This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWDT 2016 FALL Announcement!

This is likely the final year of competitive play, so let's go out with a bang with one last season of TWDT!

Signups:

1) Forums, replying to the Signup Sheet here.
    2) In-game, leaving Ogron with a ?message
    3) In-game, messaging !signup to the bot (preferred method)

Dates

TWDT 2016
    (Fall) is headed your way, with a tentative draft date of Sunday, September 25th, 2016. Week 1 would start October 2nd, with the Finals taking place on November 20th, one week ahead of American Thanksgiving, and shortly before exams.

Schedule (6 Teams)

September 25 -- Draft
    October 2 -- Week 1
    October 9 -- Week 2 (Canadian Thanksgiving -- no cancel)
    October 16 -- Week 3/4 (Free Agency Draft)
    TRADE WEEK (October 16-24)
    October 23 -- Week 5/6
    October 30 -- Week 7/8
    November 6 -- Week 9/10
    November 13 -- Semi-Finals
    November 20 -- Finals

This scheduling is important to avoid a deadly lull in the form of American Thanksgiving on November 27th, where everyone takes the day off to celebrate the resurrection of Cres. If we play TWDT with 6 teams instead of 8, the schedule remains identical -- there simply will be no double games the final two weeks.

It is important to finish the season before the 27th, because a canceled week during playoffs destroys showrates, and holding the playoffs after Thanksgiving pushes the Semis and Finals into exam weeks for a lot of players.

We'll be using the same time slots from the previous two years:

TWDT-D -- 3PM EST
    TWDT-J -- 4PM EST
    TWDT-B -- 5PM EST

For Double Games weeks, we'll be using this schedule:

TWDT-D -- 3:00PM EST
    TWDT-D -- 3:30PM EST
    TWDT-J -- 4:00PM EST
    TWDT-J -- 4:30PM EST
    TWDT-B -- 5:00PM EST

TWDT-B -- 5:30PM EST

Format

Eight teams will compete for six playoff spots, with the top two squads receiving byes to the Semi-Finals. You either make all three leagues or none during the regular season, however once the playoffs start you advance individually through all three leagues. We'll be using a reseed format again to determine the Semi-Final matchups.

If playing with six teams, four make the playoffs, with a Semi-Finals (1v4, 2v3) and Finals. Borrowing of 6-6-6 or lower players is allowed during the playoffs. Remember that 6-6-7s and higher cannot be borrowed, even if they're a 6 in the league you want to use them in. Only true low-stars qualify for borrowing.

Each team is required to play a 7-Star or lower, and a 6-Star or lower, player in each game (2 slots) in TWDT-D and TWDT-J.

For TWDT-B, we will be increasing the amount of low-star players in each game (3 slots), require two 7-Star or lower, and a 6-star or lower, in each game.

We'll be using a best of three format for all leagues in the playoffs.

Captains

This is perhaps the final season of TWDT, so I would like to see all the former champion and veteran players step up and make the effort to cap a team.

Specifically, I'd like to see former champs Commodo, Zidane, Stayon, Dreamwin, Ease, Hulk, Tiny, among other good captains from years past.

We were easily able to field 8 teams in the TWDT 2016 (Winter) campaign, so we'll see how signups go. If they are poor, we will reduce the amount of teams to 6, with 4 making the playoffs.

Alternate portraits for captains to choose from:

Major Changes

--Increasing the amount of low-star players in TWDT-B to 3 (7/7/6)

--Trade Week, which now takes place between Week 3 and Week 4, is now the only time trades will be accepted, meaning you'll only have played 3 weeks before it closes. This prevents captain's from dumping all their players in one league after accruing enough wins to make playoffs and stacking the other two.

--Trade Calculator, which will for the first time remove the human element from trade decisions. You can check out the beta here, and test out trades that will and will not be accepted. The parameters will be set before the draft and remain unchanged (except the Last Seen and Games Played columns, which are updated when a trade happens and affects the evaluation.)

--In addition to the eight low-star packages each captain drafts, I will be making eight basing packages (with 3 players in each) to reduce the sunken cost of competing in all 3-leagues. Each win in warbird, javelin, or base is worth the same, yet the investment in base is double for the same returns. Reducing this burden will better help captains trying to actually win all 3 leagues. A captain can now field a competitive team with only three picks (baser, baser, basing package), same as TWDT-D and TWDT-J.

--Trade Limits, each team will now be allowed a maximum of four trades (a trade is defined by a single transaction of any number of players between two teams, and counts as a 'trade' for each captain.)
    Last edited by ogron; 09-23-2016, 01:23 AM.
    top 100 basers list

Could we add something in about people refusing to play for certain captains and captains refusing to play others without reason, such as suspensions etc etc? Just an idea
    1:waven> u challenge
    1:waven> if i challenge it looks too scary

Originally posted by MHz
    Hope you contract ebola from your, no doubt cheap, Easter Egg, you fucking shit-jav, pug-faced cunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny View Post
      Could we add something in about people refusing to play for certain captains and captains refusing to play others without reason, such as suspensions etc etc? Just an idea

We could, make a rule/proposal and I'll work on it!

I mean at the same time captains need to be smart and try to not draft people who hate them or that they hate. I've drafted less talented players on the board because I knew they would show for me -- there's a lot of sourpusses out there.

As for intentionally benching out of spite when a player should be starting, that is unacceptable IMO. In TWL, that's one thing, the player has chosen to be on that squad and accepted the leadership. TWDT Captains are more in the public trust, and have a certain level of responsibility to ensure their players are having the best experience possible. Moreover, the players have no control over where they play or who caps them, so captains should make every effort to make it work.

I understand Cres's position of just not trading a player and getting value back to not reward refusing to show by a player despite being online and able to. Maybe a swap-out rule might be appropriate. After the FA draft, if a player still isn't showing/playing out of spite, I'm sure there will be someone available who has come back to the game too late to join, and you could swap the spiteful player out of the league and swap in the willing one (would have to be equal talent or worse, and pass the Trade machine test/Ops approval.)

I'm not sure what the rule regarding caps should be. It should never be an issue. We had problems with you and Major Crisis last year, but I've never had (or wanted) to step in and do something about it in 3 years, and captain's have been very protective of their rights to do what they want with their team. We've never needed a rule for it before, and I would be surprised if we needed it now. I'm not sure I'm comfortable having a hard-written rule saying a captain can't so such-and-such, usually talking it over like adults has worked in getting players unbenched.
      top 100 basers list

Comment

Just thinking of the Major Crisis thing last year, Mean Gene's dilemma, Best refusing to sub in in finals while I lagged the whole time, Roiwerk refused to play for me. Sometimes its hard talking like adults when you are not dealing with adults.
        1:waven> u challenge
        1:waven> if i challenge it looks too scary

Originally posted by MHz
        Hope you contract ebola from your, no doubt cheap, Easter Egg, you fucking shit-jav, pug-faced cunt.

Comment

There are always going to be issues. When the zone had 450 signups for TWDT, there was lots of talent you could pick up on the waiver wire and ops could just ban the player refusing to play.

If we had 450 people signing up, I would be fine with that solution. It is both simple an elegant. We had 230 (275 with FA) signups earlier this year, and it will prob be closer to 200 this season. There just is no replacement for top-tier talent at this stage of the game. It's better to just try to work it out, and get a trade going.

I've never seen a season without it, and it will probably happen again this year. I don't have a good solution. If you can come up with one, I'm more than happy to listen.
          top 100 basers list

Comment

Right now, we're on pace for 6 teams with the current amount of signups. Unless a drastic increase in signups changes, we will be using the 6-team schedule, where teams play the other 5 opponents twice in each league over 7 weeks, with the Semi-Finals and Finals following it (4 teams make the playoffs, no quarter-finals.)

The first two weeks will not feature double games, but the next 5 weeks will.

Schedule (6 teams)

September 25 -- Draft
            October 2 -- Week 1
            October 16 -- Week 3/4 (Free Agency Draft)
            TRADE WEEK (October 16-23)
            October 23 -- Week 5/6
            October 30 -- Week 7/8
            November 6 -- Week 9/10
            November 20 -- Finals

Schedule (8 teams)

September 25 -- Draft
            October 2 -- Week 1
            October 16 -- Week 3 (Free Agency Draft)
            TRADE WEEK (October 16-23)
            October 23 -- Week 4/5
            October 30 -- Week 6/7
            November 6 -- Quarter-Finals
            November 20 -- Finals
            Last edited by ogron; 09-20-2016, 12:13 AM.
            top 100 basers list

Comment

Working...
            X