How to make recruiting and looking for a squad easier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make recruiting and looking for a squad easier

So there are probably many players out there who are looking for a squad but does not know who to contact or whatever. Also there are alot of TWD squads that need new members but have difficulties finding them.
    Solution:
    A new section to the TWD site which would be like a market for "selling and buying" players. One could apply there using their twd account and fill in some boxes that would tell something about the player (baser/dueller, ex-squads etc) and by clicking on the name you would get more info about the player.
    Just a long list of these names and the captains who need players could check there for upcoming talents.

Waddayathink?
    5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
    5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
    5: Da1andonly> =((
    5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
    5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
    5: Epinephrine> oh shit

That isnt too bad of an idea. Most people who recruit go to baseelim for javs then elim for wbs and pubs for who ever and basing squads usually go to ?go base and sometimes publics. Then there are the other squads.. Which only play pubs that go around asking people. It would be a good idea to have a site with info and etc. And in info it would be a good idea to have there elim rankings and also there twd rankings. But still it shouldn't always be about rank. The site your thinking about could have peoples names and they could put if they are looking for a squad or allready in one or will switch to a different one asap.
    btw i think the easy way to contact squads it to either Email them or :#squad:Message them
    And i don't really get the whole "buying/selling" this woudn't be another fantasy league. The site would only be so people could find out more info about the player. And so they dont have to keep ?find on one of there macros for him. It would just be a solution to make people aware who is in what and who needs to get in what. Instead of getting pmed in elim or base with "Join my squad" .. This would be a waste of time thou because squads aren't hard to get a hand on unless they don't notice you.

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
    1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
    1:Freeze> LOL FAR
    ---
    5:waven> freeze
    5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
    5:waven> you state your business with sanji
    5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
    5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
    5:waven> and i will talk to ease
    5:Freeze> LOL
    5:waven> that's how things work around here
    --
    1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

Kind of what Battle.net has for clans... a lil advertisement place for newly made squads that don't care about initial skill level (you really can't if you're advertising your squad like that).

Comment

I just PM squad captains and annoy them until I'm in.
        jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

hockey zone has a forum specifically for recruitment issues (squads looking for players and players looking for squads)

but that takes half the fun out of personalizing things. stick with invitations and tryouts
          Philos> I both hate you and like you more than anyone in this game randedl
          Philos> there is something about you
          Philos> You're like the wife i'd love to fuck, but beat every night after work

PhaTz> we should all wear t-shirts that says "I WAS THERE WHEN RANDEDL LOST TWLD" and on the back, "TWICE"

Comment

Tryouts... only newbie squads recruit through tryouts nowadays.

And it doesn't matter. There are hardly any GOOD squadless people that play base, wbduel, elim, etc. If someone isn't getting asked to join a squad, they're probably too crappy to join one in the first place.
            sdg

Comment

Sad, but Stab speaks the truth. There are very few decent ?go base players left that aren't already on a [competitive] squad. So the next step is that everybody hops around till they find a squad they can stand. It'll be like musical chairs.

Ready? Go!
              5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
              5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
              5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

If you recruit on numbers alone, you're gonna get burned with at least one, but probably more, asshole you don't really want on your squad. Personality weighs a lot more than numbers... one the scale of recruiting (?)
                Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

This works for hz, why wouldn't it work for tw?
                  MODERATOR WARNING: STOP SEXUALLY HARASSING ME, MEANIE :( -Angel <ZH>

Comment

I don't think it would work for TWL level squads because most players who can compete on this level are well known and if they are squadless they will get invited. But what about TWD squads who need players? "Good" (read: well-known) players don't want to join new squads and it is hard to recruit ppl just by looking at their pub rec and nickname and duelling with them once.
                    5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                    5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                    5: Da1andonly> =((
                    5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                    5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                    5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

I think you're over looking the fact that if the recruits and the captains of these squads are as new as you've made them out to be, they're probably going to have a hard time manuevering to the forums or to the twd site in the first place. Just seems like there's plenty to be done on twd before something like this.

Comment

Yes, I agree with you all in regards to recruitment, but I wish
                        there was these improvements to the twdd webpage or have an arena with a special bot for twdd.

Ok, on the webpage have a overall database for every ship type, and also have it sorted...like have TOP TWDD PILOTS.... for my squad on my webpage.... in my roster, I take kills / death... over 1.0 indicates POSITVE RECS, which means good stuff. Pilot stats like 0.400-0.500 means bad luck or poor skills.

This way we can see who is #1... plus add some competition in another way... help solve lineup selection..etc

*But add a feature within this pilot database to have a little INDICATOR whether they are free agent (Thinking of leaving the squad). Then a bidding squad could request their attention and they could meet online later.... chat and duel...see if it will work out..etc

Also you good (Much better idea, and quicker), have an arena (callit.. twddrecruit)... have a special bot in there that will spit out a specific player stats/infos, a top10 or top50 twdd pilot list.... or finally... a TWD Pilot wanted squad list.... then us squad captains could message them and setup a time to meet online..etc..
                        Also a free agent could notify the master twdd pilot database...that they are looking!!

For now, as far as I know there is only 3 ways to recruit:

1> Squad Tryout Arena - Lame method and gets you into a world of sh!t. Honestly, I have done this before..heh.. and you just attract trouble. Plus its boring....

2> Recruit friends from past squads or local friends(get them to try out this game)... I picked up a few this way

3> SPEC/PLAY Scouting... go into PUB, ELIM, DUEL, BASE..etc and play the pilot... get a feel, if they give you a challenge and show basic/advance tactics... just ask them if they are interested. You never know.

I personally avoid prompting the question to ELIM players, cause they go there to play, not to chitchat..etc... Plus, most ELIM players are on a squad and are happy.... they would find it annoying. I would..heh... but others told me recruiting from elim, you never know...

May I further add.... oops another long message, sorry, haven't posted in awhile.... You can take your chances recruiting a newb and train them up. I have tried this, with disappointing results.

I even tailored a newb training package.... I compiled a solo/twdd tactics doc, and other tips... to try to quickly transform a newb pilot to average within a few weeks. It sort of works, but most stagnate...or don't have the patience to learn. So I feel rather frustrated about this and given up on this concept. Basically a new pilot with potential must have the THIRST/AMBITION to seriously improve...if they don't then its just one big waste of time to deal with them.

the end... thank god eh? heh...

Comment

New guys that come into tw, often get stuck into pub thinking, "oh boy, this wb sure is fun!". After a few weeks they get bored of it, and leave tw. This should be fixed somehow. And oh yeah, btw, I wanna see stats for squadless players in twd too. It'd be nice to see the past squads of a guy I'm gonna recruit before recruiting him.
                          6:megaman89> im 3 league veteran back off

Originally posted by Dreamwin
                          3 league vet

Comment

This would be mroe useful in a draft league situation.
                            The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
                            All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

Good point Miku19, when I was first introduced to twdd back in May, it opened up a new facet of TW for me.

Yes, I sucked at first.... but TWDD acted as a catalyst to improve my warbird skills.... I got beaten bad in twdd and occasionally still do..(by only very elite pilots)..heh.. I hated to lose, it was embarassing.... so I pressed on and on, and in the end my skills have improved.

It all comes to leadership on the part of squad captains. Sometimes, they should visit the pubs and look for potential and train them up... not all the time, but occasionally. This will add to the twdd pilot population pool.

I have taken new pilots and trained them up.... sort of spoon feed them with important tips. I had to learn the hard way myself, and it takes considerable amount of time. Luckily, I'm resourceful and located the tips myself.

Not to be a spoiler, but here is two important tips; I think it is fair that all of us should know this.

For warbird dueling... I suggest strongly....

-BIGBULLETs bitmap... get it from paladen webpage
                              -Set your graphics resolution to 1280x1024.

If you don't do this, you are sort of handicapped.

1280 gives you more view screen area, and BIGBULLETS makes bullets more visible. Warbird bullets are white and very easy to see.

These two small improvements, help you with aiming and dodging.

But that is not the end of the story, there is other stuff you have to know.... other factors..... tactics/strategy and your quick reflexes.

Basically, if you have a good gun, doesn't mean you can aim well...it takes practice.

Comment

Working...
                              X