Resolution problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolution problem

Earlier today I was able to run Continuum @ 1240 x 800, but now for some reason whenever I try and run it at that res., it crashes back to my desktop. Now I'm only able to run it @ 800 x 600, and I noticed it severely reduces the chances of me scoring a radar kill, and its starting to piss me off. Does anybody know what refresh rate I should use to fix this? Or any other alternatives? My monitor is kinda ancient, so I'm afraid to mess with it without the proper know-how.

Aww c'mon guys lol, I know you people can see this. Help a brotha out!

Comment

If no one else can help you , you can use System restore if you made some kind of modification that is now its effecting your game play. Sorry i'm not an expert on monitors.

Comment

1st> Its not 1280x800... its 1280x1024
        2nd> What type of hardware you have? Can your computer and graphics card handle that rez?

3rd> Not sure if SS uses DirectX, maybe get a directx update..hmm
        4th> If you have the proper graphics drivers, you should know what your monitor is capable of.... and never set higher than that.

5th>Maybe reset and try again?

Now if make it to 1280x1024....and its jittering...non-smooth graphics...then do this:

Go into option settings... graphics..etc..

-Turn audio quality down to 11Khz (this might help a bit with cpu usage)

-Turn all the fancy graphi effects off.. like bullet trails..etc.. just think common sense.... eliminate effects you don't really need.

-Store some common used graphics into MEMORY, this helps too.

-Also there is an option SOFTWARE EMULATION, not 100% sure, but I think it uses CPU to do graphic effects, instead of gfx card chip, this might also help.

With these tweaks, I was able to run Trenchwars in 1280x1024 resolution with a Pentium 1 (133mhz) 32megsRAM with a Matrox Mystique (4meg) gfx card using Win98... worked ok...

But since then I upgraded to Win ME and now have a Pentium II (350mhz) 64megsRAM with same gfx card....
        With this system I use almost same settings and 1280x1024 is smooth..nice...

Hope this helps you out....

Comment

Thanks anyway, I appreciate it.

Comment

Your welcome, tried to help... someone else might know more about this.. or take it to the computer store as a last resort if problem persists.

Comment

this may sound dumb. But it use to happen to me and you may have a whole different problem. Make sure the keyboard is all working. And make sure nothing is open or pops up when you go into subspace.

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
              1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
              1:Freeze> LOL FAR
              ---
              5:waven> freeze
              5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
              5:waven> you state your business with sanji
              5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
              5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
              5:waven> and i will talk to ease
              5:Freeze> LOL
              5:waven> that's how things work around here
              --
              1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Storm03
                this may sound dumb.
                Sorry Ice I just had to .

Comment

What do you mean by today? Does this mean that that was the first time you ran ss at 1240x800? Or have you always been able to? I had a problem sort of like this before. The client would allow to change my resolution to ones that I know my monitor couldn't handle, and if I tried the highest my monintor could take, the screen would be messed and I would have to move it and center it to get it to work. I ended up having to reinstall my video card drivers, and reinstalling my monitor for it to correctly display the resolutions the monitor can take. I did my highest, and everything was fine again. Try that and see if it works for you too.

On another not..It's starting to get annoying how everyone posts just to flame ice storm. I mean, sure he's done things that don't make him great on the forums, but everyone jumps on him like wolves. The point of this forum is to help others with your suggestions. Dumb or not, the best thing to do is correct them. That's what I do sometimes if I see a post and I know that something they say isn't right, so I correct it. I don't bash it or what not. Just my two cents on that.

Comment

I know Arc , i'm all for helping people but I don't see his post as helpful. And I wasn't bashing him just having some fun, I tried to help him by giving him advice on how to post on the forum but I guess hes more intent on post sorry threads then listening to people who would like to help him.

Comment

i posted a problem that happend to my friend. It may help him it may not. But atleast i put my opinion in. It happend to me because something was fucked up with my keyboard. The game would keep minimizing in full screen mode. I might of misread a couple posts.. But i always put what i have learned from experience , even if it is stupid.

~Ice

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
                      1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
                      1:Freeze> LOL FAR
                      ---
                      5:waven> freeze
                      5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
                      5:waven> you state your business with sanji
                      5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
                      5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
                      5:waven> and i will talk to ease
                      5:Freeze> LOL
                      5:waven> that's how things work around here
                      --
                      1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

It does depend on your GFX card and what type of monitor you have. Some monitors/cards cant handle anything higher than a 1024 768 (my old monitor maxed at that)
                        TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
                        TelCat> hoes get paid :(
                        TelCat> i dont

Comment

Try downloading the latest drivers for your graphics card.. worked for me

-aphix
                          help: (skate) (elim): I fell off my chair, can someone help me up?

Comment

resolution

i could run at the max resolution fine on my vid card - gf4 4600 with latest drivers from nvidia's site, what killed my resolution was upgrading to directx 9. i have to kick it down now =(

havent tried the newest monitor drivers, its just running on whatever it defaults to.

Comment

Re: resolution

Originally posted by DaiShiva
                              i could run at the max resolution fine on my vid card - gf4 4600 with latest drivers from nvidia's site, what killed my resolution was upgrading to directx 9. i have to kick it down now =(

havent tried the newest monitor drivers, its just running on whatever it defaults to.
                              Oh thats a problem , you can't remove Direct X . System restore might remove it or you can formatting and starting over. The normal plug and play driver for you monitor should be fine though.
                              Last edited by Kolar; 07-20-2003, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X