC server at SSCU. If that's what you were talking about Ruby, it's already in place. As for making two subspace zones that route game data to each other (even if it was possible), there would really be no point as far as I can see. It's just like putting in a middle-man between clients and the other server. Example: Californians would still lag (except only to the euros now rather than to everyone).

And I recall PriitK mentioning that he had toyed with the idea of a distributed server system, but found that it wasn't practical for this type of game.

Seize
07-25-2002, 07:46 AM
why dont they design a way to run SS without a central server?

Epinephrine
07-25-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Seize
why dont they design a way to run SS without a central server?

Cause then it's very very easy to cheat. Counterstrike anyone?

-Epi

Seize
07-25-2002, 09:05 AM
hmm...

people cheat now anyways, but i suppose it would get worse.

MaGi kOz
07-25-2002, 09:15 AM

Cause then it's very very easy to cheat. Counterstrike anyone?

-Epi

Wallhack'd. EZ. Good game. I win.

Bolt
07-25-2002, 02:08 PM
Thank you for putting Trench Wars up on the temporary server, Priit, not only are you fixing the problem, but you are still allowing people to play. You never seice to amaze me. Good luck on getting it back to the original.

Ruby
07-25-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Jason
Ruby, for the love of god, it's COINCIDE. Sometimes you can be so dim-witted that I don't know whether it would be appropriate to laugh at you or cry for you. Leave the networking to those who have a clue. Thanks, here's your complimentary mint. Have a nice day.

I have a degree in CISCO networking and a computer science degree.. and I run my own server..

You obviously have personal issues to seek out, go call the local counciler, because your IQ is skating on thin ice.

Edit: Whatever you say you ass leg.

ConcreteSchlyrd
07-25-2002, 02:53 PM

I have a degree in CISCO networking and a computer science degree.. and I run my own server..

If anything, you have a Cisco CERTIFICATION. Certifications and degrees are two totally different things. And somehow, I doubt you're a CCNA.

THE PUSHER
07-25-2002, 03:48 PM
I agree with Conc on this one. As a former test admin for Microsoft, CISCO, Lotus, Comptia, and Sun... I most certainly know they are not degrees :). Hence the monaker, 'IT Certifications.'

THE PUSHER
07-25-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Bolt
Thank you for putting Trench Wars up on the temporary server, Priit, not only are you fixing the problem, but you are still allowing people to play. You never cease to amaze me. Good luck on getting it back to the original.

Agreed.

Pure_Luck
07-26-2002, 01:53 AM
Anyone want to give me an idea on what type of bandwidth is needed for a server in the U.S.? Thank you.

Mythrandir
07-26-2002, 03:38 AM
I don't think people know, Pure_Luck... except for PriitK then :)

I think you can count on AT LEAST 1.0kB/sec up and 0.5kB/sec down per player.

(When I was speccing the spawning place of pub, I was downloading about 0.5 kB/sec...
You do the math for events like WW2...)

arrogance
07-26-2002, 06:25 AM
I used to subspace on a windows machine that was behind a Linux firewall that I also used for desktop stuff. I was running this app called gkrellm that showed me the amount of traffic going through my NIC's. According to that it looked like 3.5 - 5k/sec, but I really don't know how accurate it was.

arrogance
07-26-2002, 06:26 AM
And big props to Priitk! He's obviously making alot of sacrifices for this game and we all sit back and reap the rewards. GG Priitk.

Left_Eye
07-26-2002, 07:20 AM
The original server seems back online now.

Lots of love,
Left_Eye

Bilange
07-26-2002, 05:31 PM
You think Pri will just give up on Sonera and take TW off SSCU? [...] there's really no reason to change that.

Close this thread please, everything has been said :)

Ataris
07-26-2002, 11:12 PM
Priitk is almost equivalent to uhhh God no i dunno the Pope when it comes to this game.

AMEN priitk.

U.S. server would be nice but it doesnt really bother me if I lag or not peole can bitsh all they want but nothing is gonna happen any time soon so live with it people. Everytime this happens posts come up about a U.S. server. LIVE W? IT

Yes it sucks being called a lagger *cries*

PolluX
02-04-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Bilange
Close this thread please, everything has been said :)
wait!

I got cookies.
Anyone cares for a cookie?

GuruMeditation
02-04-2003, 09:48 AM
Goddamn it Pollux.

Closed.