Alternative dueling idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative dueling idea?

Recently, I was experimenting in pubs with the lancaster, I usually always play Warbird, but wanted a change. I now like the lancaster more than spider or jav. If you use some of the same warbird skills with lancaster, you can actually take on WBs in openspace... I was amazed, I thought it didn't have a chance.

But while I was playing around with the lancaster, an idea dawned upon me...

Have you twdd staffers ever thought of this...

twfd (Fighter dueling)
    ----
    -chose any 3 fighter ships (spider, lancaster, or warbird)
    -5v5 or 4v4 dueling
    -No more than 2 of same ship.... like not all spiders..heh..
    -Use the same open space arena that we use for warbird dueling.

IMHO, the twdd, should be called twwd (strictly warbird dueling).

Imagine, this situation... both teams have 2 wbs and 2 lancasters...would be different. There could be many different combinations and would change (spice up) dueling a bit. Warbird is fun, but all the time, it gets little boring.

I'm not trying to tell you twdd staffers what to do, but just proposing a dueling idea that might spice things up for everyone. We could experiment with it and see how it goes, see how people like it or hate it.

Thanks for listening......

$$q

Good idea
    dong burger

Comment

Sounds fun. Wasn't the first TWL like this or something?
      Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

Yup, though almost everyone just played all wbs, and an occasional all spider thingy... if my memory didn't completely die
        TelCat> there arent 'sort of' get the flag

Comment

Sounds fun for a little but, but what would happen is the warbirds would get big MVPs
          I'd rather be SubSpacing.

Comment

warbirds are far superiour over Spiders and Lancasters in an open arena.

Comment

a spider can easily lure a warbird into thinking theres an EZ kill, let him shoot, then place a couple shots and sink the warbird while dodging the thought to be "EZ" kill.
              DELETED

Comment

Originally posted by Dameon Angell
                a spider can easily lure a warbird into thinking theres an EZ kill, let him shoot, then place a couple shots and sink the warbird while dodging the thought to be "EZ" kill.
                I'm talking about TWDD dueling, not about pub, thx.

Comment

Wb is much stronger on radar than spid and lanc combined, but if there's a 2 wb max, it could be quite fun!
                  6:megaman89> im 3 league veteran back off

Originally posted by Dreamwin
                  3 league vet

Comment

Thanks to all, who think this is good, I would like to see something like this experimented, would be interesting.

I'm not saying I thought of this originally, it may have been allowed back in the early TW days.. no idea.... just pondered the thought, as I was having fun with the lancaster last week.

The one rule, where there is no greater than 2 ships of the same kind, might even things out and encourage more different ship combinations.

I thing I have noticed, is once you have your WB skills up and running... and apply it to the lancaster, you can be quite deadly...especially if you have multifire.

Also, I believe with the lancaster if you afterburn forward and then fire.... it boosts the multifire spread bullets speed. If you know the lancasters nuances, it can be very deadly. The problem is the slow recharge, and what if you fire and miss? and a mr. warbird ace is chasing you? Well, then you have to dodge and try to get that energy recharged.

2 Spiders in open space are deadly, but a solo spider is usually beaten by a good wb pilot. Some good spider pilots obviously only fire 1 bullet, hoping a stupid wb pilot will fire. The only problem with dueling a spider is takes time to find a gap in its bullet spray... and its risky to fire at it at close range.

Just thought to add some insight on the other considered ships. I know many of you probably know all this, but just incase..heh..

twdd staff if you read this thread, let us know what you think or if it is possible.... thanks

Comment

This would be a great idea. Would make the game more tactics based which could be quite good.

Would be awesome if this could be put on a trial somewhere.
                      Maybe a new arena something like ?go wbduel could be used?
                      Warpath

Comment

Good Idea!

I think this is a great idea. I agree that any wb should be able to beat a lanc or spider of equal skill, but this will encourage a variety of new tactics, and I think this will add a lot too non-base dueling.

There are other questions to be answered though..

Should there be shipchanges/swaps, and if so how many?

Would lanc always start with multi? (Unfair if they randomly got it)

But I totally support this idea, and would love to see it implemented

Comment

Would be fun

That would be really fun to do.. We could get allot better that way. Good thinking.. It would be more intersting then doing those all wb or all jav duels.

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
                          1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
                          1:Freeze> LOL FAR
                          ---
                          5:waven> freeze
                          5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
                          5:waven> you state your business with sanji
                          5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
                          5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
                          5:waven> and i will talk to ease
                          5:Freeze> LOL
                          5:waven> that's how things work around here
                          --
                          1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

Personally I would not want ship swaps during a round, maybe
                            once per round you could chose, just my opinion.
                            But I might not have enough insight to that, it might be good..not sure..hmmm

max of 2 ships of same type... for 4v4 or 5v5 for sure...like it would suck to have 5 spiders against 5 lancasters..hmmm just 2 spiders can be very deadly..and annoying. 5 would be crazy..heh..
                            or Imagine a cluster of 4 multi lancasters? They could really spread fire an area and kill any lurking warbird with hardly any aiming skill.

Though I believe Lancaster should start out with multi, like in elim.

The optimum solution is to maintain a perfect fighter duel balance, and have more interesting fighter ship combinations.

Whether this idea will be implimented, I have no idea. I sent an email to twdd staff, and no replies. They have not replied in this thread, so I have no idea what they think. Maybe they don't like it or don't have time to program some new MatchBot to handle it.

They probably just have to make a few modification to their current MatchBots... maybe use the current
                            twdd dueling arenas... or maybe add 2 more twdd arenas to accomadate this new alternative dueling.

Also I guess it would take work for them to modify their twdd site webpage.. for having a TWFD LADDER....heh..
                            And write rules and text about it....

Who knows? I hope they do, if not I might keep this in mind for my own dueling league.. who knows..heh...

I just want to have some tactics/strategic spaceship dueling fun....

I think I might take a look at SS BOT programming. Heck I can program in "C' and Assembly language.. should be easy

Comment

I think WiseCherub hit on a really good idea there. Lancs CAN take on wbs if used right. WB's are superior in speed, etc, but a lanc used right IS deadly especially with that multi-fire on. You just need to use that afterburner more .

It's not a bad idea to have lanc duels, it can make life more interesting.
                              Last edited by FileX; 07-05-2003, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X