Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trench Wars Leagues Manager 2011

Introduction

In brief, TWLM is a managerial game based on the performance of real players taking part in TWL. There are 2 sections to TWLM: Teams and Betting.

Teams

Each manager will be given $4500 at the start of regular season to buy players. Several factors affect a player’s value, for example: their performance or how good the enemy team they played was. It is possible for a highly valued player to go down in value if they play a team of low valued players so the key for a manager will be to find an under valued player that is going to perform well against a tough squad.

Betting

You can either bet on which squad will win a match, or which player in that match will be the MVP. MVP’s of TWLM are decided by: most kills, least deaths. There can be more than 1 MVP, for example: if 2 or more players get the highest amount of kills AND the least deaths then there are 2 MVPS. Betting will begin straight away and will even include pre season! You will receive $500 to start with. There is no limit to how many bets you place or the amount you wish to stake!

How to play

To play TWLM, login to the TWL website with your username that you use for TWD and click on TWLM. You will then be able to access the 2 above mentioned sections and statistic pages so you can keep an eye on the progress of other managers/player values etc.

---- Further reading ----

PS – TWLM is fully linked to the TWL website with its own admin side which means it can always be a feature of TWL! (even after I am gone)

How does it work?

You want to know all the details eh? Wow you are eager! Well here you go, I hope this helps…

Teams
    A player’s default value on participating in TWL for the first time is $300. He gets this different value for each of the 3 leagues and they remain separate because obviously, a Warbirds performance, and so value, does not reflect on their Javelins value.

Let’s say a player gets 10-2 – which is quite a decent result. The following table can give you a picture on how this performance will affect their value.
    Code:
    Player going 10-2		Ave rating of opponent squad		Likely Value Result
    High valued player	 vs	High valued squad		result: Increase
    High valued player	 vs	Medium valued squad		result: slight increase
    High valued player	 vs	Low valued squad		result: stay the same
    Med valued player	 vs	High valued squad		result: Medium Increase
    Med valued player	 vs	Medium valued squad		result: Increase
    Med valued player	 vs	Low valued squad		result: slight increase
    Low valued player	 vs	High valued squad		result: Large increase
    Low valued player	 vs	Medium valued squad		result: Medium Increase
    Low valued player	 vs	Low valued squad		result: Increase
    Now a table of a player going 2-10 – a terrible result.
    Code:
    Player going 2-10		Ave rating of opponent squad		Likely Value Result
    High valued player	 vs	High valued squad		result: Decrease
    High valued player	 vs	Medium valued squad		result: Medium Decrease
    High valued player	 vs	Low valued squad		result: Large Decrease
    Med valued player	 vs	High valued squad		result: Slight Decrease
    Med valued player	 vs	Medium valued squad		result: Decrease
    Med valued player	 vs	Low valued squad		result: Medium Decrease
    Low valued player	 vs	High valued squad		result: stay the same
    Low valued player	 vs	Medium valued squad		result: Decrease
    Low valued player	 vs	Low valued squad		result: Medium Decrease
    Betting

Betting odds are calculated so that they give realistic odds. The odds are calculated by using the value of players. You really need to be good with your predictions to do well in Betting! When inventing the odds algorithms I tried to bare in mind the game balance that the amount of money invested/returned in betting should be the same as that of the other leagues. I have assumed a sensible bet (given the amount of money that I have awarded for this league) is about 50. To win a bet of odds over 2, a manager would just over double their money so would get a return of about 50. This would be a similar risk to a manager investing money into a player. Because of the TWLM algorithm, players are more likely to go up than down, but it still is tough to choose the best players that will go up the most.

Squad to win odds
    The algorithm for odds for squads to win result in a range from about 1.01 to 4. If 2 teams are equal in value the odds for both will be at there highest, but they won’t be both above 2. This is so that there is never the situation where a manager can bet on both squads to win a match and not risk a potential loss. Odds are obviously greater if the squad in question is lower valued than its opponent.

Player to MVP
    The algorithm for odds for a player to MVP ranges from around 1.01 to 14+. The reason that odds go a lot higher for MVPS is because it is a lot harder to predict an MVP as there are more possible outcomes. It also takes into account how difficult the opponent squad is in relation to the players value AND how good a squad the player in question is on.

The TWLM algorithm for player values and the Betting odds algorithms I will not disclose. The TWLM algorithm won’t be changed despite any dislike as it is the original developed by Anzu. But as the betting algorithms are new, I welcome polite feedback and suggestions of algorithms/improvements etc. Hope you all enjoy this seasons TWL!
    Ogron - "Lifetime Achievement Award recipient for 10* attitude [Ardour]"

ranked #2 in ogrons signature of: TWL's most irrelevant nobodies pubtrash bozos with 0 titles.

TWLD Season 19 #70th Best Warbird
    TWLB Season 19 #56th Best Spider

TW Greatest no-shipper 2002 - Present

awesome stuff ard thanks for bringing this back with all these new features too!
    4:Raazi> yeah i flash my badge and get nugs free drinks

1:Raazi> just found a pack of milk duds unda ma dick

1:Raazi> i wanna be a racist film reviewer
    1:Raazi> wud be like "i didnt know samuel L jackson played multiple roles in the film planet of the apes"

Comment

so happy to see this back.. curious to see how it turns out. shouldn't there be betting for every category (i.e. - most kills, most deaths, most points, best RPD, etc.) ?

Comment

awesome work ardour, glad to see this back.

also testing sig
        1:Cape> is infrared the thing that microwave does?
        Cape> i thought it was like u inferred
        1:Cape> yo when u look up at the night sky and see billions of night stars
        1:Cape> im like fuk it let this shit end

Tsunami> LOl
        beam> stfu tsunami
        Tsunami> yo this girl is dead up snoring
        beam> ur blacker than tarcoal
        Tsunami> should end her life while she sleeps

Comment

Originally posted by Not ThiX View Post
          so happy to see this back.. curious to see how it turns out. shouldn't there be betting for every category (i.e. - most kills, most deaths, most points, best RPD, etc.) ?
          These would be good additions Not ThiX. It would be tricky but I can imagine how I could implement these... For the time being, I would like to develop Betting slowly. If you all enjoy betting on squads and MVPS then of course, it can be expanded. TWLM hasn't been around for a few seasons so lets see if there is still the demand.

Originally posted by PjOtTeR View Post
          It was a whole new game and a stupid crappy sucky one at it having ppl choose themselfs on what league they want to spend money and how much they want to spend on it...

It's stupid to then divide ppl into LD, LD, LB earnt places...

Just have one overall winner and call it: craptrophy of the year reward.
          In a rather late response to this, I thought introducing a Total stat would be a possible solution. I prefer to see one pot of money. For a managerial game it makes sense. I have never played a manger based game that has separate amounts of money? Having to balance your money on the various leagues/betting makes it more managerial. It makes it more interesting as there are more factors. More angles to play. Do you just want to be a 1 league manager so you have 1 full team? You would have the advantage in the short game but there is a cap of 5 players per league so soon the other managers will have caught up. The total Stat is the best way to see who the best manager is and is the only one that really matters.

ranked #2 in ogrons signature of: TWL's most irrelevant nobodies pubtrash bozos with 0 titles.

Comment

The manager portion is neat and all, but if you're looking to win by making money all you need to do is bet. You can make way more from betting than the pennies from 'managing'

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Zeebu View Post
              The manager portion is neat and all, but if you're looking to win by making money all you need to do is bet. You can make way more from betting than the pennies from 'managing'
              But can you?! How can you even know that Zeebu before its even started?

I am not using the same odds algorithm as last time. I think it was Vati who complained the odds weren't attractive so he didnt want to take part in it. I actually uped them that time. I am using a simple but new formula that I have devised for this TWLM. This time I think the odds are realistic and I am not going to up them to encourage people to bet. I am very interested to see how it goes...

Comment

Season saved, thx Ard.

Comment

Go Ardour! Would be nice to see TWLM again ^_^
                  3x TWLD All-Star
                  2x TWLD Finals MVP
                  2x TWLD Champion

TWLD Champion 'Season 11'

TWLD Champion 'Season 14'

Comment

+1
                    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

when will it be ready?

Comment

Sorry people!

I'm glad I requested 2 weeks of regular season now!

A few problems have arisen that's left me scratching my head, but I'm working on it!

Hopefully TWLM will be fully working for the first round of regular season.

Comment

so i've come #2 in TWLDM twice now; you'd think it's time for me to win this?
                          Ardour> my fire button is escape key. and thrust is F12. i like to make it as hard for me as possible.
                          Reaver> i play subspace with a steering wheel and gas pedal and a dance dance revolution pad
                          Reaver> i gotta jump on the arrows and turn left to fire
                          Ardour> my movement keys are random letters. i change them regually

Glide> my parents are being evil, they stole my antenna in an attempt to ground me from internet
                          Glide> so i made one

Comment

so is TWLM not going to be functional for Week 1?
                            top 100 basers list

Comment

LF> ?find Ardour
                              Not online, last seen 9 days ago

I don't know what has happened to him. I've been planning this for months but it seems he has gone MIA. Barring some sort of miraculous return, I can all but guarantee that TWLM won't be up for running by the start of week 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X