arenamessaging hockey is a joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arenamessaging hockey is a joke

SHORT VERSION: WHY DO YOU ZONEMESSAGE HOCKEY AND I DON'T GET TO PLAY? THAT MAKES BABY JESUS CRY!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    LONG VERSION:

Look,

Every time I see a zonemsg for hockey nowadays, I hit esc-A, page down to HOCKEY, and hit return.

Yeah, buddy. . . gonna play some hockey

But NOOOOOOOOOO. Because our host -- I hate to pick on people by name, so I won't -- picks captains from some source, perhaps his buddy list (this would be a SUBJECTIVE [http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=subjective] criterion), although the players do get to choose which two persons from the group our host has picked will be a captain. It's like old-school Soviet-style elections.

Then they (the ostensibly [http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=ostensibly] "elected" captains) pick people from THEIR buddy list.

This goes on until you have either four or five on each team. Then the other two, or four, players are picked at random.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's how that goes. By itself, it's all fine and good. My problem with this is, I see a fucking zonemessage saying ?go hockey. This zonemessage implies that, if I type ?go hockey, I will in fact have some reasonable, rational chance to be enjoying a game of hockey in the near future. But NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

That's not how it goes.

So, moving right along to my point with no further delay, I am posting this message to question the logic in sending an zonemessage that tells players to go play hockey, when in fact your average subspace player's chances of ACTUALLY GETTING TO PLAY is negligible.

Let me repeat that. I am posting this message to question the logic in sending an zonemessage that tells players to go play hockey, when in fact your average subspace player's chances of ACTUALLY GETTING TO PLAY is negligible. (http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=negligible)

You might say, "that's not even a big deal, CK." I'd agree with you, to an extent. The event / instance / occurrence I'm specifically referring to is not a big deal. Principles, however, ARE invariably a big deal, and it's the principle of the thing. If you zonemessage for hockey, and it's FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED, well, hey -- that'd be an objective criterion; I can't argue with that. Objectivity (look it up if you don't understand the concept, I'm tiring of posting links to the online dictionary) is, I think most would say, fair. Subjective criteria, however, have no place in the basic administration of a (relatively) public game. (If you would dispute that statement, I'd be glad to post an extensive, painful, overly-detailed explanation upon request, although I guess you could make a case for necessity, as a justification . . hmm lemme think on that.)

I wouldn't even bother to bitch about this (although I got halfway through a post about this same issue on a different occasion, but got bored, not to mention realizing that nobody would care, and it wouldn't change anything), except that it's so inane (http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=inane). If you want to play a game of hockey with a bunch of people you know, hey, great. Do that. I have heard rumors that, upon occasion, private basing games are hosted. People (I've heard) show up and can't get in because there are too many people. Fair enough. It's called private basing for a reason, thus there is no reasonable expectation -- everyone knows they might not get a spot.

But if you're zonemessaging the event, people have a reasonable expectation of actually being able to play the event in question. Sure, a host has no personal obligation, and indeed may have no obligation at all to satisfy this reasonable expectation. I contend, however, that it is (a) better for the game, long-term; (b) better for the subspace community at large (although those first two may necessarily have some overlap); and (c) quite simply, CORRECT from a moral standpoint, if the players (you average, everyday supporters of the game) who respond to zonemessages about events get a chance to play in those events.

Cordially,

tCK

PS Check out the RIAA's website if you are looking for information on giant monkeys. Or www.asstr.org for some interesting reading. Good day now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a completely unrelated aside, remember that in the US Federal court system relevancy of evidence depends, first off, on substantive legal issues. Further, the test is whether an item of evidence makes a conclusion more probable. Although the next question is whether that item of evidence's probative value outweighs its possible prejudicial or confusing effect on the jury hearing the case. See Rule 403. Yeah, useful, I know.
    1:Pearl Jam> the gloves are for the prostitutes i'm going to hire
    1:Pearl Jam> i'm going to make one of them shovel human feces into a wheelbarrow and run around with it
    THE CRIMSO> that's more illuminative than jack's comment, but still pretty enigmatic
    1:Pearl Jam> she'll have to wear a shirt that says "THE POOPSMITH" on it

i never get picked to play hockey either... i feel like the fat kid in gym class

Comment

Yes.
      Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

For starters, all hockey ads contain the words '?go hockey to POSSIBLY play (or should)...

don't expect to play considering it's only a 6v6 game

second of all, the reason the captains/players are chosen is to at least try to ensure a high quality game

i used to play hosted hockey in TW with random players being selected.... the game becomes pathetic

no one responds to the rules, as most TW players have no idea how to play hockey properly....they don't line up, they don't give the puck to the host, they CR, DC, and generally create a chaotic, newbie, and waste of time game

choosing good players is the only way to ensure a game that will actually have some sort of order/skill/purpose to it

hockey in trench wars has never been known to be of great quality, especially since it is plagued with the laggy server of TW

that is why you see so many TWers heading off to HZ to get a decent game

choosing good captains who know hockey and know hockey players is important.. and it's the only way TW Hockey will ever progress...

you may say well if we keep picking the good ones how can the new ones get any practice.. yes i understand that but really hockey isn't hosted enough for a player to develop skills simply through hosted hockey games anyway..

IF you are SO intent on playing hockey, then by all means go to HOCKEY ZONE! it is a great zone, i play it often, it has very little lag (connecting to north america as opposed to europe) and you will always be guaranteed a game... AT LEAST as good if not better than any hosted hockey in trench wars

your complaint is against a measure that is trying to change that.. and hopefully improve the quality of tw hockey... the measure is more than justified...
        Last edited by eRad; 08-29-2002, 11:43 PM.
        i'm bored

Comment

Same thing happens when proball is hosted though, and anyone can understand the conept of that one.

Comment

One more patronizing Dictionary.com link from you and I'm going to start flaming you no matter how much I agree with you and how articulate you are.

For the children.
            Originally posted by Ward
            OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Erad,

The captains that "ensure the high quality game" are normally (at least when I'm there) only buddies of the host. They don't represent anything in the way of "skill" at all. Many don't even know basic rules about creasing, etc. That idea is about as gay as any of Vyk's new names.

CK,
              If you want to play, go to the actual Hockey Zone instead of this poser shit.
              Reclusion
              "That's what's so illogical about being a smurf. I mean, what's the point in living if you don't have a dick?"

Comment

Originally posted by Reclusion
                Erad,

The captains that "ensure the high quality game" are normally (at least when I'm there) only buddies of the host. They don't represent anything in the way of "skill" at all. Many don't even know basic rules about creasing, etc. That idea is about as gay as any of Vyk's new names.

I only saw that happen when Kingz and Kinky hosted....kingz is normally a good host but when i played their game they picked a dumbass who picked more dumbasses...when Echo hosted he picked good captains who picked good players and we had a good game

CK,
                If you want to play, go to the actual Hockey Zone instead of this poser shit.

oi i said that
                reclusion looks fat in a shark o_O
                i'm bored

Comment

I ALWAYS GET PICKED BY THAT ONE GUY< I THINK HIS NAME IS "RANDOM" OR SOMETHING
                  Originally posted by Yoshiba
                  i lag when i smoke weed

Comment

Just stfu and go play hz.
                    Originally posted by Diakka
                    Lets stop being lil bitches

Comment

Because its a 6 vs 6 game and trench wars has many players. You have always that problem. Also in Tournament people sometimes don't get to play.
                      Its a pity, but thats just the way its is. Maybe the hosts of the hockey Arena can say in the zone ads that there are 12 spots, or in the arena give a sorry for the people that dont play, and that maybe a good alternative is ?go twht

Its not the best thing, but its the only way unfortanelly

Greetings,
                      Greets,
                      Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Reclusion
                        That idea is about as gay as any of Vyk's new names.
                        I can't believe you don't like Enron.
                        Originally posted by Ward
                        OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

He was reffering to Flutter

Comment

hmmmm

Unfortunately, this doesn't really address the largest problem of SS hockey. That being the fact it's incredibly boring to play.

Comment

again, I'm sorry i'm not going to read this whole post but

?go hockey2 ?go hockey3 ?go hockey4 makes a lot of sense to me- same goes for ?go basing which is always 4 on 6 or 23 on 23- fix it.
                              Pallies Support Group "We all feel lonely sometimes"

Pallies Basing Store (not just subspace merchandise)

okie dokey baby?

Comment

Working...
                              X