castle zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• castle zone

I have an idea for an rpg style zone. I've already designed a great deal of the graphics myself and I've made the server settings (in a .cfg file). I was thinking about the map and I wanted there to be a castle to fight over. Then I thought, "Hey! The trench wars map would make a good castle."

So this zone would pretty much be on the trench wars map with about the same goal, but with a totally different "ship" set (a character set) and totally different graphics. I've rendered nearly everything using a raytracer to allow for 3D looking graphics. The view is tilted at a 30 degree angle (instead of straight overhead) to help the appearance further. - You can see the sides of the castle walls. For the narrow corriders in trench wars I use a little semi-transparency to let you see behind the walls. You'll have to see the rest yourself.

So far I have the entire ship set done, and pretty much all of the tile set. Besides that I have a great deal of the graphics made, but not all. I haven't even started on the sound effects. What I do have I'm going to e-mai to 2dragons.

I'm posting this here so that everyone can give their suggestions on the zone settings. As for the graphics, they're not done and I already know some of them that I'd like to redo. What I mean is the ship set and related settings.

Basically there are 4 humans and 4 monsters. The monsters start with better minimum stats but the humans' maximum stats are higher than those of the monsters. Guns are made very short range to simulate swords and bombs are used as arrows. The recharge rate for nearly everyone is very slow, and the energy cost for using weapons is next to nothing - i.e., just like in a standard rpg once you're hurt it lasts. Humans can spend the points they get from kills on better stats ("?buy"), like experience points. Players can only move with boost (shift), to keep them from drifting.

Listed below are the current characters. I'm open to ideas to change their stats, change their names or replace any of them entirely. In fact I added the ranger and the ogre to replace two other units that I didn't like.

All characters except the shade and the ranger start with a level 1 close range weapon. The ranger starts with a level 1 bow.

The knight is the basic human fighting unit. He has high hp and can use all the weapons.

The ninja is very quick and agile and later he can gain stealth and "invisibility" (cloaking).

The wizard is very poor early on, but later he can gain "spells" (special items).

The ranger is an ok fighter, can lay "traps" (mines) and later he can gain "true sight" (xradar)

The ogre is the basic monster fighting unit, but he can't use any bows. He has lots of hp but low acceleration.

The shade cannot use any weapons, only a few of the magic attacks. He starts with "invisibility" and can gain "true sight"

The slime can attach to other slimes (F7) and his hp regenerates very quickly, making a group of them hard to kill. He is only 1 tile wide, so he can fit into the windows that other units can only shoot through.

The dragon is a slow massive creature. He has far more hp than any of the others and can shoot a virtually unlimited number of fireballs (see spells below). But his speed and size (6 tiles wide) makes it hard to get him where he's needed.

Now for the "spells"
    thor, burst, portal and decoy are what you'd expect; though thor ("fireball") is a bit more powerful than the bow.
    brick is 64 tiles wide and it lasts 3 minutes, to allow defenses to be set up anywhere.
    repel ("forcefield") *stops* (not repels) anything very close to the caster, and lasts 5 seconds.
    rocket (name?) moves the caster about 25 tiles within half a second.

And the spells all cost points to get, so this keeps a strong wizard from picking on weak enemies (they don't give enough points to be worth it) or from doing things like walling in the trench indefinately.

Let me know what you think about what I have so far. I wish it wasn't so late and I wasn't so tired or I'd upload the graphics to my web page and format them neatly. It's all 3D with shading, features like towers in the castle, some nice animated things, and other such graphics. Maybe later. And then I'll have more of it done, too.

And let me know if you want to use the zone idea, 2dragons. If you do then you could still put it up before all the graphics are done, using what there is so far and perhaps adding something yourself. It takes a little work to organize the graphics together into one .zip file and I'm going to sleep now, so bug me if I don't send you the graphics within a day.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 08-12-2002, 02:36 AM.

sounds like alot of fun. nice to see you've put alot of thought into this good luck
    Philos> I both hate you and like you more than anyone in this game randedl
    Philos> there is something about you
    Philos> You're like the wife i'd love to fuck, but beat every night after work

PhaTz> we should all wear t-shirts that says "I WAS THERE WHEN RANDEDL LOST TWLD" and on the back, "TWICE"

Comment

Wow, someone with a cool idea who has actually put effort into making it. I can't wait to try it out. There should also be a special event where the dragon has a cave on the other side of the map, and he has to go to the castle and steal the 'maiden' (a moveable flag). His monsters have to help him get the maiden safely back to his cave, and keep her there for a certain amount of time. Heeheehee.

All this stuff just makes me miss Medeival Madness and Camelot even more.
      'vet' is the new 'newb'.
      sit ez vet, sit.

Comment

Oooo good ideas I want to be the dragon wiv unlimited thors? Bwahhahahaha just stay out of the castle and knock ever1 out

Comment

Thanks , I wasn't sure how the idea would go over. All of you are really encouraging me to work on this idea quickly to the end rather than delaying because of all the work while thinking, "Can I get it accepted anywhere major? Will there be more than 3 people in the zone after all this?"

I'm going to finish the grass background graphics because you can't see the ninja or shade very well on a black background. Then I'll send it all to 2dragons.

By the way, does anyone know whether or not the .bmp/.bm2's are compressed before download? If they are it makes the download about 20 times faster, otherwise I may have to fix some file size problems or make the larger graphics available only online in .zip's.

Comment

Yes its a good idea but just ignore Annux' post, he'll find a way to put you down.

Comment

i like this idea. sounds like lotsa fun. i wanna be a mage and cast spells at everyone. that or slime. *ooze*
              To all the virgins, Thanks for nothing
              brookus> my grandmother died when she heard people were using numbers in their names in online games.. it was too much for her little heart

Comment

Re: castle zone

Originally posted by ericgrau
                rocket (name?) moves the caster about 25 tiles within half a second.
                a fanceyer name for those flying bout thingys that greek god messanger (dunno his name) uses.
                or just steal a name of one of the items in Warcraft 3 that makes a hero go faster.
                Aliases: Tomer, Golan, Tg

Comment

a fanceyer name for those flying bout thingys that greek god messanger (dunno his name) uses.
                  hermes?
                  Philos> I both hate you and like you more than anyone in this game randedl
                  Philos> there is something about you
                  Philos> You're like the wife i'd love to fuck, but beat every night after work

PhaTz> we should all wear t-shirts that says "I WAS THERE WHEN RANDEDL LOST TWLD" and on the back, "TWICE"

Comment

Originally posted by Disliked
                    Yes its a good idea but just ignore Annux' post, he'll find a way to put you down.

Yes.

Comment

PicHosting

Comment

I copied and pasted some of the graphics to make a fake screenshot. It shows off some of the better parts of the graphics that I've put together. You can take a look at it to see what the zone would look like.

It's at www.geocities.com/ericjgrau/fakescreenshot.html

Shown is a warrior attacking a dragon and a wizard facing a group of slimes at the entrance to the castle (i.e., the trench). There is also a ninja (in the wall's shadow) and an Ogre(inside of the left wall), but they're hard to see.
                        Last edited by ericgrau; 08-13-2002, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Nice dragon, it reminds me of a baloon animal.

A while ago I was helping test out a zone wiv grahpics like that, there was 2 of us in but still laggy as hell, hosted on cable tho

Comment

Thanks. Connection lag depends on the number of ships, bullets, bombs, etc.; graphics depend on your computer. I've tried out the map on my slow graphics card; the only problem might be the background, but that works fine in Xtreme games' hotwheels.

I didn't start rendering the background until this morning but my computer's still rendering it. It should be done later this evening and then I can send everything to 2dragons.
                            Last edited by ericgrau; 08-13-2002, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Nice idea, big project, but sounds like you've gotten a good start.

Pm me when online or leave a message so I know your subspace name. I'd like to talk to you 'in person' so I can possibly help you set it up.

You keep refering to it as a new zone, but I'm taking it you mean a new arena within TW? If so great. =)
                              TWLB Champion Season 1 (Light)
                              TWLD Champion Season 6/7 (Elusive/Syndicate)
                              TWLJ Champion Season 7 (Syndicate)

1 of the first 2 to get all 3. (Fireballz is other)

Comment

Working...
                              X