To Jason: Miranda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Jason: Miranda

Hey Jason, I was wondering if you could help me out / answer my questions bout Miranda ... and perhaps guide me w/the installation and getting things running the way I want. I was kinda confused as to what to do after I initially intall the prog. I think my biggest question was whether or not Miranda can support AIM away msgs ... bc that's perhaps the most important feature college students use. Btw ... I basically ONLY use aim ... so I don't really care much bout any other yahoo, msn mess, etc features.

I guess I'll edit this as my questions come up.

1) Does Miranda support aim away messages?
    2) Can I save my aim buddy list? If so how?
    3) How do I make the non-online ppl on my list become invisible (not listed)? Nm, got this.
    4) Is Miranda able to do aim file transfers?
    5) Is there a way to have a "off-line group" on the bottom of my list?
    6) Can I be connected to my aim account simultaneously using AIM and Miranda?
    Last edited by Sufficient; 10-13-2004, 02:29 AM.

I think Miranda is really happy if you take her out on dates in Tech Support/Help
    Greets,
    Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Sufficient

1) Does Miranda support aim away messages?
      2) Can I save my aim buddy list? If so how?
      3) How do I make the non-online ppl on my list become invisible (not listed)? Nm, got this.
      4) Is Miranda able to do aim file transfers?
      5) Is there a way to have a "off-line group" on the bottom of my list?
      6) Can I be connected to my aim account simultaneously using AIM and Miranda?
      1- yes
      2- the buddy list is controlled through AIM's database. Miranda simply retrieves it.
      4- haven't tried, but probably not
      5- not sure
      6- yes
      NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by Rodge_Rabbit
        I think Miranda is really happy if you take her out on dates in Tech Support/Help
        You're getting better at it ! Keep going rodger !

Comment

For some reason Miranda won't allow me to get online ... is it bc of something w/my college LAN/firewall?

Nm ... found a workaround ... http://forums.miranda-im.org/viewtopic.php?t=17362
          Last edited by Sufficient; 10-13-2004, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Hey Jerome ... I can't see other ppl's away msg ... under aim protocol.

Oh ... and I tried ... apparantly I CANNOT use aim and miranda under the same name simultaneously. It kicks me off one of them when I try to sign in w/the other.
            Last edited by Sufficient; 10-13-2004, 03:23 PM.

Comment

The AIM support in Miranda is fairly limited. This is because Miranda operates on the TOC protocol, rather than the Oscar protocol. The TOC protocol is freely distributed by AOL, no licensing or anything like that. TOC won't allow you to read away messages. You can only see that a user is away. TOC also won't allow you to use HTML (colors/font sizes/background colors). You'll always see plain text. In fact, pretty much everything you're having trouble with is a limitation of the TOC protocol.

Oscar, on the other hand, is AOL's proprietary protocol. It's used in the latest versions of the AIM client. There are several groups out there (and I do mean several) working to reverse engineer the protocol. It's going to be awhile before they make any substantial amount of progress. When they're finally successful, you'll start to see Oscar driven third party AIM clients.

The thing with Miranda is this, it's only as robust as you want it to be. If you REALLY need all of the features of the standard AIM client, I suggest you use the standard AIM client. You might want to go grab an Add-On such as middle_man in order to kill all the advertising shit. (Just run a Google search on middle_man if you're interested.) If you can handle the disappearance of a few features, Miranda is sweet. It's a tiny application, and it uses very little memory. And, of course, it's customizable like whoa.

So yeah, I'm too lazy to re-read your original post, so I'm not sure if I actually answered your questions. Drop me a forum PM if you want to discuss this further.
              jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rodge_Rabbit
                LOL!! That's great..
                |
                Spam me, Im bored: Sleepsmokr0001@yahoo.com
                Selex - (Early) 2000 - (Mid) 2004 Retiree!(July 25)
                [Spastic]
                --:fear:--

Comment

I can just picture Miranda being a beautiful girl, happy, kind, a one-man girl, seeking for her first true love..

And there he is, Sufficient was his name. As she looked upon him with her eyecathing eyes. It didn't take long for Miranda to take Sufficient's heart. It was a special day for both Miranda and Sufficient, especially for Miranda, since this was her first true love. And boy was Sufficient lucky.

At first they started out as just being friends, having great times togheter, going to movies, playing games, having long deep convs.. By time Sufficient couldn't bare it, the feeling that he had for Miranda. And as he didn't know, this was Mirandas first true love too, and that she had the same feelings as he had.

So one day he said to her:
                  "You know Miranda, I'm kinda embarresed about what I'm going to say, how could I put it.. We've been friends for 3 years now, and it has been a great time.. and.. what I realy mean is.. the first day I meet you.. I couldn't avoid falling in love with you. I've loved you since that day we first meet, and being with you has been such a joy in my life, as if my life was lifted up from a dungeon. Before you came into my life, I had this big deppression.. life really sucked, I wanned to die.. but then you came, spreading the joy and happiness to my life.

Everytime I look upon you I feel al warmed up inside, like you get home from a long wander in the snowy cold winter, knowing that you will have warm place to come to.. and when you sit beside the warm fireplace.. something wonderful. I'm not sure what you think of me, even though you don't love me, I'm glad that I have had this time with you, and I hope we still could be friend if.. There are many wonderful things about you that takes hours to say, you are a very special girl you know.."

Then there follows a silent moment.. Sufficient's heart is pounding hard and fast, waiting for some answer. The time stops, and all is going in slomotion.. she look upon him, with her cute dimond like eyes.. closes her eyes, and slowly come near Sufficient, and gives a soft kiss with tears in her eyes. And says: "I was wondering when you would say that, I have been waiting for so long.. you the only one for me."

3 years later, Sufficient and Miranda is now married, and very happy. They have one wonderful girl, just like her mother.

Sry I can't help you with miranda, I'm not that geeky when it comes to linux.
                  Last edited by 1ight; 10-15-2004, 08:37 AM.
                  Endless space, endless exploration.

Comment

Trillian supports most AIM/MSN/ICQ/IRC/Yahoo! functions all in one program.

ceruleanstudios.com
                    5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                    5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                    5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Originally posted by Fit of Rage
                      Trillian supports most AIM/MSN/ICQ/IRC/Yahoo! functions all in one program.

ceruleanstudios.com
                      I don't really care bout skins tho. To me Trillian is a bit bloated too. In general all the progs I use are small. Ex. I use foobar as opposed to winamp. I also have an old comp 400 mHz 128 megs mem and 12 gigs HD.

Comment

I use gaim http://gaim.sourceforge.net/ which you probably already know about if you're using miranda.

I've also used AIM 1.0 without any problems. If you don't like the current AIM, go back to a previous version...I haven't seen any compatibility issues (except fewer features that you probably didn't use anyway). Get'em at http://oldversion.com/

Comment

Originally posted by geekbot
                          I use gaim http://gaim.sourceforge.net/ which you probably already know about if you're using miranda.

I've also used AIM 1.0 without any problems. If you don't like the current AIM, go back to a previous version...I haven't seen any compatibility issues (except fewer features that you probably didn't use anyway). Get'em at http://oldversion.com/
                          I use 5.1... it's the latest no-BS release that still works with Direct Connect
                          NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Working...
                          X