This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMs and Harassment during League Games

In other Subspace Leagues there are rules or at least a tradition against spectators harassing players. Basically if you are playing, you have a right to play without having random people message you with annoying spam or other things. This includes private messages and team messages (messages to your entire frequency).

There are no rules or tradition like this in Trench Wars. Basically if I really wanted, I could go in a game, and just pm everyone in the game non-stop and piss the hell out of them until they ignore me. And I could get away with this with no problems.

A quick poll from the staff showed that most don't care about this. They argue that you can just ignore them. But with the variation in names that people can have in TW, and the fact that there are instances when MULTIPLE people might be messaging you, why should YOU the player have to bother ignoring everyone? Typing everyone's name correctly to ignore them takes a lot of your time, and might result in a bunch of tks for you.

I believe that if a player in the game has reasonable cause to tell the host of the game to shut up a particular person for harassment, the host should do something. Warn that person first, and then shut them up.

Players in the game should not have to deal with this and should be allowed to focus on the game at hand.

-Epi
    Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
    www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
    www.animeslice.com

Just select the spectator with Page Down or Page Up and type : ?ignore
    You can type ?nopubchat and ?lines=0 too..

Personally.. im never harassing by others players... why ? guess
    Last edited by Arobas+; 08-22-2002, 01:45 AM.
    TW Bot Developer
    TW Web Developer
    Friends> All I saw was arobas+
    Friends> It's like death

Comment

Originally posted by Arobas+
      Just select the spectator with Page Down or Page Up and type : ?ignore
      You can type ?nopubchat and ?lines=0 too..

Personally.. im never harassing by others players... why ? guess
      So when you have 10 people spamming you, you're supposed to go down the list of 100 people, ignoring them? You don't have time for that in the middle of a match.

?nopubchat doesn't help because games are already blue'd
      and ?lines=0 isn't good because then you can't hear your teammates cries for help.
      "Disoblige - It's not just a squad, it's a lifestyle" - BermuDa

Jonas

Comment

Staff DO have the power to lock Private messages also..I feel if it is requested it should be honured. *lockprivatechat works for the problem faced here.
        [I]It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.[I]

Comment

I've never had this problem, except for right before a match, and even then it is people wishing me good luck.

Comment

Jonas its just a little solution... like i said im not harassing by players when im playing so i have no problem with that.. just be "kewl" with the others and the others will be "kewl" with you.

Well btw it can be a good idea to lock the pm during a game.

Lil go there --> In reference with your banner
            Last edited by Arobas+; 08-22-2002, 10:05 AM.
            TW Bot Developer
            TW Web Developer
            Friends> It's like death

Comment

I have this problem every match, epi I know what you are saying. Especially our match vs disoblige, I actually had to esc f6 the whole game--not knowing what my team was saying because of spammers.

Comment

Dont ask why Mitch..
                French expression : Tu collecte ce que tu sème...
                TW Bot Developer
                TW Web Developer
                Friends> It's like death

Comment

American Expression:
                  Fuck you

Comment

Dutch expression:
                    Wat je zaait zal je oogsten

Comment

Amish expression:

I don't wear zippers on my clothes, but I sure can raise a barn.
                      http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Back to the topic at hand...

This has nothing to do with people who might "deserve" to be harassed. It has everything to do with asshole spectators who harass to change the outcome of the game. We shouldn't have to stand for that in a game situation from someone who is not playing.

-Epi
                        Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                        www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                        www.animeslice.com

Comment

Re: PMs and Harassment during League Games

Originally posted by Epinephrine
                          Warn that person first, and then shut them up.
                          -Epi
                          So basically the player being harassed would have to message the host so the spammer could be warned, and then message the host again to get him shut up.

That's twice he has to message the bot...

as opposed to ?nopubchat or ?ignore <name>

i don't see how your proposed method saves anyone any time or effort..

typing *noprivatechat is stupid, what if you actually wanted to PM someone, someone speccing you is giving you some advice or something

i personally dont have such a huge problem with people harassing me at all... in fact i've never had it happen

if it bothers YOU particularly so much and typing out someone's name is incredibly difficult, then just use the tickname method, i really don't see an instance where you'd be spammed by more than one person, let alone a few.. it's really not that hard to type in a game, and finding a name to tick isn't that hard either..
                          Last edited by eRad; 08-23-2002, 11:19 AM.
                          i'm bored

Comment

You could make that even quicker by setting ?ignore as a amcro and all u rly have to do is scroll then set macro, i bet it wouldnt take more than 5 secs

Comment

Originally posted by Verthanthi
                              I've never had this problem, except for right before a match, and even then it is people wishing me good luck.
                              Thats because everyone loves WR.

Originally posted by bloodzombi
                              Amish expression:

I don't wear zippers on my clothes, but I sure can raise a barn.
                              BAHAHAHHAHAAHA
                              Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

Working...
                              X