• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MessageBot tutorial

Welcome to the MessageBot tutorial.

For channel stuff:

Owner stuff (and some operator):

Today you will be learning how to start and maintain a channel on MessageBot.

The first step to getting a channel is by doing a ?help. In the ?help message be sure to include the channel name you want and why you want it. If your reason is valid you should soon get contacted to receive the channel. For the duration of the tutorial, we will assume the channel's name is <channel>.

When you receive your new channel it should be a private channel. If you wish to make it public you can pm the bot with !public <channel>. If at any time you would like to make it private again pm the bot with !private <channel>.

To begin using your channel, find some people to !join <channel> it. If you are a private channel you will have to accept their requests by pm'ing the bot with !accept <channel>:<player'sname>. To view all requests to join your channel, pm the bot with !requests <channel>. If you see a player you do not want to give access to, pm the bot with !reject <channel>:<name>.

You can send a pm out to your channel members by PM'ing the bot with !announce <channel>:<message>. To leave a message for players that are not online, pm the bot with !message <channel>:<message>, and the bot will store a message in the database for them.

To get someone banned from your chat, pm the bot with !ban <channel>:<name>. To lift this ban pm the bot with !unban <channel>:<name>. When a player gets unbanned, they are restored to the position they were before they were banned.

A channel owner can also set operators using the !makeop <channel>:<name> command. This will give a player all permissions the owner has except they cannot !grant, !makeop, !deop, or !destroy. If the operator isn't working out, you may !deop <channel>:<player> to get rid of his operator powers. !destroy brings me to my second to last point on channel ownership, if do not want this channel anymore, pm the bot with !destroy <channel>. This will destroy the channel and it can be claimed by a new player. If you know another player that wants this channel or you want to give it to someone, pm the bot with !grant <channel>:<name> to give them ownership.

To see who is banned or is a member of the channel, just pm the bot with !banned <channel> or !members <channel>.

Regular player:

A regular player can utilize the bot by joining chats. To join a chat simply pm the bot with !join <channel>. When <channel>'s owner returns and sees your request he can choose to !accept or !reject you.

When you are on a chat, you can leave it by pm'ing the bot with !quit <channel>. To find out who owns a certain channel, pm the bot with !owner <channel>.

To find out all the messages you have, you can pm the bot with !messages. The bot will spam you with all the message numbers and tell you whether the message is read or unread. To read a message pm the bot with !read <#>. To delete a message pm the bot with !delete <#>. If you wish to save the message, pm the bot with !unread <#> after you have read it. If you wish to delete all of your messages, you just have to PM the bot with !delete all and it will clear all of them.

If you have forgotten what channels you are on, you can always pm the bot with !me to get it to tell you what channels you're on and what power you have in each channel.

For other message stuff:

MessageBot now has a system where you can leave a message for just one player. This is intended to be used as an optional replacement for the ?message stuff on the biller. MessageBot allows you to keep your messages for however long you want instead of them getting deleted when you logout.

To message a player you just need to pm MessageBot with !lmessage <name>:<message>. You can ignore players with !ignore <name>, take them off of ignore with !unignore <name>, and view who you have ignored with !ignored.

Ok, the last and most important command is available to EVERYONE. It's !help. You can use this command ingame if you need a quick reminder of what all the bot things do.
    Last edited by Ikrit; 01-03-2006, 07:18 PM.
    Ban Ikrit

interesting, very interesting Icky.

Now, in explanation to those such as me who have no idea, would you care to tell the public exactly what a channel does, clear up possible misconceptions?
    In other words, a few questions.
    #1 What is the difference between a channel and a chat ( you seem to have the two interchangable here- is a channel a bunch of extra options to a ?chat or soemthing completely different?
    #2 Do you talk on a channel like with ?chats, or is it for messaging, more like ?message?
    #3 Hi, what made you change your name to Icky?

Originally posted by Disliked
    Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
    +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

1# Channels differ from redchat as the messages are all done in the way of Private Messages, or stored messages that players can read when they login. It is more like using the # in a squadchat.

2# as far as i believe, the channels aren't really used for chatting.. but to communicate with other members, you can do 2 things.. to leave a stored message : pm the bot with !message <channel>:<message> to send a PM to all online players in your channel : PM the bot with !announce <channel>:<message>

3# i believe he was granted staff at the time of the change so maybe wanted a smaller name? its not my place to say, so i'll leave that one to him.

hope this helps
      04.07.05 08:59

Comment

Cool idea, I'm testing it out now.

Btw there is a typo in:

(MessageBot)>!me -Tells you what chennels you have joined.

Comment

Originally posted by Tibro
          1# Channels differ from redchat as the messages are all done in the way of Private Messages, or stored messages that players can read when they login. It is more like using the # in a squadchat.

2# as far as i believe, the channels aren't really used for chatting.. but to communicate with other members, you can do 2 things.. to leave a stored message : pm the bot with !message <channel>:<message> to send a PM to all online players in your channel : PM the bot with !announce <channel>:<message>

3# i believe he was granted staff at the time of the change so maybe wanted a smaller name? its not my place to say, so i'll leave that one to him.

hope this helps

You have learned well my young padawan. (We had these discussions in the MessageBot testing thread).

anyway: #3 - I wanted to get rid of the confusion with Jacen_Solo, I had just found out a LOT of people that I thought knew that I wasn't the _Solo thought that I was.. so I was like "Ok, name change!" .

I need people to critque this bot as much as they can. When I get it perfect, one of its best features will be "enabled". By "enabled" I mean it'll be put up on RoboQueen where I can use a pubbot module I wrote to inform messagebot that a player has just signed on so that messagebot can tell them that they have new messages.

ANYWAY... I gotta go to school now (((((
          Ban Ikrit

Comment

Ahh what is this ^-^
            -Kawrae

Comment

I have one question, don't think I'm having a go or anything but what is the point in this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Peanuts
                I have one question, don't think I'm having a go or anything but what is the point in this?
                there are many practical uses, one of which: lets say your squad chat got leaked, you can just use messagebot and voila people are informed.... i think :fear:
                Last edited by colony; 04-05-2005, 07:43 AM.
                audit> and btw, im your fan!

DeeZ NuTs> time to own
                DeeZ NuTs> got my fedex hat on
                Azreal> LOloL
                cook> ROFL

R.I.P VENOM

Comment

the bot may also be useful for anyone who has already got 10 redchats, but still wants another way to get in touch with more ppl..

Comment

If you need more than 10 chats, you're a certified piece of shit.
                    sage

Comment

good job i only have 4

Comment

Ok, let's pretend you have a group of friends all in different squads... and you want to leave them all a message... but there are 30 of them. All you have to do is have the channel and !message them the message through the bot.

Another thing, let's say TWL/Robo Ref/whatever is having problems and you're joined to one of the channels that involves that. The bot can be used to leave a message with everyone telling them what the problem is, when it should be fixed, and to give updates every once and a while instead of you getting on, doing a ?help, waiting for someone that knows what they're talking about, and having to do that a ton of times before the problem is finally fixed.
                        Ban Ikrit

Comment

It should be a chatchannel, with messaging etc. in the chat itself + leaving a message to all chatmembers.
                          PM'ing is annyoing
                          Still a good job!!! :up:
                          I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

Sounds vaguely like IRC to me.
                            Hello Denon it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several days, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Comment

I still dont get it
                              -Kawrae

Comment

Working...
                              X