• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWEL Season 10 - Cash Prizes

TWEL Season 10:

Head Op: Mythril
    TWEL Op: Reckful
    TWEL Op: Undercut

Qualifying for TWEL Season 10 will begin on Friday, June 13th at midnight. The TWEL Ladders will be reset and TWEL Season 10 will begin. Qualifying will end on Sunday, July 20th at MIDNIGHT (EST).

In order to enter the playoff tournament bracket you need to:

- Have a minimum of 10 duels logged in ?go duel for the league in which you want to participate by Sunday, July 20th at MIDNIGHT (EST). That gives you 5 weeks to duel 10 times and position yourself into the playoffs. Playoffs will begin immediately after qualifying ends. You can participate in all 3 leagues, just know you would need 10 duels in EACH league.

- Be in the top 32 (The champions from last season will auto-qualify to defend their title. Warbird - Mythril, Javelin - 24, Spider - Spezza <TW>)

You can only have ONE account for TWEL. Dueling on multiple accounts or playing on someone else's name will result in you/whoever else is on your name being removed from TWEL.

To reward the top duelers during qualification, the TOP 4 players on each ladder at the end of the qualification period will receive 15,000 pub bux and will highlight their respective branches on the playoff bracket. Example: 1st seed would not play the 4th seed until semis, 2nd seed could not match up with the 3rd seed until semis, this is of course if they were able to make their way through the brackets. If the returning champions don't record a single duel, they'll take the final spot in the bracket and face the 1st seed in round 1.

To increase interest and competition this season, we're going to have cash prizes for the top 3 in each respective league.

The champions of each league will receive: Warbird - $75 Javelin - $75 Spider - $50

Second place finalists will receive: Warbird - $15 Javelin - $15 Spider - $10

Third place finalists (Both of the losers from the semis will duel to see who places third) will receive: Warbird - $10 Javelin - $10 Spider - $5

Extra rewards for winning duels and beating your opponents handily:

- During the playoffs, players will receive pub bux for winning each duel and advancing to the next round. This will increase per round: Round 1 - 5,000, Round 2 - 10,000 Round 3 - 15,000 Semi-Finals - 25,000 Championship Round - 50,000

Additional pub bux rewards for beating people by a significant margin:

- Acing someone in a duel: +20,000
    - Winning by 7 or more: +5,000
    - Winning by 5 or more: +2,500

TWEL DUELING RULES:

During qualifications, you will be allowed to use any rules you want. If you're caught being fed for duels or feeding others, those duels will be void and you will NOT be allowed to participate in TWEL playoffs.

For playoffs, it's mandatory that every duel is set to NC, Warp, 10 deaths, and win by 2. If I find out that a duel is not set under these rules, the duel will be VOID, regardless of winner, score, or circumstance and will be replayed with the appropriate rule set. During playoffs, each round will have a maximum time of ONE week to complete AKA by midnight the next Sunday (EST). It's up to you and your opponent to set up that duel and make it happen. Not logging on will result in disqualification. If there's something going on, obviously I'm willing to work with you as long as you let me know ahead of time. There will be more clarification on the playoff rules as we get closer to July 20th.

Let's have a good TWEL Season 10. Good luck to everyone who participates. Message or PM myself, Reckful, or Undercut if you have any questions.
    PattheBat> steadman your name is literally "a mean std"
    ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

265+$ for no lasting effect or anything beneficial to the zone? Wouldn't T-Shirts or similar (which also work as commercial platform) be enough?

I mean, it's pretty unlikely someone new to leagues can seriously hope for anything, which makes cash wins for always the same people pretty limited tools to fire up registration counts. Clothing also does a way better job at bragging about wins than a piece of paper or some bits on a bank account.

Comment

Originally posted by bkgmjo View Post
      265+$ for no lasting effect or anything beneficial to the zone? Wouldn't T-Shirts or similar (which also work as commercial platform) be enough?

I mean, it's pretty unlikely someone new to leagues can seriously hope for anything, which makes cash wins for always the same people pretty limited tools to fire up registration counts. Clothing also does a way better job at bragging about wins than a piece of paper or some bits on a bank account.
      The cash prize will bring more interest and most importantly, more competition to the league. And of course it's beneficial for the zone. Zone activity has dropped and a lot of vets have been much less active since TWL ended. Keeping our veteran playerbase interested and actively logging into the game is as important, if not more important than bringing in new players. Replacing a bored vet with a brand new player is a huge negative for this zone. We need to be putting our resources into maintaining our players AND bringing in new people.

TWEL is also not supposed to be catered for newer players to win the whole thing. This is our premier 1v1 dueling league and the best duelers in the zone will be competing to win it all. We will have TWDT-D running simultaneously where newer, lesser skilled players will have a great opportunity to participate and get better. However, I will point out that this is the first TWEL season that is somewhat newbie friendly with opportunities to win pub bux with each round. This was added because of the popularity of pub dueling for pub bux. Maybe the new players won't have a great chance to win it all but they're absolutely encouraged to try to qualify and play in the tournament. Hopefully we can get some pure pub players to test out different leagues and introduce them to the competitive side of the zone.

I'll also offer the winners of the tournaments the chance to exchange their prize money for a T-shirt if they want.
      ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

Like Myth explained, it's not the point for new players to win cash in TWEL. Think about all the other games, there are no cash to be won if you are a newbie in a game. I see this as interest generator, to let newer players know that there is cash to be won. Something for them to achieve by playing this game more and more and someday have a decent shot for it, maybe. And ofc main point being that current player base stays active and some old vets log back in to try win it all.

PS. Watch out for THE DW TRAIN.
        Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
        Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
        Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
        Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
        Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
        Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
        Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamwin View Post
          Like Myth explained, it's not the point for new players to win cash in TWEL. Think about all the other games, there are no cash to be won if you are a newbie in a game. I see this as interest generator, to let newer players know that there is cash to be won. Something for them to achieve by playing this game more and more and someday have a decent shot for it, maybe. And ofc main point being that current player base stays active and some old vets log back in to try win it all.

PS. Watch out for THE DW TRAIN.
          Interest generator?
          Interesting.. so how will this news get to the new player?
          will it be mouth to mouth advertizing? which is a fail since "vets" dont talk with newbs

Keeping current playerbase interested will hopefully succeed.
          Creating new interest will 100% fail, unless you think about how to bring it with some good marketing
          Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Comment

Few questions:
            Was this pubbux reward ran by anyone, concerning a sudden inflation and pubbux influx? Someone care to noy be lazy and figure out exactly how much will be given out just from a set number of players (not including the winbyXormore bonuses)? Perhaps use 16 players as a base.
            Have you contacted dev about getting the twel op list updated? (There's three people on it who aren't even staff anymore)
            Former TW Staff

Comment

Hardly anyone goes to ?go duel anymore why are we spending upwards of a $100 on what is pretty much a dead league? Unless you are paying for it out of your own pocket I thoroughly disapprove of this.
              killing newbs since 2002

Comment

Originally posted by but...why...per... View Post
                Hardly anyone goes to ?go duel anymore why are we spending upwards of a $100 on what is pretty much a dead league? Unless you are paying for it out of your own pocket I thoroughly disapprove of this.
                i actually agree. that's a lot of money for a dead league played by a total of 10 people. guess it doesn't matter at this point since its already in action.
                1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

Shaddowknight, every word in the original post was ran through and approved by M_M God. I'm not sure what else needs to be said to you. Says a lot about the self proclaimed 'Head of Staff Support Department' and 'Staff Communications Officer' when you don't even send me an in-game PM and would rather create more drama on the forums when we're trying to run a league.

All the talk about TWEL being a dead league/only 10 people play/nobody ever in duel/I'm mad because I have no chance of winning etc.. In the 9 seasons of TWEL there's never been a repeat champion in any league, so I'm really confused how the same people win every year. Also, the lack of interest in TWEL is supposed to be combatted with the new prizes. The goal is to give the top duelers in the league a reason to participate. Without an actual prize people like Turban, Ease, Racka, etc see no reason to play it. Megaman has also said in the past that there's no reason to play without a cash reward.

Seems a lot of you are also oblivious to the fact that this isn't the first dueling tournament to have a cash prize that was funded by TW. The last 5 cash prizes handed out from the donations have been for 1v1 tournaments, 2v2 tournaments, or deathmatch winners. This is nothing new. Some of the money is also coming out of my own pocket.
                  ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

Don't wanna be a partypooper or be rude towards anyone who has put effort into TWEL... But I can only shake my head looking at these numbers of irl dollars as well as space dollars that are intended to be prized here.....

Comment

Originally posted by Shaddownknight
                      Someone care to noy be lazy and figure out exactly how much will be given out
                      Originally posted by Mythril
                      - During the playoffs, players will receive pub bux for winning each duel and advancing to the next round. This will increase per round: Round 1 - 5,000, Round 2 - 10,000 Round 3 - 15,000 Semi-Finals - 25,000 Championship Round - 50,000

Additional pub bux rewards for beating people by a significant margin:

- Acing someone in a duel: +20,000
                      - Winning by 7 or more: +5,000
                      - Winning by 5 or more: +2,500
                      Code:
                      16 x 5000 = 80000
                      8 x 10000 = 80000
                      4 x 15000 = 60000
                      2 x 25000 = 50000
                      1 x 50000 = 50000

320000 x 3 (each league) = 960000
                      Originally posted by Mythril
                      Acing someone in a duel: +20,000
                      Winning by 7 or more: +5,000
                      Winning by 5 or more: +2,500
                      A little more guessing involved, based on 50 players total in each league, which makes 100-150, so roughly 125 best of 3 qualification duels:
                      Code:
                      0.02 x 125 x 20000 = 50000 (assuming 2 % chance)
                      0.20 x 125 x 5000 = 125000 (assuming 20 % chance)
                      0.40 x 125 x 2500 = 125000 (assuming 40 % chance)
                      I'd actually say chances are higher since people play in ships they are not used to or against others who spend all of their life on ?go duel type games, but you are free to place own numbers on the calculation.

An expected total bux given out can thus be roughly 2 Million.

This equals 1000 players winning (and 1000 losing) a pub round worth 2k as team reward, on average pops of about 20 that makes about 100 rounds of pub games given out here. That is roughly a whole day of pub assuming about 15 min rounds on average including extra gains by basing rewards...
                      ... or 666 shields or 500 supers or 100 epidemics or 30769 shraps or... a hell lot of bux.

My conclusion: way too much, but fits pretty well into the rewards given out for other stuff (pub/events). It's not like you don't have to be creative to even spend the bux you make in pub the normal way already, unless all you can do is win by !buy or are addicted to !fruit.

Also, I do expect people signing up just to feed each other acing wins when nobody is watching due to the high reward for it.

Comment

The incentives are only relevant for playoff matches. There are no incentives during qualifications besides being top 4 on the ladder and qualifying. I highly doubt we'll see anyone throwing their playoff match to split 20,000 pub bux for an ace, but who knows. The total amount of pub bux will be 1,140,000 with the prizes for being top 4 on the ladder as well, not including incentives.
                        ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

My problem with this is twofold Mythril, the first is the sheer amount of cash, to me it seems like a lot to spend on a tournament that caters to so few. $20 for winning the league and $5 for runner up seems far more reasonable, even bkmjo' suggestion sounds decent.

The second problem I have is one of advertising, I have been playing this game for over 10years and I have only known about this league for around the last 8months and only because I joined staff. This league gets very little/no marketing, hence the lack of competition. I mean the link to the website is barely visible and when you get onto the website there isn't so much as a preface paragraph or description to adequately explain what the league is about and how it differs from other leagues or even when it is supposed to run. Even after reading the rules it is not very clear.

If you want competition you need to address those issues first before throwing money at it.
                          killing newbs since 2002

Comment

We should have TW Council approve such large spending on a single issue occasion...

Comment

I really don't think having a cash incentive will attract the right people to participate in TWEL. You are essentially just rewarding the people who are still actively playing the game, who will choose to participate in TWEL regardless of whether or not there is a cash incentive or not. Also, cash prizes like this will set a precedence for other events/leagues to require a cash incentive to be acceptable.
                              ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
                              Failure teaches success.

Comment

Working...
                              X