2014 TWDT Rules, Draft, & League Structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 TWDT Rules, Draft, & League Structure

-The biggest change this year is that every team has to play a 5-star AND a 6-star in every game. Moreover, we will be scrutinizing the star ratings (individual for all leagues) to make sure there are no amazing "deals" at the 5 or 6 star level so that newer and non-TWL players will actually get to play.

-The draft will be similar to past years, with the exception that all 5-star and 6-star players will be put into 8 packages (assuming 8 captains) and will be drafted as a single unit.

Example:

If you are a 5-5-6 you will be classified as a 6-star player. If you are a 5-5-5 you will be classified as a 5-star player. Whatever your highest rating in any league is how you are placed in terms of the draft. A player who is a 5-5-7 will simply be drafted regularly.

If you have a 2-league star who is a 10-10-5, he is not eligible to be played as a 5-star in said league. This prevents 1 and 2-league all-stars from taking up spots from TWDers and newbies in their weaker league(s).
    Please note: This is no longer true. You can now play an 8-6-6 as a 6-star. We have about 45 5-stars and 45 6-stars and this is likely too low and there has been a chorus of negative feedback from captains and players. We're removing this rule and adding this in its place:

1) You still require a 5-star and 6-star in every match, but now require a 5-star and TWO 6-stars in basing matches.
    2) I went through all 200+ ratings last night with 7 people and re-rated all veterans to make sure none of their off-league ratings are too low, bumping them up to 6s or 7.
    3) We lowered any players we felt wouldn't start at 7-stars to 6-stars across the board.
    4) All 5-star and 6-star players who are not played in a game become temporary free agents and will be allowed to play on other teams that require them. I will have a captain's chat where the 4-5 league ops are kept abreast of any team requiring players and those with too many.

I'm sorry if this feels like a betrayal to any active 5 or 6 star players, I really didn't want to do this but there was too much pushback. I think this idealistically a step-backward, but realistically will be a more successful and pragmatic approach to avoiding forfeits.

The packages will remain in place for drafting purposes.

-No star or salary caps to worry about this year, they've been eliminated.

-Free Agency will function similar to Fantasy Football. Anyone signing up after the draft up to the Saturday before Week 2 will be drafted on the Saturday. This gives us a nice 3-week window to fill up the FA, and players only miss Week 1, and are eligible for Week 2 on the Sunday after the FA draft.

-The order of the original Draft will be randomized. The order of the second draft is NOT random. Whoever picks their 5-Star Package and 6-Star Package first will get the first draft pick in the FA, as they are giving up higher picks for lower star players. So there is a strategic element as to when you pick your packages.

To avoid giving the #1,2,3 picks an unfair advantage in regard to the FA pick, we judge it by which round you picked both your packages. So if the first seed picks their packages in the 3rd and 4th rounds, and the eighth seed does so as well, we rule that a tie. Who considered higher placed in the FA draft will be randomly picked between those tied, even if the first seed picked their final package as the 41st pick and the eighth seed picked their final package as the 49th seed.

-The Playoffs will see a similar format as previous years. Assuming 8 teams, 6 will qualify for the playoffs based on the amount of wins across all three leagues. The top two teams receive byes into the Semi-Finals. Tiebreakers are: Head-to-head record, then most win in your worst league (5-5-5 beats 7-7-1), then best plus/minus across all three leagues, with minutes in basing counting as kills/deaths.

-We'll accept trades that aren't imbalanced. I don't think this will be an issue, be we reserve the right to nix really bad trades that hurt the quality of competition or are surreptitious in nature (ie, one cap giving up in Week 4 and trying to trade away talent to a friend for a playoff run.)

-Trade Deadline will be the Saturday before Week 5. If there's a decent amount of signups between the first Free Agency Draft (Saturday before Week 2)and the Saturday of Week 5, we'll do a second FA draft on the same day. The order of that one, if necessary, will be worst record in the league to best. We reserve the right to issue extra draft picks to teams in dire need of active players, likely at the tail-end of the draft, to keep them afloat.

-Assistants can pick for the Free Agency drafts. If neither (C) nor (A)s are present, another member of your team can draft, or we can do our best to pick in your absence.

========================================

I probably missed something, but that is the general outline of the league for this summer. Some of this is dependent on the amount of players who signup, so we may make some changes to adapt to the turnout, but this is what we're shooting for.

I'd like to leave some flexibility in all of this, and just say that Turban, M_M God, Reckful and I will be running this on the "fun, competitive, and inclusive" model -- not on semantics (the spirit of the law, or whatever.) If, for example, it's not clearly stated in the rules we can nix bad trades, and you offer up Megaman89 for a newbie to your buddy, we're not going to allow a terrible trade that hurts the league, regardless of how legally correct you are.

That said, we'll do our utmost to make sure everything is clearly stated and abide by it.
    Last edited by ogron; 06-18-2014, 02:34 PM.
    top 100 basers list

Dates:

Draft -- Sunday, June 22nd, 2014
    Week 1 -- Sunday, June 29th, 2014
    FA Draft -- Sunday, July 6th, 2014 (30 min before first game)
    Trade Deadline -- Saturday, July 26th, 2014
    2nd FA Draft (if necessary) -- Saturday, July 26th, 2014
    Last edited by ogron; 06-23-2014, 02:47 AM.
    top 100 basers list

Comment

Somebody put my name in the bot plz, Im not gonna ruin my streak and login just to signup but if I get drafted to a team that isn't horrible (eg: zidane as a shark partner) then I'll login to play. Also note I'm not gonna bother showing if all I ever get to do is shark, so if I dont get picked all the better for me
      1:wbm> i squint when im angry

Originally posted by mtine
      Yo LF, u'll never get me. Trust me, SUCK MY CUNT U MADAFAKING IDIOT!!! Cum at me bro. God, ur even worse than some fags irl's history. commit suicide since u aren't even worth 5 penises. CAN'T TOUCH DIS!!! Jeez man. ALL UR MOFOS THAT U RULE IN THIS GAME SHUD RLY SEE HOW UGLY U R IRL AND HOW DUMB AS WELL. Oh, 1 last thing: CAN'T TOUCH THIS ASS.

Comment

seems like fun
        signed up!
        Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Comment

What are the time slots for games going to be?
          Former TW Staff

Comment

Will there be resolution caps for any of the arenas?
            Last edited by but...why...per...; 06-07-2014, 02:18 PM. Reason: .
            killing newbs since 2002

Comment

will there be refreshments?
              NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

SCHEDULE:

I think it's better to simply not rotate them so there's no confusion and people don't show up at the wrong times. Maybe I'll bump it up an hour as well to account for hungover persons. So let's shoot for:

3pm EST: warbird
                4pm EST: javelin
                5pm EST: base

So, non-rotating schedule, and base last since it requires the most people. Last year there were a ton of forfeits in base when it was played first, so I really wanna make sure it's always last. If a lot of euros feel 5pm EST is too late, I can put it back to 2-3-4pm EST. Let me know.

RESOLUTION LIMITS:

There is no resolution limit in any league. Draft Lasenza early
                top 100 basers list

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs

will there be refreshments?

Given that this is an online league, the closest I can offer you is a link to ******

If you reload the page over and over, you get refreshmen
                  Last edited by Azov; 06-13-2014, 10:28 PM.
                  top 100 basers list

Comment

It seems to be that this league staff has great insights to gameplay.

Rotating timeslots were horrible idea, that I even called out last year. Making basing 2pm EST was a horrible choice. Having capped TWDT team for several seasons, I can tell there was confusion a week after another because the times were rotating.

Looking good so far. Keep it up bois!
                    Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
                    Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
                    Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
                    Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
                    Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
                    Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
                    Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamwin View Post
                      Rotating timeslots were horrible idea, that I even called out last year. Making basing 2pm EST was a horrible choice
                      Rotating the time slots is ideal so that players who can't make a specific time slot aren't eliminated from playing a single game...

however, I capped the past 2 or 3 seasons and have to say that people just don't even care enough to go to a website to check their play-times, or understand the concept that if you just played at 2pm this week, next week will be 3pm!! So tough

that being said, I agree that 2pm is too early for any league. A lot of teams had trouble showing 5 for warbird and jav at 2pm last year, so I agree with the 3/4/5 shift. I'm conflicted on the static time slots though

tl;dr
                      3/4/5 good
                      static schedule good and bad
                      1:Cape> is infrared the thing that microwave does?
                      Cape> i thought it was like u inferred
                      1:Cape> yo when u look up at the night sky and see billions of night stars
                      1:Cape> im like fuk it let this shit end

Tsunami> LOl
                      beam> stfu tsunami
                      Tsunami> yo this girl is dead up snoring
                      beam> ur blacker than tarcoal
                      Tsunami> should end her life while she sleeps

Comment

also if you're gonna simplify the draft by doing packages, why not do the packages last, and reverse the pick order?
                        So that, using the example, after all the "regular"(good?) players are drafted, Ease would then pick a package first and Zidane would pick last
                        1:Cape> is infrared the thing that microwave does?
                        Cape> i thought it was like u inferred
                        1:Cape> yo when u look up at the night sky and see billions of night stars
                        1:Cape> im like fuk it let this shit end

Tsunami> LOl
                        beam> stfu tsunami
                        Tsunami> yo this girl is dead up snoring
                        beam> ur blacker than tarcoal
                        Tsunami> should end her life while she sleeps

Comment

Originally posted by infrared
                          also if you're gonna simplify the draft by doing packages, why not do the packages last, and reverse the pick order?
                          So that, using the example, after all the "regular"(good?) players are drafted, Ease would then pick a package first and Zidane would pick last
                          an interesting idea. two reasons i would prefer to keep it as is, though:

1) reverse pick order implies 8 is the worst pick. i was 8th last year as cap and i wouldn't have traded it for anything. it's basically getting 2 first round picks back-to-back (8,9). 7/10 is also quite good. if you get the 8/9 pick and first shot at the packages, that puts you in a really strong position.

then it becomes a debate as to which picks are better in choosing package pick. is it 1,2,8,7,3,4,5,6? 8,1,7,2,6,3,4,5? or do you simply leave it 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1?

2) i want a non-static pick order for the Free Agency draft. if a captain knows what pick # they get in the FA draft they can tell a star player to avoid the regular draft and just sit in FA. i also don't want the FA to be completely random and have someone get lucky and get the #1 pick in draft then the #1 pick in FA draft.

so i like the idea of captains sacrificing a 3rd or 4th round pick to try to get high FA picks down the road. you're giving up a known quality starter for a draft pick 2-3 weeks away, while getting a (perhaps) better 5/6 star package. conversely, a captain can ignore the packages and draft better starters and save his packages for dead last, ignoring FA draft picks. I think there's a few viable ways to approach when to take them, and how it affects your FA picks. there's also no guarantee collusion with a star in FA will net you them, since other captains can match you taking packages in the same round and then its a 50/50 (or worse) as to who gets the #1 FA pick. that said, if you do take them early and no one else does and you net Sika as #1 FA pick, you're looking pretty smart giving up a 3rd round pick for him.

so it kinda kills 2 birds with one stone, adding a strategic element to the draft and determining FA draft order.
                          top 100 basers list

Comment

If there is some strange chance that no 5* or 6* show up during your teams games, what happens ?
                            Last edited by ogron; 06-15-2014, 01:52 AM. Reason: I accidentally hit Edit instead of Quote sorry!
                            duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Comment

Originally posted by project dragon View Post
                              If there is some strange chance that no 5* or 6* show up during your teams games, what happens ?
                              In past TWDT's where you had no 5-star, playing down a man was your only recourse. Given that there should be 8+ people in each package, it's unlikely this will occur. I'll discuss it with the other mods, but I'd be down to put in a rule where you can play a non-package 7-7-5 or 10-5-5 as a 5-star three-to-five games in a season if there are no 5-star package players available or a 8-6-6 as a 6-star.

My concern is that teams with good turnout would tell their package players near the end of the year to go offline so they can play a veteran with like an 8-8-5 as a 5-star as they trust him in the crunch more. Of course, there's a risk a 5-star doesn't take that kind of bullshit and PMs me and I forfeit the game and send that player to a new team with a more upstanding captain.

I'll talk it over with Turban, to try to prevent a scenario where that happens and you have to forfeit or play a man down. But if we do, I'm going to attach steep penalties for trying to abuse it, because we really want to promote new/casual players as well as mid-level TWDers getting into the action.

EDIT: Additionally or alternatively, I may just assign 5 and 6 stars who sign up after the draft and are in Free Agency to teams with poor package turnout, and have teams simply draft 7-Star players in rotation exclusively.
                              Last edited by ogron; 06-09-2014, 11:21 PM.
                              top 100 basers list

Comment

Working...
                              X