How to deal with big laggers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with big laggers?

I guess its in the eye of the beholder to do their own conclusions how this affects the gameplay. But I see it as a problem that need to be dealt with in order for everyone to enjoy the game.

I would once and for all like to see that the current state of the limit before you get specced for high latency gets reduced and it makes no sense that you can actually play or be allowed to play with a ping around 400. We all know what happens with ppl playing with that kind of high latency and its only getting frustrating in the end for everyone.
    Id like to raise this matter once again, just because its a very important factor and many times it intrudes on the outcome of an elim for example.

The resolution limit was one step in making everyone available to play on the same terms. Ive damned it many times but in a clear mind you have to understand, sooner or later that it is for the best of everyone.
    I feel the same has come to the issue of lag, ping and packetloss for that matter. Today we are not allowed to play on the same terms, and I dont think i have to explain how the lag in SS/Cont works, we all know that pretty good by now.

So what do I want to see changed ?
    Well first of all a reduced limit for how high ping you are allowed to have before you get specced. My suggestion is a limit at 350ms and that is still a very generous offer. But I think that is fair. The last thing is a packetloss limit at 3%.
    Enforcing this would make TW a better and more fun place to be at and it first of all generates fair play.

Thx ..
    Hello. My dilemma is this: I love my guitar, but my guitar don't love me back. What should I do? Stevie Ray Vaughn's guitar was his first wife, she didn't speak to him, she spoke for him. That's the kind of relationship I'm trying to develop with it.

Dr. Zaius Replies:

As much as I work with your kind, you humans never cease to baffle me. It is bizarre and pathetic that you expect your "love" for an inanimnate object to be returned. The real problem is that music is a high art, and as such it requires a higher intelligence, and a fully developed set of emotions. Give up.

You're a project

Comment

I disagree. It's not like people want to lag (apart from those of you that download when your playing), and it's unfair to those that do lag and can't play because of it. We're not all lucky enough to have a good connection (like me for one) so if you do see someone that lags, just stay away from him.

Comment

I'd like to see the packetloss limit lowered, but many people with not-so-good connections can't keep their ping down. But even when I had a 56k, AOL, and an average of 450 ms, I still had 0.0-0.2% packetloss.
        Praise "Bob"

la música

Comment

Personally I think a max ping of 400 is reasonable for leagues and elim. Allowing people with 400 or higher to play is just ridiculous and has the potential to break the fairness of the game. I'm sure a lot of people saw erad posting ridiculous elim scores yesterday because he was downloading movies and had a 450 ping the entire day... which is probably why this topic was brought up. Any legitimate connection should be able to get under 400.

Comment

A lagers view

agreed, lag is an advantage, limits should be lowerd.
            i think that would be a nasty move to do right now. the limits should be lowred in fazes: first the leagues, after that elims and tournys, and finaly pubs.

in my rejion of Israel, borad bann isnt available..it wont be available untill 2003, and even then the cost is 80$ for the instalation, 50$ monthly fee for the conection, and another 50$ monthly fee for the ISP.

but i have an offer that will make evrery one happy, give us the server and we will give you the lag $$$
            Aliases: Tomer, Golan, Tg

Comment

If the reason the limit is so high is because it's not fair for the people that can't get better connections (2dragons, Israel, etc.), then how about we make it more fair for everyone- What about the people with 1 arm, lets cater to them and say everyone has to play with 1 hand. Even better how about the people with MacOS, lets all stop playing until they make a Mac version of Continuum because it's not fair!

Originally posted by NaiLed
              I disagree. It's not like people want to lag (apart from those of you that download when your playing.
              That's just the thing, the people who lag know how to use it and it's a huge advantage. For the record

lag = advantage

When I played 2 years ago with my dialup I had consistent 280-300 ping to Trench Wars. I was so much better at the game it's ridiculous. I knew how to "abuse" the lag it makes me nostalgiac. I was even in some top squads (BackStab, Burnt) and that was long before the res limit, I was playing at a lower res than 1280x1024.

My point is simple, lag is unfair we need restrictions.

EDIT: Pub isn't competitive and you can always type ?go so keep Pub the way it is. Leagues and elim are what I'm referring to
              I'd rather be SubSpacing.

Comment

woohoo- i like ur idea's

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Webbb Llama v1.5
                [B]If the reason the limit is so high is because it's not fair for the people that can't get better connections (2dragons, Israel, etc.), then how about we make it more fair for everyone- What about the people with 1 arm, lets cater to them and say everyone has to play with 1 hand. Even better how about the people with MacOS, lets all stop playing until they make a Mac version of Continuum because it's not fair!

great idea's. altough i think compering the fact that over 50% of the worlds population (which owns computers) dosnt have the access nor the resources for high speed internet, to physical disabilitys and some operating system that is probably used by less then 10% of the world population (which owns computers) , is somewhat incorrect.
                but as i said nice try.

P.S. feel free to correct those #, i was only roughly estimating.

Comment

fyi

Connecting from the US when the path passes from NY to london it adds at least 100ms raising a 56K connection to near 250ms ping, and by time it goes through the tele.fi routers another 50 to 100ms can easily add, especially when it snows there. So from the US we often have to endure 280 to 380ms ping... making it near impossible to hit anything with a spider.
                  Sure would be nice to have a TW server stateside.

Comment

They'll never do it. TW has always catered to newbies and poor people, whether it be the res restriction or 1-hit kills.

When they made the res restriction because it imbalanced the game I suggested that we should add "artificial lag" so that everyone averages around 250 or so

-Epi
                    Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                    www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                    www.animeslice.com

Comment

The res restriction wasn't only meant to make the game more fair it was meant to make TW have more replay since it was not designed for higher resolutions.

A lower ping limit would do both as well.
                      I'd rather be SubSpacing.

Comment

Well in my expirience my lag has hurt me a lot more than the other ppl playing against me. I have cable, lag like this is not uncommon:

PING Current:190 ms Average:250 ms Low:140 ms High:2430 ms S2C: 0.2% C2S: 0.7%

Now this means i usually jump around a bit, sometimes its just a little, sometimes its a lot. Of course players often complain that i lag and i have no problem with them doing so. What i do have a problem with is players who assume the only skill i have comes from my lag. In fact the opposite is true. When im spiking like this, id say anywhere from 30-70% (averages roughly 50%) of my hits on players dont kill. I cannot adjust my play to change this fact, ive tried aiming ahead, aiming behind, thrust shots, slow shots. None of them work at all, so when i go up against some1 i try to play defensive so if my hits dont kill i can still survive. If i charge some1, no matter how good they are, at best i have a 70% chance to survive. The only way i can play to greatly improve my rec is to go pure sniping/radar shots or constantly bac away from people as i fire. I find that really lame and i dont have the patience or the lameness in me to do that.

So anyways, dont assume lag is a big positive for every1. I would love a level playing field lag wise because i trust my hand-eye coordination, my reflexes, and my strategy more than enough to go up against any1 in here.

Thanks, Eric is God

Comment

CUT OFF THEIR LEFT THUMB. BONGGGGGG.
                          PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Comment

Some people like me live quite far away (New Zealand) from the server, so I have quite a high ping. Plus the fact I have a 56K modem doesn't help at all, so usually I play with a 450+ ping all the time.

Lag works both ways, especially when I duel. When I shoot, on my screen I get duds. This is quite frustrating for me. (And obviously for the other player who "hits" me several times.)

When i base, (more often than dueling) it is often the same. I shoot several times with spider, (main ship I use in basing), I claim to have hit the other player over 5 times.

I play in the TWL-B, and you know how the spectators etc, already cause quite a bit of lag, but usually it is pretty decent, in terms of gameplay.
                            Banning people like me from the leagues is not a good idea for solving lag in games. (I have played i several TWL-B games, and no one has complained about my lag). I suggest if the people in spec see a player who is lagging tremedously, then they shall be specced.

Well thats my thoughts.

"What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
                            • Shark
                            • Dicer
                            • Sager
                            • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

Originally posted by Eric is God
                              Well in my expirience my lag has hurt me a lot more than the other ppl playing against me. I have cable, lag like this is not uncommon:

PING Current:190 ms Average:250 ms Low:140 ms High:2430 ms S2C: 0.2% C2S: 0.7%
                              Thats spiking, not laging. i play with:400-550ms and 0.-3% PL
                              most of the time. id say it helps about 70% of the time and causes 'fuckups' in the remaining 30%.

Comment

Working...
                              X