Frontpage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frontpage.

Ok Im trying to upload a gallery I made on frontpage and when I upload it all I get is red x's where the pictures should be.... I did it on a free server to test to see what it looks like. Is there a step I am missing here when I'm trying to upload ?

Heres the link for referance

Also should I mak this gallery into more then one page to take less time to download?

And I just noticed some typos in that page.......
    Last edited by Ace; 07-01-2003, 09:50 PM.
    "Bilbo" SS is a sophisticated chat channel, nothing more.

The front page thing you made I am guessing is a HTML file. HTML doesn't store pictures it can only tell your browser were they are and how to disply them. You have to upload each picture with the html file. If you are uploading them and its doing that then your probly not hotlinking it to were the picture is on the server.

Edit: Upload one of the pictures to the free server or any server, copy its URL and use that as the URL for one of the pictures on your HTML file. When I checked one of the pictures it said it wasn't on the server.

the small pictures are for example linked to

http://thebeautifulillusion.8m.net/p...hy%20Woamn.jpg

not too.....

http://thebeautifulillusion.8m.net/c...20%20Dream.jpg

Were the pictures really is. If you link the image to the second one it will show the picture but it might show it in real size not reduced.
    Last edited by Kolar; 07-02-2003, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Kolar is right. I had the same problem with my pictures. You have to upload them to the directory then they will be fine. Also make sure there are no spaces in the names of the pictures and also make sure they are saved as .gif or .jpeg etc.

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
      1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
      1:Freeze> LOL FAR
      ---
      5:waven> freeze
      5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
      5:waven> you state your business with sanji
      5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
      5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
      5:waven> and i will talk to ease
      5:Freeze> LOL
      5:waven> that's how things work around here
      --
      1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

Ugg, FrontPage sucks. Looking though that HTML is painful. And it's 40k when it should be a couple k.

If you want to make the page load faster, you could use another editor (or see if you can turn off most of the "features" if you aren't using them). The HTML is only text, yet it's as big as a picture file. Make sure you keep heigth and width in the img tags b/c that allows the browser to render the page before all the pictures are downloaded.

Other options are yes, break it up into multiple pages or use small thumbnail pictures that link to the bigger original pictures.

BTW, tech support/help is for TW related help. This belongs in General Discussion.

Comment

Actually, the Tech Support forum has traditionally handled these sorts of questions. It started out being a Continuum-related forum, but has evolved (quite nicely, I might add) into handling pretty much any tech question.
          Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar
            The front page thing you made I am guessing is a HTML file. HTML doesn't store pictures it can only tell your browser were they are and how to disply them. You have to upload each picture with the html file. If you are uploading them and its doing that then your probly not hotlinking it to were the picture is on the server.

Edit: Upload one of the pictures to the free server or any server, copy its URL and use that as the URL for one of the pictures on your HTML file. When I checked one of the pictures it said it wasn't on the server.

the small pictures are for example linked to

http://thebeautifulillusion.8m.net/p...hy%20Woamn.jpg

not too.....

http://thebeautifulillusion.8m.net/c...20%20Dream.jpg

Were the pictures really is. If you link the image to the second one it will show the picture but it might show it in real size not reduced.

Frontpage made the gallery for me...... can I still edit the links where the pics are found?

Comment

And how do I make them fit to page is there an opion in frontpage for that.......... I will look in the program now...

Comment

Ace, I'm pretty sure you can do both. But I'm just guessing b/c I have never used FrontPage.

And what am I smoking? You're gallery already is thumbnails. It looks like you uploaded the HTML file and all of the pictures. Did you remember to upload the smaller thumbnail pictures too? If you did, did you put them in the right place (/photogallery/photo26713/Eyes%20of%20Mars.jpg)?

It would be better you actually uploaded and used the thumbnails instead of changing the img tags to the full-sized pictures, especially if you are worried about DL time. That way someone looking at the page would DL the small thumbnails until they actually clicked on the picture.

Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd
                Actually, the Tech Support forum has traditionally handled these sorts of questions. It started out being a Continuum-related forum, but has evolved (quite nicely, I might add) into handling pretty much any tech question.
                Hmm...I'm having problems connecting to MS SQL Server with perl DBI::ODBC...anyone know anything about how to do that?

Comment

When I started posting here I saw some threads with people saying crap like "this is for Subspace problems only". It kind of pissed me off that people were looking for help and only getting bs here. So I started answering computer related and Subspace questions and I am happy that some people have followed suit.

Geekbot is right if you upload the html file edited a little it will work.

Edit: If you need a quick resizing program get Irfanviewer. It works well but I haven't tried making a gallery myself. So I don't know really how the set up of the smaller pics works out.
                  Last edited by Kolar; 07-03-2003, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X