Handling new squads and dissolves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling new squads and dissolves.

Just want to say that I don't think it's fair for new squads to get the scores from the squad they're replacing. I think it would be better to do as in the previous season of TWL - where new squads started from scratch, i.e. X-Wing ended the season with 3-4 games less played than the other squads.

Why do you ask? Well, I see that both Drastic and Doom made the TWL-D playoffs, and I think it's unfair that two squads who haven't been around the entire season can come and snatch the spots from squads who has been fighting all their games. Of course this might be a bit biased, since my own squad, Disoblige didn't make it, but then again, even if these two squads hadn't made it, Disoblige still wouldn't have a good enough score.
    "Disoblige - It's not just a squad, it's a lifestyle" - BermuDa

Jonas

All the games of a squad that has dropped out should be converted to losses and the replacement team should just be playing for fun and/or a spot for next season.
    I have stopped swimming in the rock pools a few days ago. Now instead of 40 minutes swimming, I substitute it with 40 minutes power walk - usually on the beaches or around the cliffs. Nothing beats burning the fat in the cold wind. Colon minus pee.

Comment

Originally posted by Latrine
      All the games of a squad that has dropped out should be converted to losses and the replacement team should just be playing for fun and/or a spot for next season.
      Thats what I think. if they weren't good enoguh to get in when TWL started, tough luck.

EDIT: Of course that means the right squads need to be picked for each season, which is doubtful of happening
      The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
      All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

I've been saying this since before the season started, but everyone ignored me. Actually a few even attacked me saying stuff like "whiterabbits deserves a chance" and thus I was wrong.

I believe the fairest way is for new squads to start with losses for every game that they did not play. If they can still make the playoffs, I guess more power to them. If they can't too bad.

Actually I don't think squads that come in after the deadline should be allowed in the playoffs at all. Why? Say a really crappy 0-3 team leaves TWL. Then a good 6-0 squad gets in. That team ends with 6-3 and makes the playoffs. Well what if some other team ended with a 5-4 record that played the new team thus missing the playoffs while ANOTHER team ended with a 6-3 record because of the free wins from the crappy dropped out squad? Then is that a clear indication of who deserves the playoff spot more?

To remove ambiguity in the future, all replacement squads should NOT have the ability to enter playoffs.

-Epi
        Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
        www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
        www.animeslice.com

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine
          To remove ambiguity in the future, all replacement squads should NOT have the ability to enter playoffs.

-Epi
          'vet' is the new 'newb'.
          sit ez vet, sit.

Comment

Biased Post, coming up.

Actually I don't think squads that come in after the deadline should be allowed in the playoffs at all. Why? Say a really crappy 0-3 team leaves TWL. Then a good 6-0 squad gets in. That team ends with 6-3 and makes the playoffs. Well what if some other team ended with a 5-4 record that played the new team thus missing the playoffs while ANOTHER team ended with a 6-3 record because of the free wins from the crappy dropped out squad?
            If this is the case, banning the newcomers makes 0 sense. They've clearly earned their spot. What DOES make sense, is to ignore every game they played, as if they weren't in leagues at all. That way no one is punished for whether they played the starter or replacement.
            (current) TWLB scores would be as follows
            Light: 6-0
            Diso: 5-1, A-S: 5-1
            Pallies: 5-2
            NS: 3-3,
            Shriek: 3-4
            Cripples: 1-5, Vortex: 1-5
            Paladen: 1-7
            Last edited by Verthanthi; 08-16-2002, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Good to see so many agreeing with me, I hope this will be handled in a better manner next season.
              "Disoblige - It's not just a squad, it's a lifestyle" - BermuDa

Jonas

Comment

Agreed

Ri
                (Squitch)> Is Ri a bot???

Comment

Wholehearted disagree, and again very biased, but in our case we DID start with nothing but losses, not because the league said so but because Seige sucked. And then we've clawed our way to the 5th spot in leagues, and if 8 teams were selected for playoffs and we were to be excluded, well something about that wouldn't seem right to me.

Give them nothing but losses, start them from nothing, but don't say "sure, come play in our league, but no matter how good you do you're not going to be allowed in the playoffs."

I for one feel quite strongly that we've more than earned our spot in the league standings, and if we're ranking in the range of squads that's chosen for the cup then I think we deserve it.

I also strongly reccomend 8 teams be chosen for the cup, not 4. Either way we're still making a run at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine
                    Actually I don't think squads that come in after the deadline should be allowed in the playoffs at all. Why? Say a really crappy 0-3 team leaves TWL. Then a good 6-0 squad gets in. That team ends with 6-3 and makes the playoffs. Well what if some other team ended with a 5-4 record that played the new team thus missing the playoffs while ANOTHER team ended with a 6-3 record because of the free wins from the crappy dropped out squad? Then is that a clear indication of who deserves the playoff spot more?

-Epi
                    I might be confused, but how is the 6-3 squad getting any free wins when they enter with a 0-3 record and win 6 games? They beat 6 teams, the other team only beat 5, haven't they earned their spot?

Or are you referring to a different situation than I assumed, because the terminology does seem a little strange for what I'm interpreting.

Comment

Sorry you guys didn't understand my post so I will try to write more clear.

1) The current league system is "everyone plays everyone else in their conference" (or in TWLB, they literally play everyone else).

2) When you have a system like that, as long as no one drops out, by the end you are 100% sure what teams are the best.

3) Let's say someone drops out after going 3-1 to start a season...

Okay let's call the dropout team "Team X". Now Team X had issues. They won their first 3 games, but then everything fell apart. Everyone quit the squad and they lose round 4 in a really pointless match as no one showed up. And so that game that they played (and lost) were basically a free win. Let's say "Team A" played Team X in round 4 and got that free win (i.e. a 5on4 game, or no starters).

Now there's a new squad that replaced Team X. Let's call them "Team Y". For the remaining 5 rounds Team Y provides some actual competition, and manages to win 4 of their games. On the way Team Y beats by a team named "Team B".

Okay so at the end of the season, let's say Team A finishes with a 7-2 record and makes the playoffs. Team Y also finished 7-2. BUT Team B finished 6-3, and doesn't make the playoffs.

How is this fair for Team B at all? Team A got the FREE WIN from a dying squad squad. Team B had to fight Team Y which didn't exist for Team A to fight. On top of that, Team Y inherits three free wins that they never earned at all!

Team B basically got screwed because Team A got a free win, and Team Y got THREE free wins. Now Team B who might of actually made the playoffs had Team A and Team Y screw them over by stupid rules.

Is this fair for Team B? For the record, let's call Team B Disoblige.

Why should squads that were around the entire season be punished by new squads that didn't earn their place?

If you look closely at my hypothetical situation you will see that I take care of the two major things wrong with the substitute team. First of all, they got free wins (bad!). Second of all, it SCREWED UP the league standings because Team A and Team B played DIFFERENT TEAMS which fundamentally changes the entire "play everyone else once" idea.

Unless you want to repeat all the season's games that the substitute team missed (which is completely impractical), the only true solution is to make it so that the substitute team can never get into the playoffs.

Yes it does still screw the other teams who are playing you considering others might of gotten free wins, BUT at least now you can't take their hard-earned playoff spot which they played an entire season for.

And what does the replacement team get? They get to have fun and learn and grow as a squad. And next season as a full squad in the league, they can show everyone else what they're made of.

Don't let any replacement teams play in the playoffs. It is fundamentally not right.

-Epi
                      Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                      www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                      www.animeslice.com

Comment

If a squad drops out the replacing squad should starts with nothing, they don't deserve the other team's wins nor their losses, simply because they have nothing to do with that squad.

Of course a replacingsquad can get into the playoffs, but since they start at 0 points (no wins no losses) how further we get in the season how harder it will be for a new squad to get into it, which is more fair for the other squads.

I really don't get how anyone can make up the rule we currently have, the replacing squad gets the other squads wins and losses. That just makes zero sense and is unfair for the other squads competing, (if u don't get why check epi's post).

This rule shouldn't be in questioning.

What maybe should be in question is that "is it fair to replace squads that drop out by different (better / worse) squads? (epi pointed this out well). Replacing squads that drop out completly ruins the play-every-squad-system of this league. But maybe that's a little egoistical, since there are so many squads that wanna join already. It's just idioticly how many squads dropped out this season.

-bram
                        Last edited by Dabram; 08-16-2002, 10:04 PM.

Comment

theres some pretty well thought out posts on this subject. but i'm going with dabram.

Comment

Goliath, You sure seem smart.

Not.
                            Originally Posted by HeavenSent
                            You won't have to wait another 4 years.
                            There wont be another election for president.
                            Obama is the Omega President.
                            http://wegotstoned.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Goliath
                              because "some co-ordinator" picked his friends and staff squads at the start of the season instead of having a tournament to decide who should be there!
                              'vet' is the new 'newb'.
                              sit ez vet, sit.

Comment

Working...
                              X