firewall yada yada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firewall yada yada

my on campus network seems to play SS just fine in a computer lab, ill get 30ms 0.0 0.1 . but on my computer i get 4500ms consistantly, no mater what time of day. im sure youv heard this all before but im still gona ask. the local tech department says they dont block any ports, but i cant seem to run any peer to peer stuff with any reasonable pings. socks5? anyone have any success with http tunnel or whatever? thanks to anyone who responds for giving a fuck.
    joe

I don undertand you're post thingie ..

Hi

Comment

If your connection is shared, the more users that are online, the more it slows down. This is the most likely cause to the problem.

Comment

when i use my browser, i usually get aleast 5kbs. SS gets about a ping of 5000 ANYTIME so i dont think traffic has that much to do with it.

Comment

Just some possibilites of things that might be (somewhat) responsible for your problem:

1. Spyware (try AdAware and Spybot S&D)

2. Viruses/Trojan Horses

3. Traffic from P2P clients...I have noticed Edonkey is especially problematic in this regard- even long after you have closed down the program, "requests" from other users who still have you in source lists will be pummeling your IP. Your IP address can remain in these lists for quite some time. The longer you have the program in operation, the longer and stronger the P2P hangover will be. If you have a dynamic IP address, you might be assigned an IP that was recently used on P2P networks and thus be bogged down by the other person's prior activity. Change your IP address again if possible.
          If you have an IP assigned based on the MAC address of the network device connected, the IP will (generally?) be flushed and reassigned after a period (it ranges, but is usually around 24-48 hours?) of disconnection from the network. You can use software such as A-Mac Address Change to spoof your MAC address and thus generate a different IP. Also, if you are using a router, many of them have MAC address spoofing capabilities built right in.

5. Do you have Windows XP with service pack 2 installed? I've heard quite a few complaints regarding network performance after the installation of SP2...

6. Depending on how the network is setup, you could be bogged down constantly by others' internet activity regardless of time of day. You might want to inquire about the network/connection structure- and if your connection is shared, probably also transfer quota management.
          Last edited by Ha! Sheesh.; 10-12-2004, 02:59 AM.

Greed, ignorance, and the communal superiority complex of the human race
          Clutching metal braces as we race to disgrace
          As the pollution wipes clear all expression, all face

Comment

Originally posted by Ha! Sheesh.
            Just some possibilites of things that might be (somewhat) responsible for your problem:

1. Spyware (try AdAware and Spybot S&D)

2. Viruses/Trojan Horses

Adware and McFee running, no sign of trouble, firewall extensions turned off

3. Traffic from P2P clients...I have noticed Edonkey is especially problematic in this regard- even long after you have closed down the program, "requests" from other users who still have you in source lists will be pummeling your IP. Your IP address can remain in these lists for quite some time. The longer you have the program in operation, the longer and stronger the P2P hangover will be. If you have a dynamic IP address, you might be assigned an IP that was recently used on P2P networks and thus be bogged down by the other person's prior activity. Change your IP address again if possible.
            If you have an IP assigned based on the MAC address of the network device connected, the IP will (generally?) be flushed and reassigned after a period (it ranges, but is usually around 24-48 hours?) of disconnection from the network. You can use software such as A-Mac Address Change to spoof your MAC address and thus generate a different IP. Also, if you are using a router, many of them have MAC address spoofing capabilities built right in.

im not exactly sure what your getting at there, but i can tell you im not running any P2P programs because they dont work at all.

5. Do you have Windows XP with service pack 2 installed? I've heard quite a few complaints regarding network performance after the installation of SP2...

Windows 2000, Athlon 2400 128 RAM 64 meg video card

6. Depending on how the network is setup, you could be bogged down constantly by others' internet activity regardless of time of day. You might want to inquire about the network/connection structure- and if your connection is shared, probably also transfer quota management.
            everyone keeps telling me its a traffic problem, but i consistantly get pings of about 5000 for any p2p programs. five thousand. thats not even near reasonable and i think packets are just being blocked somehow. the admins of the network say they arnt blocking any ports. iv been messing with http tunneling, but im not sure how to incoperate that into p2p, much less how to use the thing at all. btw thanks for responding.

Comment

Working...
            X