TWD ladder system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWD ladder system

so will TWD ladder get fixed. It was chaos before TWL when all squads played only vs newb squads. good diea would be if wouldnt gain rating if have played vs. too many low rank squads or vs same squad. example no rating gain if squad have played 5x vs squads which are under rank 5 and no rating gain if squad have played 2x vs same squad.
    www.BasingCrew.com

Yeah ... the rating system / TWD ladder system could be improved. Prob the best things to do would be to suggest a better formula. Get the public to throw out formula ideas.

Comment

Providing I understood current rating formula well - No points are "created" - points are just redistributated. This works well until too many squads played few xDs, lost them and dissolves. This brings new points which usually ends in top squads. This leads in large differences in ratings (from 1500-800) causing point "inflation" of good squads and I am not sure if creators of formula took it into account. Maybe if points would be checked every week or so to secure that there is only

N*1000 points distributed
      N = number of squads on ladder

because the sum of total points will be larger it should be balanced (how to not penalise too good/bad squads?)
      I dont have any suggestion tho...
      Problems I see with current system - newcomers have 1000 points which may catapult them to 1st third of table (twbd now)
      Too simple redistribution - one gains all. Perhaps if looser would get few points... but it may be too easy to abuse.
      Match is not worth the risk for squad which has like 300 points more than its oponnent. End this happens often because of point inflation.
      Lot of up/down move. Maybe more inertia wont harm - squad may be on top for 1 month than lose few matches (lets face it - you dont have your best lineup on 24/7) with some mid point squads and voila - you are in the middle of the table. I think it should be more slow. (not stopped ofc).

As i said - i have no suggestion at the moment. and its easy to see problems, but harded to fix it.
      Feel free to explain where my mistake is - even I can do errors.
      Plutarch: "To find a fault is easy; to do better may be difficult."

Comment

I always liked the system of where you can only challenge the squad above you (if first place, only take challenges from squad #2). They'd be called "Ranking Matches". Where you have to fight every squad on the way up to #1. Each squad would be a filter for a "lesser" squad to get past to ensure the top 5 are really the top 5.

Now, Immediately there are lots of cons to go about this...

-The said squad isn't on when we'd like >.<
        -They never accept challenges :/
        -They just spam us with challenges until we accept!
        -How can we practice if we can only accept the one below and challenge the one above?
        -What about inactive squads?

I've come up with some ground rules to cover this...

A squad can only be challenged a maximum of 5 times a day by one other squad. If the squad will never accept them over a period of 2 days or more**, then they get dropped to the bottom of the ladder. (inactivity filter)

** You have to use all 5 challenges in one day or a total of 10 uncontested challenges over a week. Each challenge can only be issued after 30 minutes, and the challenge lasts that entire 30 minutes.

Now, if you wish to play a skirmish against another squad with no points, you can challenge a squad on another point of the ladder in a non-ranking match where the points don't matter, just a friendly game with blueout default off.

Now, here's where you all come in. What else am I missing to halt abuse of the system and would you guys wanna do something like this if I can get someone to do this?
        DELETED

Comment

Dameon:

As long as it's something else than TWD. TWD is fine the way it is. The "free-for-all and challenge-anyone" system works, is good and keeps players happy.

Those cons you described are already enough to scrap the whole idea.

Challenge limits
          Not a good idea.

Play a lower-ranked squad and get no points
          Why would anyone want to play a lower-ranked squad if they don't get any points. You NEED some points and the small competition.

Challenge valid for 30-mins
          Way too long, anything could happen in this time.

Comment

I suppose the system would only work with a smaller amount of squads and having that group of squads be more cohesive. This just proves moreso that if you guys complain, you can't have your cake and eat it too, you can't make everybody happy. There is no "perfect" system that someone has come up with yet.

So, from here on out, instead of bitching about it, come up with your own solution like Volny here. be constructive
            DELETED

Comment

So far from what I read in this thread, the current TWD System works fine; Not a perfect system, but good enough.

Bottomline if a squad thinks he can sneak into TWL just by playing lowly rank squads, then they are in for a big surprise when they are accepted into TWL. It sure is embarassing for a squad to go 0-10 in regular season of TWL.

Besides this, other squads will start to complain or pressure the squad which only plays mediocre squads. This will decrease their squad reputation and eventually the squad will dissolve. Like just before last season, Marshmallow Marines were quite highly ranked, yet only played mediocre squads. People complained, eventually they tried playing harder squads, but then fell down the ranks and later dissolved.

But then the concern what if too many lousy squads get into TWL, then the whole competition goes down the drain, making it a bore for the best squads out there. Usually, from what I seen in past TWL seasons, only like 2-3 mediocre squads make it into TWL.

The Current TWD system isn't perfect, but it works and has a good history for the last few seasons.

Perhaps TWL Ops should have a rule, where it is upto the TWL Op to decide whether a questionable squad should be accepted in TWL. For example, if a mediocre squad just makes it, yet if the TWL op looks at the twd history and sees that this squad is only playing easy squads.. yet another squad which is like just a few pts behind them, yet was playing harder squads. Then a good TWL op, would pick that squad instead because this would encourage better competition for TWL.
              Last edited by Merkaba; 06-14-2005, 07:24 PM.

Comment

the last few years, the TWL has been won by the best squads. No squad is lucky or whatever, so i think the TWD system is doing pretty well for itself.
                There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

Adman pretty much owned the thread with that one, damn good, point. The day an Elenya wins a TWL then we change the system.
                  DELETED

Comment

The day an Elenya wins a TWL then we change the system.
                    That was ownage
                    -Kawrae

Comment

Originally posted by Adman
                      the last few years, the TWL has been won by the best squads. No squad is lucky or whatever, so i think the TWD system is doing pretty well for itself.
                      Noone is questiong quality of top4 squads (or top8)

Problem is that noone really care about TWD now. as long as they are qualified they are happy.
                      I still believe that TWD has potential to really be competetive. This is however hard in current system where its too easy to change your TWD position too rapidly - so TWLcapable squads ABSOLUTLY doesnt care till last week. and this looks wrong to me

Comment

I think it is very competitive, it's just in that post-twl slump where rosters are changing and people are getting their barrings around it right now.
                        DELETED

Comment

When I think about this. One squad comes to mind. Militaris.
                          2 time TWLD runner up.

If not a medal, cant I get a Ribbon??

Comment

twd games are like ?go wbduel to me. i'm surprised some of you feel this strongly about this. lol
                            RaCka> how can i get you here
                            death row> well basically im holdin off cuz i jus joined sweet. so its not u, its me
                            RaCka> YOU'RE DUMPING ME?!?!?!?
                            death row> LOL I KNOW I JUS READ THAT LINE AGAIN

Comment

Originally posted by Dameon Angell
                              I think it is very competitive, it's just in that post-twl slump where rosters are changing and people are getting their barrings around it right now.
                              v.

Originally posted by death row
                              twd games are like ?go wbduel to me. i'm surprised some of you feel this strongly about this. lol

as I said... current system is competetive only few days before TWL. And its cos it takes only few days to get from bottom to the top.

Comment

Working...
                              X