Virtual memory prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual memory prob

I have win2k. A while back I nearly filled the hd so got the messages "you are running low on virtual memory so windows is increasing the virtual memory cache". I have since emptied loads of space, but Windows still thinks I have no virtual memory and sometimes wont let me download stuff cos it thinks the hd is full. Does anyone have any suggestions what to do? Ta
    Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people look bright until you hear them speak.

Check the size of the virtual memory..Also check for viruses, you might have one of those that duplicate themselves on the hdd. I had that once.

Comment

Trend Micro's free online virus scanner

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Easy and free, works just as good as Norton but its free. Also run Ad aware 6.0 to make sure your computer is fully clean.

Comment

ty arclight, thats fixed one thing. I have increased the cache size so it no longer annoys me every time I turn on.
        However this still has not persuaded win2k that I have HD space. There were no viruses.
        Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people look bright until you hear them speak.

Comment

This is because all those virus scanners have a nasty bug in them. They fail to delete Win2k OS.

Comment

Lol necrogen. Ideally i would find something better than windows, but updating to winxp corporate edition should do i hope

Comment

Feh. The only reason I still have windows is because I'm so used to point and click, and too lazy to learn anything else. How large is your hard drive? In any case, formatting it might help. Or, if it's not too expensive, getting a new one.
              5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
              5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
              5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

My hd is pretty small, only about 8gb. It is SCSI tho so its quite good. Formatting is such a drag...but its probably what i have to do

Comment

I think its a problem with windows settings not the size of your hard drive. Reformatting will wipe out windows and save a lot of trouble shooting . Suczy is much faster and expensive and not really used by normal everyday users , so I would just go with normal IDE and maybe get a new hard drive.
                  Last edited by Kolar; 06-02-2003, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Scandisk.

Seriously.

If it says that the HDD is full when in fact your file Explorer reports it isnt, it's time for a scandisk:

Remember when you had Win98/95 with those dos-based scandisk when starting up? There was a line called "Checking for free disk space" or something like that.. with that kind of problem, "Checking for free disk space" would be set to "repaired", and the problem is gone.

If you have Norton's protected recycled bin, be sure your norton's recycled bin directory is empty (check in DOS to be sure) - I dont remember what was the catch exactly, but I know someone that had troubles with free disk space when Norton apps was running
                    Bilange> i love getting repped
                    Bilange> i said repped, not raped :X
                    ----
                    Sending priority 'mail' to weasels and levs since 1999.

Comment

what happened to scandisc in XP?

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar
                        Suczy is much faster and expensive and not really used by normal everyday users , so I would just go with normal IDE and maybe get a new hard drive.
                        That's a misconception. SCSI isn't actually that much faster than IDE anymore--they're just usually built more solid and are generally better quality. However, SCSI drives are usually loud as shit.
                        Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Yeah thats what I was really saying there better quality and a little faster but most SCSI devices cost too much thats why I said he should use IDE. I heard they are comming out with SCSI-ATA controller some time in the next 4 years, sounds cool.

Comment

Working...
                          X