Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting specced for high lag? isn't that why we have laglimits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting specced for high lag? isn't that why we have laglimits?

I decided to cut off the first 2 paragraphes because I think it doesn't matter who got specced and who didn't and by who. It's just that in general these rules make no sense to me.

It's too obvious that in an onlinegame players won't be honest and will be corrupt when given the opportunity. Mods are allowed to make their own decisions about what is too much lag?! I wonder why we still have these laglimits when even our staff agrees they aren't strict enough.
    If you want to spec someone for having a too high ping you should at least be able to proof he's lagcheating. Like when someone pulls his plug and has spikes just on those moments he needs them, that's lagcheating and you're able to see it. Just a high ping / bad connection however doesn't say much, except that he is in the game and is below the "official" laglimits.
    I'll be the first to agree that these current laglimits are pretty insane and useless. I even wonder if there actually is a laglimit for high ping. I myself don't really mind if someone has steady 200 or 300 ping, but once someone has 100-300 low/current ping with a 5000 high ping I get scared.
    The worst staff can do is agree the laglimits aren't strict enough and then instead of raising these limits, let mods decide which players actually lag too much. This they can do without any concrete proof of who is actually creating lag / lagcheating and who is not. Because then we all know even the best staffers will suddenly become corrupt and overrule to not spec their buddy/squadmate or even himself for an amount of lag a random player would get specced for. We all know that happened before.

when a cheater call comes in about so and so lagging in a twd game, we staff (at least some) do the following:
    - lag check, to see how the pings are
    - tinfo check
    - and visual check

sometimes a player can have a perfect ping and tinfo, but visually eating and jumping around. there isnt really a lag limit but there is a guideline in which staff look at, or rather, more of a lag limit range. if someone's ping is above the limit, however visiaully not eating or ghosting or jumping, we (at least i) usually dont spec him/her. True, the whole lag thing will eventually come down to the mod's opinion, but if you don't agree on the mod's decision, the player can always ask for another staff to confirm it.
    1 + 1 = 1

Comment

It's my opinion that it's not the "highness" of the ping that matters.

If someone has a steady 300 ping, it's much better than someone who has a ping of 90 spiking to 180 every few seconds (what typically happens when downloading). Sometimes these spikes are too quick to register on ?lag but you can see them on the player ping times and also the player will be jumpy. Also packetloss has a similar effect, also often giving the player apparent super speed and rotation.

I've seen some cheater calls where the mod who gets it checks the player's *lag and then says it's fine. I think checking visual lag (i.e. are they jumpy) should have a much higher priority than simply checking *lag.
      NOTE: I have purposely left out *tinfo as I'm not 100% sure what it means, I believe the higher the diff jumps the jumpier the player, but I still think checking visually is the best way.
      USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
      ---A few minutes later---
      9:cool koen> you scorereseted
      9:Kim> UM
      9:Kim> i didn't
      9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
      9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
      9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
      9:pascone> lol?

Comment

I just think that a lot of SS players ... myself included ... don't have a firm/realistic grasp as to how lag, ping, and ploss REALLY work in real life and in SS. Most of us are semi-tech saavy ... but still, most of us are NOT comp engineers who have a deeper understanding of these things.

Comment

sorry to say it but a overwhelming amount of "staffers" are "biased"..

strict guidlines should be implemented and should be followed for each and every player.

how many times hasnt a mods "decision" or lack of, cause a game, ruined a twl game/season perhaps?

time to end it.
          Displaced> I get pussy every day
          Displaced> I'm rich
          Displaced> I drive a ferrari lol
          Displaced> ur a faggot with no money
          Thors> prolly
          Thors> but the pussy is HAIRY!

best comeback ever

Comment

The staffer can spec a guy if he has over ..... ms, his tinfo spikes up and down with varietys of ....., OR if he is VISIBLY jumping/spiking on the screen.
            Originally Posted by HeavenSent
            You won't have to wait another 4 years.
            There wont be another election for president.
            Obama is the Omega President.
            http://wegotstoned.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nevermind.
              Last edited by Na$; 01-14-2005, 10:26 AM.
              Winner of TWDL Scrotals
              Winner of TWT Melee
              Winner of TWLD -FINAL-

Comment

ow

i think poor people shouldnt play this game o.O
                hehehe.
                Anyway, i never have lag o.O sad but true.
                So i dont get why people sometimes lag i mean same computer, same connection isnt that a bit strange (points out to Beat Box, and some others)
                :grin:
                Lag ruines the fun of TW
                Lets start a Anti-Lag campaign that will NOT solve our problems
                <3
                ------->

Comment

I put it like this. If a player who has high lag is doing any of the following.

-Eating Lots of shots
                  -Teleporting
                  -Doing that jumping around like Pikachu does in Super Smash Bros
                  -or anything else that is adversely affecting the match to the player's benefit

That's grounds for speccing. I don't really go by numbers, just by those guidelines. I generally won't spec someone who lags but has a 3-8 ratio. Cause even if they lag, it's obviously not helping them out.
                  DELETED

Comment

[QUOTE=Displaced]sorry to say it but a overwhelming amount of "staffers" are "biased"..
                    QUOTE]

i wouldnt say so, if u know who are the mods, you might notice them constantly speccing players that have been given to them by ?cheater calls

i also know that staff are not afriad to spec or kick someone if they are eating uncontrolably
                    04.07.05 08:59

Comment

Well there is one problem about using a visual check in order to decide wether to spec a player or not. The problem is that the moderator or referee might not have a good conection to and might be a bit laggy when it comes to receive server info... i guess the best way to achieve it is by using the two methods... not just viewing values or not just watching a person playing but using both to have a better guess on the issue.

Lag does not always work well to the side of the person lagging... especially if his ploss is big when it comes to receive server packs... in that case he might be seeing almost everyone jumping around is screen and bullets coming from nowhere. About spikes... well thats a diferent issue and it has to do with the fact that sometimes his connection receives a "overload" of packs and is unable to process all of them thus letting some information out, causing the person to jump in that split second. Another matter that comes to attention is that your high value is not refreshed continuosly thus sometimes you can spike in the first 5 minutes of your game but your connection gets stable you will keep your high value for lots of time... i guess its until your session ends but im not sure. That kind of issue might allow misjudgements about a persons lag... dunno if staff receives the same info about lag as the player but if it works that way...
                      Last edited by Arikel; 01-17-2005, 02:11 PM.
                      A kiss is a rosy dot over the 'i' of loving.

Cyrano de Bergerac

Comment

Originally posted by Arikel
                        Well there is one problem about using a visual check in order to decide wether to spec a player or not. The problem is that the moderator or referee might not have a good conection to and might be a bit laggy when it comes to receive server info... i guess the best way to achieve it is by using the two methods... not just viewing values or not just watching a person playing but using both to have a better guess on the issue.
                        Often they'll ask for a second opinion from another mod.
                        USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                        ---A few minutes later---
                        9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                        9:Kim> UM
                        9:Kim> i didn't
                        9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                        9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                        9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                        9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Although I find it fun playing people with steady 200-300ms pings because I used to lag that much and know how to manipulate it, I would still be in favor of stricter limits. That's all I can really say, I think staff does an okay job given the limitations of the guidelines they must follow, which are only limited because of the dishonesty of the typical player.
                          -Dave

Comment

I've noticed that if, say you have 250 ping. But its a consistant 250 ping, its really not that bad. It's definately something you can fight against. The things that get you are the ones that are really unstable (like 50 ping to 250).
                            DELETED

Comment

Ive gotten specced 2 times by idiot staffers for having 130ms, keep it up guys, you're doin great!

Comment

Working...
                              X