Help me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me

After i create an image in bitmap why cant i save it in .gif format or .jpg without it discolouring?
    COYO

Because colours are more limited.
    A .gif file is limited to 256 colours (8-bit) and jpeg file to 16 million (24 bit).
    A bitmap can contain more colours so saving a bitmap as a .gif or .jpeg format can screw it up if it contains, say 32 bit colours.

(On second thought, I don't know for sure if a bitamp can contain more than 24 bit colouring, but I believe so)
    Last edited by Fallen Angel; 08-16-2002, 03:32 PM.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Yea...what he said. I would of told you but he got here before me...*grumble grumble*
      Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
      1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
      1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
      1:Chao <ER>> at all
      1:Mantra-Slider> chao
      1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
      Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
      Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

i dont think the discoloration has to do with the number of colors that gifs and jpegs can have... i think its cause:

gifs and jpegs are compressed images, however the compression is "lossy" meaning that it loses some of the data (usually colors) so it can make it smaller. bmps on the other hand record each pixel as it is and thats why bmps can get pretty big. paint is retarded and i think the algorithm that it uses to convert bmps to gifs or jpegs alters the colors somehow.

Anyways if youre going to use paint to make gifs and jpegs just open an existing gif or jpeg that you got from another source and alter it from there. That should prevent any discoloration.

Comment

Who ever said anything about using paint
          There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

haha i just assumed cause i know paint does that :P

Comment

Working...
            X