Heh Subspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heh Subspace

I was looking through old crap in a box labeled "Old Crap" and I found my old subspace cd case, the booklet, and the guide. Interesting stuff to say the least. Here are some quotes from it..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minimum Requirements:

66 MHz 486 DX2 or better IBM-compatible PC with Windows 95/NT 4.0 installed, Microsoft's DirextX version 3.0 drivers (or higher), 8 MB RAM, and 32-bit 14.4 kbaud connection to the Internet.

Recomended System Requirements:

90 MHz Pentium or better IBM-compatible PC with Windows 95/NT 4.0 installed, 16 MB RAM, 2 MB PCI (or VLB) video card, 33.6 kbaud modem, Windows 95 compatible Sound Card.

--

Ship Descruptions: At the time of the printing of this manual, there are seven ships available in SubSpace, each with its own strenghts and weaknesses. Read the following descriptions and choose your ship wisely:

Warbird

"Once at the enemy, you should not aspire just to strike him, but to cling after the attack." -Myamoto Mushashi

"You can have computer sights or anything you like, but I think you have to go to the enemy on the shortest distance and knock him down from point blank range. You'll get from close. At long distances, it's questionable" - Colonel Eric "Bubi" Hartmann, GAF

Most maneuvarable ship in the game.

The Warbird is the ideal craft for the beginner. Easy to learn and packing a good punch, an expert Warbird pilot can run rings around less maneuverable opponents.

Javelin

"Speed is life" - Israeli defense manual.

"Defense against Japanese fighters is resolved around the superior speed of our fighters..." - Major Dick Bong USAAF

Fastest ship in the game.

The Javelin is a fast, well-powered craft that is hard to handle due to its relatively weak acceleration. Speed is what the Javelin is all about. Not only does its speed allow it to reach powerups before other ships but it gives a decisive edge in combat if used correctly.

Spider

"Concealment and swiftness are the two principle elemnts of closing" - Colonel V Dubrov, Soviet Airforce

"It is always the one you don't see that gets you" - Major Thomas B McGuire

Only ship with cloaking ability.

The Spider is of average speed, average handling and weakly armed. Its one great advantage is that of cloaking. The cloak device, when turned on, makes the Spider invisible to the naked eye, giving it a huge advantage in terms of intelligence.

Leviathan

"With an inferior weapon system you cannot fight a superior one. You can have a surprise success byt not success for a long time." - LT General Adolph Galland, Luftwaffe.

The only ship able to carry level 3 bombs.

The Leviathan is the only craft to start with bombs and it has the energy capacity to use them. One Level 3 bomb can destroy most starting ships and two can kill any ship in the game. The Leviathan's whole strategy is centered around bringing this weapon to bear.

Terrier

"Two is better than one" - Anon

"In the end, it's all about firepower" - German Defense Manual

Twin "Hound" Ion guns.

The Terrier is another great begginners ship. Its Twin guns allow it to spray an enemy with bullets and keep him on the defensive. The Terrier is also that rarest of ships, one that starts out strong. This means the terrier pilot is less likely to be "negged" than other types of ships.

Weasel

"All future wars will be fought by computer" - From the Internet.

"A panicked enemy is a dead enemy" - Mongol war dictum.

Experimental Electronic countermeasures craft.

The Weasel is a superb ECM craft. Not only does it see minefields on radar (displayed as white dots) but it also fires special EMP bombs that cause damage upon impact and stop the enmy from recharging. The weasel is very much a thinking pilot's craft. Craft pilots use this ship to incredible effect.

Lancaster

"The best way to fight someone is when they can't fight back" - Anon

"YES!!!! Trick shot, played for and got!" - Dave Lister aka Red Dwarf

Special bomber.

The Lancaster has one remarkable feature. Its plasma bombs are timed and thus able to bounce off obstacles allowing the pilot to attack targets not normally available. Lancasters are very useful in closed areas and invaluable in WARZONE games.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of that stuff refers to SVS settings since super zones like TW weren't around in the time of the original CD.

Thanks to the strategy guide, I finally learned that Esc + Q doesn't give you any power ups.

Cool
    So you actually bought Subspace way back then?
    Wow...
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Bought it and got banned from it :/

Comment

Yes

Comment

$19.99 at EB

Comment

Re: Heh Subspace

Originally posted by Annux

Major Dick Bong USAAF

that guy has a silly name

Comment

you took better care of your stuff then I did.. mine is all trashed

-Spam
              Who got the boombeef?

Comment

i have the same thing, but my box is torn into 2 pieces, more or less, and the black cover that went over the white box under it, has a big dent
                I dont play this game anymore.

Comment

I still have mine, though it's not all together. And when my friend moved he gave me his, which is all in the box here somewhere. And I have one still sealed in the closet somewhere. My room is like crap at the moment...
                  -Dantax
                  The Internet connects us all,
                  The short, the fat, the thin, the tall,
                  we buy, we sell, we learn, we grow,
                  dial-up, fizz-fuzz, connect, let's go!

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy Weasel
                    $19.99 at EB
                    I don't know what brach of EB carries games that old.

Comment

I meant when it originally came out. It was only $19.99. At least for me it was.

Comment

do u guyz still have the fancy keyboard overlay that came with the game? It was this piece of carboard with all the controls on it. I lost mine :/

Also, I paid arround 25 us $, ordering it online. Got the exact same box and booklets as Annux. Also in more fucked up shape though.
                        http://disoblige.be-damned.com/OLD%20WEBSITE/

Comment

That's nuts Annux. I never bought the cd, but I'm thinkin about doing it for the sassy keyboard overlay. How much crap do you keep catalogued away?
                          Mr 12 inch wonder

Comment

Only old crap.

Comment

I never bought the original cause by the time I found it on sale, I already had the crack But I managed to buy it on eBay a few years later for the nostaligia factor... I have a completely different box design and no keyboard overlay though.. it's weird

-Epi
                              Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                              www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                              www.animeslice.com

Comment

Working...
                              X