SubSpace Continuum tech specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SubSpace Continuum tech specs?

Just out of curiousity, what are the tech specs of Continuum?

Which computer language was it made in? C/C++ I assume...?

Which protocal does it use? I assume it may be UDP??

Is there details on its custom PROTOCAL? like detail information on SS packets? Anyone know?

Who owns the rights to the source code? Virgin Interactive?
    If Prittk does? why? was he original developer or bought the rights?

Just curious, because I'm just interested and would like to learn more about online games that use UDP approach.

Thanks all..

Priitk made Continuum , and it emulates SS. Priitk made it but it was based on software made by a company that does not exist anymore(VIE). As for the langues i'm guessing C++ because its what is used for most game dev. UDP is very unreliable so I don't think it would be the protocol used.

If you want to examine out going packets use Fluke Protocol Inspector, its still free as far as I know.

A lot of information i'm guessing on because its the best answer I can give. The most logical answer is most of the time the right one.

Comment

A good friend of mine, a white hat hacker... examined Continuum and there is no security concerns.

But we noticed it opens UDP ports... no TCP... why don't games like this use TCP?

I know XPilot uses UDP as well..

I think someone told me UDP is faster? less error correction checking.

Yeah, I assume Prittk uses C++ and DirectX.

Thanks for explaining this to me... so Prittk just rewrote it and emulated the original VIE one. Also thanks for telling me about Fluke...

Yeah, just curious about how the protocal works. No I don't wana make a cheat/trainer clone, no I would never ever do this.

So if someone were to write a Continuum clone, but not use prittk's source they could... but of course it would have to be thoroughly tested. But there is no point here, unless they wanted to change the game in many ways.

Prittk has done a great job, two thumbs up.

Comment

VIE still exists, technically, just not in that state. It is now owned by Titus Interactive, and is based mainly in Europe.

Comment

Cisco deals with Protocols and networking infomation. Download CCNA on Kazaa and get ready for some reading, Note its illegal....

You could also join the Cisco website, not sure how you go about doing that but heres a site that might help

http://students.netacad.net

edit: If you did make a clone of Cont. then would it still work with the current servers. I guess Priit had to make a server side software and a client aswell or did he? I'm also guessing again, maybe it uses UDP because it is a little faster then TCP but maybe error correction isn't a big concern. If I were too download a 800 MB file off the net I would want error correction or I would waste my time getting CRC errors.
          Last edited by Kolar; 07-06-2003, 04:31 PM.

Comment

They don't use much c++ in this zone. I did some research a while ago because i know the language of c++..

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
            1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
            1:Freeze> LOL FAR
            ---
            5:waven> freeze
            5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
            5:waven> you state your business with sanji
            5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
            5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
            5:waven> and i will talk to ease
            5:Freeze> LOL
            5:waven> that's how things work around here
            --
            1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

If I attempted to make a Continuum client, I wouldn't dare undercut prittk... but I would like to learn and try something different with this online game architecture. Just a thought to ponder, I know it would take considerable work to do and there is no real financial gain either if it was free.

Ice: <--
              Did you actually look at the source? How do you know they don't use C++?

Geesh, maybe prittk uses pure assembly..no idea

I could try to disasseble it.. you can kinda of figure out what they used by the how the assembled code is formed. But do I have to go to all that trouble to get the answer to my question?

So UDP is best for these types of games... ok..thanks

I wonder if SS uses multicast system? hmmm..

Comment

Originally posted by WiseCherub
                Did you actually look at the source? How do you know they don't use C++?
                It is programmed in c++, with the directX api to handle graphics+audio.

So UDP is best for these types of games... ok..thanks
                The clients use standard TCP, and the server uses TCP with non-blocking sockets to allow multiple connections on the same port.
                www.liveforspeed.net

Comment

But we noticed it opens UDP ports... no TCP... why don't games like this use TCP?
                  taken from http://www.gamedev.net/reference/art...article711.asp
                  The User Datagram Protocol is another common protocol in the TCP/IP suite. The protocol was designed to provide an ad-hoc direct transportation mechanism for information without oversized TCP headers and the complexity associated with them. However, what UDP gains in elegance, it loses in reliability. Unlike TCP, UDP does not implement "quality assurance" with regard to the data that it transmits, in any way, shape, or form. UDP packets may be duplicated, out of order, or not received at all. On the other hand, UDP does cut back on the mammoth TCP header overhead, which adds up over time, especially if your TCP packets are so large and ill-designed as to consistently be split up.

The aspect of UDP that stems largely from its intended design as a generic, low-key data transport mechanism is that it is entirely connectionless. That is to say, one does not have to establish a connection to a remote host in order to transmit packets to it or receive packets from it under UDP. Packets are simply transmitted over the network. Although it may seem odd, this model is basically what allows UDP to remain as compact as it is.
                  As for what Ice said: I beleive most of the BOTS in tw are coded in java, but thats only a vague memory from what myth has said. Chances are Continuum was written in C++. Out of sheer curiosity, what do you care what it was written in?

Comment

if you're gonna try to hack the game/server I'll come after you and make you sing the brohymn tribute
                    I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

Originally posted by Verthanthi
                      As for what Ice said: I beleive most of the BOTS in tw are coded in java
                      True.

If you going to hack something why not hack something worth while. You only going to piss off about 1000 people and put Priit in the poor house. Why not put a whole company in the poor house and piss off 10,000 people .
                      Last edited by Kolar; 07-20-2003, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar
                        True.

If you going to hack something why not hack something worth while. You only going to piss off about 1000 people and put Priit in the poor house. Why not put a whole company in the poor house and piss off 10,000 people .
                        because you'll go to prison instead of getting probation

Comment

Thanks Lain for the info... makes sense...

Yes, I read about about non-blocking TCP servers on gamedevs.net...

I would never make a smod client... come on... that would take the fun out of the game and I don't wana put anyone in the poor house. And don't accuse me of a cheater... don't do that!!!

I'm just pondering the thought of making a game very similiar to Continuum, but adding more ideas... since many people ideas are ignored, it might be the best way to go in the future. I fear that this game's development has stagnated.... newer versions just fix bugs and add afew nifty features..

I assume PritK just plays with this project on the side, but has many other projects on the go.. to put food on the table and pay the bills.

I have many projects on the go too.... but if I don't get busy, I will seriously consider making a game like this, but a bit different. The dream subspace trench wars I would love to see..heh..

Anyways LAIN.... MUDS use the same method.. non-blocking server right?

Does Continuum use Multicasting??? Read about it on gamesdev.net very interesting article....hmmm

Bots are all java.. cool..heh.. I dont know much java, but it looks very easy... like C++..heh.. I come from a low level programming background... like I program in assembly for microcontrollers.. like ATMEL AVR, or MICROCHIP PICS...etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Lain
                            It is programmed in c++, with the directX api to handle graphics+audio.

The clients use standard TCP, and the server uses TCP with non-blocking sockets to allow multiple connections on the same port.
                            So uh, ye just finish your introduction to networking class did ye?

Few points...

1) SS/Cont uses UDP sockets because unlike TCP, they don't have to rely on packets being sent back saying "Yup I got those last couple". It is simple enough to implement your own error/sequence checking with UDP and many if not all fast action multiplayer games use it.

2) this whole crap about non-blocking sockets is complete bullshit. It has nothing to do with protocols or how the server can listen and allow multiple clients to connect. It has to do with how the programmer handles the connections. Certain networking functions do what's known as block. That is, they won't allow the rest of the program to run until they've finished.

For example, the recvfrom() function will sit and wait till there is some actual data to be received. The alternative is to set the connection to nonblocking which then means that recvfrom() will either return the data waiting to be received, or exit with an error which basically says "There's no data, I would have blocked".

As for the issue of multicasting, there are a couple technical reasons for why multicasting isn't used. Firstly it's not routable (to my knowledge), which means that unless we were all on one big LAN with the same subnet, the multicast packets wouldn't be able to reach us, secondly, no two clients receive the same information, so multicasting is pretty useless.

As for the Cont protocol, it's encrypted, using a different method from the Subspace client and as far as I know, PriitK intends on keeping it a secret (much to the chagrin o' the guy attempting to do a *nix port of Subspace).

Cheers,

leroy.

Comment

like ATMEL AVR,
                              would you like to help me with a little problem i have with writing a micro-controller? (using stk-500)
                              Last edited by SEAL; 08-20-2003, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X