Energy viewing in spectator mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Energy viewing in spectator mode

Why is energy viewing in spectator mode disabled? (in particulair in arena's such as base/baseelim/elim/duel/twdd/twjd).

The only reason i can think of, is that spectators can tell players that someone is low on energy (am i wrong, is there a other reason?).
    Well, you recharge in 3 secs in subspace anyways, there is no point (?) in telling someone this. Reading a message that a player is low, and hunting him will resolve in encounting a fully charged ship.
    It's also not that a low nrg ship will get easier teamed in matches than an recharged ship since, again, recharge is within a mather of seconds.

However, there is a point to enable it; In spectator mode you can see if someone takes a dud or random damage or simply ignores damage.

Could you staff'rs discuss this issue?
    Thanks in advantage.

the energy viewing also allows u to view the ships status (weapons, thruster rate, recharge rate, speed rate, etc) so a spec can tell if the enemy has a particular weapon or not. Like in starcon, specs can warn their teammates if the enemy capital has a thor. I'm not gonna explain to you why is it important.
    Originally posted by Acidmouse
    pv=nrt your American you cant possibly understand anything.
    Spiderex> gg
    PureX> stfu newbie

Comment

Re: Energy viewing in spectator mode

Originally posted by SEAL
      Could you staff'rs discuss this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderex
        the energy viewing also allows u to view the ships status (weapons, thruster rate, recharge rate, speed rate, etc) so a spec can tell if the enemy has a particular weapon or not. Like in starcon, specs can warn their teammates if the enemy capital has a thor. I'm not gonna explain to you why is it important.
        Well, that's too bad because it's not intuitively obvious. In the areas using TW settings that I've played (most notably the ones mentioned by SEAL) weapons are either non existant (javs/duel) or so frequent that people are paranoid anyway (base). When I play, I always assume sharks have 3 reps, terrs have a port and a burst (especially because they are team greened), and that javs have their rocket. I'd bet most players do.

Secondly, it IS enabled in twlb and I haven't seen any rampant spamming of enemy energy or whatever. I have however used it to watch people who I've thought to be massively laggy. Pure Luck, for example, I always thought was either laggy/cheating but I watched spec stats and I realized I overestimated jav bombs or whatever. I also have determined that some players actually are just massively laggy, and make it a point not to play with them if possible.

Anyway, I think it's fine in basing arenas, but as far as Javs and maybe wbs as well it does offer an advantage to the people playing if they know who is low on energy, and just how low. On one hand, since both teams in theory have that advantage it might not be a big deal, but I think since it's not really part of the game it oughtn't be added. I would like that nice lag checker, though.

Comment

I think viewing other players energy in spectator mode should be enabled. Most of the other zones i have played have it enabled i don't see why we shouldn't have it here. It shouldn't be enabled in league games. But in publics i think it would be fine. It would also show people who aren't as good as other players how they time there shots and use there energy for there advantage.

Edit: It would also be very good in Baseelim/Elim.
          Last edited by IceStorm; 07-29-2003, 09:09 PM.

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
          1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
          1:Freeze> LOL FAR
          ---
          5:waven> freeze
          5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
          5:waven> you state your business with sanji
          5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
          5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
          5:waven> and i will talk to ease
          5:Freeze> LOL
          5:waven> that's how things work around here
          --
          1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

Originally posted by IceStorm
            It would also show people who aren't as good as other players how they time there shots and use there energy for there advantage.
            This is exacly my point, how do people use their energy, do they afterburn alot, bullet till their 300 nrg (jav), got a random damage, etc , etc. I don't see what's wrong with showing this information to the spec'rs. In fact, it's a great feature.

So... whats the reason for not showing nrg... who really why it's disabled for 100%, and is altering this open for discussion? (in other words am i wasting my time right now?)

Thanks in advantage.
            Last edited by SEAL; 07-30-2003, 03:05 AM.

Comment

err edit, not quote

Comment

The information is already sent to your computer, and even if it wasn't the lag generated would be like 0.00000001% more than it used to be.
                sdg

Comment

Re: Energy viewing in spectator mode

Originally posted by SEAL
                  Why is energy viewing in spectator mode disabled? (in particulair in arena's such as base/baseelim/elim/duel/twdd/twjd).

is there really noone who can answer me on this?

Comment

Working...
                  X