I'm stupid - Fix my computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm stupid - Fix my computer!

Okay, I am typing on my second computer because i think i have shot down my first computer. I was originally going to post a thread here because I was having problems with the first computer's speed. It's actually really fast but it doesn't show it when i use it. Anyways, so I open my pc up and theres a large amount of dust in it. I'm cleaning...ladeedah, then i realize my memory stick thing is in halfway. So i take out my video card(because you have to in order to unclip the memory) then i fix the memory. Ah yes, go me. Thinking I have done something good for my computer, I notice another problem. Underneath the fan of where my processor is, i see a clump of dust. So i figure I could just unlock that and clean it out and it would be fine. So I unlock it and realize it won't come out, so I try to lock it back in. I push down the levers and here a creaking sound, so i gently put it in. Then I try to start up my computer. WHAT? The monitor doesnt come on. It just goes to the yellow light thing. So I'm thinking, What did i do? So I unlock and relock my processor thing a few times to see if that does the trick. Nothing works, but for the past two tries my computer makes a beeping noise where the first beep is high and the second beep is low. High, low, high, low, etc. Someone please help me fix this computer or else I'm so screwed.

This can be one of several things..First, check that you have correctly inserted your video card and memory stick back in it's place. I've had that happen to me a couple of times, where the memory stick is in, but not fully. As for your processor..did you really touch the processor or just the heatsink and fan? With that creaking sound, you might have broken or cracked one of the locks on the heatsink. Did you ground yourself before touching the inside of the computer? I really can't think of any more suggestions at the moment..Next time, use one of those dust blasters, in which you can easily clean those hard to reach places. I do that with my computer and I never have to touch anything.

Comment

Question: What do you mean by "Did you ground yourself?"

I never actually touched the processor chip. I touched the heatsink on the sides and the top plastic part with the sticker on the fan. When i locked it down it just sounded like a crushing sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Worr
        Question: What do you mean by "Did you ground yourself?"

I never actually touched the processor chip. I touched the heatsink on the sides and the top plastic part with the sticker on the fan. When i locked it down it just sounded like a crushing sound.

Ground yourself as in did you make sure you had no static electricity charges on your hands or anything. Static electricity can fry parts, or damage them seriously, so that's why you should always "ground yourself" by touching some sort of metal that will take these charges away from your hands.

I see what you mean now..I think you might have cracked one of the locks..Did you check to see that all your computer parts where in firmly and securely? You could have also accidently pulled a cable a bit loose or something.

Comment

I made sure everything was fine. It seems to be fine, but it does the same thing over and over again. I'm taking it over to my dad's house so he can figure it out. He says it has something to do with the video card probably. Thanks for helping arc

Comment

Your computer will beep a lot if you didn't put the RAM back in properly. Your video might also cause it to beep. Make sure your video card is pushed in far aswell the RAM. Sometimes you will hear a snaping sound when you put in the video card.

Comment

lozlzozlzol cracking noise! I'd be freaked!
              MODERATOR WARNING: YOU ARE TOO SEXY TO PLAY, PLEASE UNF THE NEAREST EVENT REF FOR SELF GRATIFICATION :D -Mr. 420 <ER>

MODERATOR WARNING: You have been violating female players with sexual slurs! This is against TW rules, Refrain or you will be silenced -Tigerex

MODERATOR WARNING: Do Not Spam -Dimboy <ER>

Comment

Working...
              X