AMD owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD owners

Hi, i've got a AMD Athlon 1.333gb procesor, and it's over heating all the time
    (starts @ 69c and restarts after a few hours @ 80-90c).
    I've already have the CPU/MB fan changed like 3 times,
    but the problem allways comes back. I called the AMD official provider in Israel and they say lower
    then 93c is fine, and the only thing they had left to offer is
    Thermaltake Volcano (http://www.thermaltake.com/products/k7&370MenuR.htm- I don't remmber the exact model).
    So, i was wondering if any of you AMD users have any better ideas to offer? or any comments about the Volcano?
    As for water cooling systems- i was told they are very expensive and only do around -5c change,
    but any comments about these would also be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    -Is
    Aliases: Tomer, Golan, Tg

should this be in tech support???

yes, it should be in tech support!!!

Comment

Tech support.
      Originally posted by Facetious
      edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

AMDS are known to get hot but the processor should not be 69c when it starts up. A good area for an amd to be when it starts up is in the 50 range. I'd suggest a heat remover, which goes into one of your pci slots. A better heatsink aswell. I don't know what your case looks like so I could guess it doesen't have enough ventalation. When it gets around 80-90c you could literally melt the processor into the motherboard. I'm getting about 41c with no extra heat removers - colling methods, and my celeron is overclocked from a 1.7 to a 2.0 . You could also you use a program called pc prob which will tell you the real tempature. And if pc prob program tells you somthing very different then what it is says in the bios I would recommend updating your BIOS, execpt its kind of risky to do that. You can proably get pc prob at www.download.com
        Last edited by Cops; 05-22-2003, 08:56 PM.
        it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

What heat sink, what fans (and where) and what case?
          I had 78 and then I put my other sink on it (Alphas) and changed the fan to 120 mm (3,5 V) and it dropped to 45
          5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
          5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
          5: Da1andonly> =((
          5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
          5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
          5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Originally posted by Jeansi
            What heat sink, what fans (and where) and what case?
            I had 78 and then I put my other sink on it (Alphas) and changed the fan to 120 mm (3,5 V) and it dropped to 45
            thats pretty sad 78. 3 hours with it left on and say goodbye to cpu.
            it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Originally posted by Cops
              thats pretty sad 78. 3 hours with it left on and say goodbye to cpu.
              78 is nothing, everything under 85 is ok with amd athlon.
              5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
              5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
              5: Da1andonly> =((
              5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
              5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
              5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Well yeah if you want a computer for like 2 months.

Comment

get some of that thermal reduction grease.

Heh when I was building my comp with my buddy, we put the fan over the processor and tried to run it, but it kept overheating and crashing. He suggested the grease and right before we were gonna leave to get on the bus (we were like 14) i notice a piece of paper on the bottom of my fan. Peeled it off and there was a healthy supply of the grease. Maybe you gotta do that?
                  Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

i have an athlon 1700+ and its overclocked to 1.6ghz from the stock 1.47ghz and i have a thermalright sk-7 heatsink and panaflo 49CFM 80mm fan on it... i get around 40C idle and ive never seen it go higher than 46C when im encoding mp3s or playing games etc.. you just gotta get a good heatsink/fan unit and good contact... the bottom of the heatsink was smooth as hell
                    Surffaan näitä foorumeita munasillani.

Comment

Don't let the PC coolant touch the socket though, I just saw a guy pay 3 grand in parts and fry his processor.

Edit: P4 processor I know you don't have to put any on, its already applied on the bottom and looks black. Its really for Xeon.

Comment

What about: if i open the computer case, and put a large fan next to it? or will that prevent air flow to certin parts in the computer?

Comment

That will just put more dust into it. Get some fans inside or try a different cooling method.

Comment

If you have the same probmem I had, your CPU is fried man.

The fan went wack once. Changed the fan, and on starting the CPU had the same problem as yours. Thankfully the CPU was still under guarentee.
                            gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
                            gravy_: Electric granny chariots
                            gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

yea, mine is still on guarntee too. though i think my motherboard got fried once, but the CPU is still good.

Comment

Working...
                              X