Aliasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aliasing

Seems like world+dog are aliasing in TSL.
    Isn't there supposed to be a process to prevent aliasing?
    Personally I think it should be disallowed completely.

Whatever is happening currently isn't working.

I recommend ?messaging Qan and Beasty as loudly and as often as you can, they refuse to take action or give me the tools to stop suspicious aliasers from playing, and I've asked 30x over email, forums, messages, and in-game pms, to no avail.

I've done my part, and they haven't responded. I have no control over it.

It's time for the community to let them know how you feel about this issue, and force their hand and make them take action, because clearly my voice alone isn't enough.
    top 100 basers list

Comment

World is an EGer

No clue who Dog is

Look into Safire

Comment

These aliases require deeper analysis than Smod+ can provide, only Sysops can do that. People aren't stupid -- they're using different comps/ip addresses, requires more detective work and resources.
        top 100 basers list

Comment

thix: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...ld%20%2B%20dog

Comment

Players say they want something done, but when asked to speak up this thread like a tumbleweed lol
            top 100 basers list

Comment

trolls are losers
              Leland

Comment

Yeah it's dumb they don't alias check. Even EG does this as a standard and wouldn't fly. It's not hard to do from what I understand.
                In game alias: mvp

twdt-b 2017 finalist
                twlb 2020 and 2023 champ cheerleader
                twdt-b 2020 and 2021 champ

Comment

Originally posted by afghan View Post
                  Yeah it's dumb they don't alias check. Even EG does this as a standard and wouldn't fly. It's not hard to do from what I understand.

Like Ogron mentioned, there is a lack of staff with those powers.
                  Major Crisis

Comment

I don't need staff powers to spot an aliaser, just play with them for 5 seconds... if I've never heard of them and I don't shit all over them, they're aliasing.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Crisis View Post
                      Like Ogron mentioned, there is a lack of staff with those powers.
                      I know, I was directing it towards the people that are able to do it.
                      In game alias: mvp

twdt-b 2017 finalist
                      twlb 2020 and 2023 champ cheerleader
                      twdt-b 2020 and 2021 champ

Comment

ppl still aliasing. so how about this - if an aliaser is allowed to play, and I spec as a result, who's fault is it.

Comment

Just play.

There's too many games for them to affect your personal success, and no one talented aliases, meaning they can't qualify. If you can win with Jessup on your team, you can win with or against an alias.

These people are alias-checked, and the more suspicious names that don't pop up any known aliases are referred to Sysops, who can do more thorough digging.

There's also players who we thought were aliased, and turned out to be EGers or pubbers with extensive histories.

While I'm not satisfied with the current way things are being done, something is being done, even if it's not apparent.
                          top 100 basers list

Comment

TWDOps and smods have access to the same set of tools as sysops. Alias checking is a bit of black magic, requiring some guesswork. It's far from perfect. Very often, the results are inconclusive. Also (trolls take note!) there are guaranteed ways to be able to alias, such as using a different computer (or VM), a VPN and a fresh login. Aside from comparing resolutions used and a few other small (and highly inconclusive) indicators, there is no way that anyone can tell if such a person is aliasing or not.

And yes, people who don't play TW but have played other zones for years can be quite good at TW. Even more surprisingly to some of the older league players here, pub players can be quite decent as well. Some stay away from league play due to the high toxicity levels of many of the personalities that inhabit it; others because the reason they got hooked on TW was not the highly rigid, structured nature of competitive play, but rather freeform "choose your own adventure" chaos. The point is, people can be very good at the game and still be total unknowns to the 360 nosc0pe blazeit MLG crowd.

If it feels as if people are being insufficiently alias-checked, or their rating does not accurately reflect their skill level, fortunately, we have a system to adjust ratings on the fly. I recommend bumping up ratings by 5 or so at a time until a comfortable level that reflects their actual skill is reached. With diligent performance monitoring, whether or not they are the craftiest aliaser in existence becomes almost completely inconsequential.
                            "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                            -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

TSL should be held to the same standard as TWD and do an alias check when the player signs up, or something

Comment

Working...
                              X