X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG I have lag (READ THIS)

Hi,

I get a lot of reports of lag, so I wanted to post on here exactly what I'll ask you to help get your lag down. If you're lagging, read this, and maybe it will help.

1. What other apps are you running?
    Any other network applications will affect your lag. Instant messenger clients will do it minimally; file sharing maximally.

2. Have you downloaded anything lately?
    Using file-sharing programs will kill your bandwidth, but what you may not know is that they don't always shut down when you tell them to. Many times Kazaa or BitTorrent clients will remain resident and will be actually uploading things to the internet when you think they're shut off. Check for icons in your system tray, by your clock, and close any file-sharing programs that are still running.

3. How many other computers are on your network?
    It is becoming more and more common to have multiple computers in the home (where the vast majority of players play). If a family member or roommate is downloading on the same connection that you're playing TW on then it will be sucking up your bandwidth, even on a different computer. The big test here if you're having lots of lag, don't meet conditions 1 or 2, but meet condition 3, is to shut down all of the computers in the house except for yours, wait a few minutes, then check your lag.

Naturally, many other factors can influence your lag, but I've found that these three are predominant with the typical user.

pls sticky.

--caco

Comment

Its all true

Ive had it all :P

Once i lagged out continuesly, iw as like wtf i even shut my firewall off, then i checked the room next, shut utorrent off and voila ^-^

Comment

Another thing to check for is Spyware and viruses

My computer got 0wn3d and was sending out spam. Making me lag

Fixed it now and my lag if great!
        Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
        Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

how did you fix it?

Comment

one other thing for the ones with slow machines, "fixed" that on my bro's comp. make sure you have the graphic card accelerator on maximum(for some games like ANNO 1602 you have to set it it minimum), you do this in the advanced options where you change your resolution. somewhat like a "problems" tab, dont know what it says in the english version of windows. also deactivating the blinking of programs in the taskbar speeds your computer up (AIM especially that sometimes goes up to a ram usage of 160MB!!!). usually you can change that in the options. lowered my bro's ping by about 50-100 ms and ploss from 0.8% to 0.1%. might be a help for everyone still living in the stoneage and all others who hate laggy people :P

also if you really do not want to stop filesharing most clients offer the option to control your upload/download. leave about 16kB/s for subspace and if it doesnt take up all your ram you should experience a lag increase of no more than 10 ms. you can also experiment with the amount of simultaneous connections.

but if you do not need any other programs running, shut them off, download later, be fair to the community and have more fun playing too.

if you want to have some more help fixing your lag as good as possible, contact me at bkgmjo@gmx.net or ingame with "?message L O V E" or "?message bkgmjo"

Comment

Originally posted by bkgmjo View Post
              also if you really do not want to stop filesharing most clients offer the option to control your upload/download. leave about 16kB/s for subspace and if it doesnt take up all your ram you should experience a lag increase of no more than 10 ms. you can also experiment with the amount of simultaneous connections.
              In my knowledge this is counted as lag manipulation and is illegal..

aka against the rules.
              3:Wax> ard and i snapchat all the time
              3:Wax> we play virtually tummysticks
              3:i.d.> da fk is that?
              3:Ardour> we basically are each others personal psychologist
              3:Shadowmere> i.d., Wax breaks keyboards playing SubSpace. Best not ask him what anything is.
              3:Wax> Tummy sticks is the situation, commonly referred to as a game, in which two erect men cuddle closely and face-to-face causing their two erect penises, or sticks, to push upwards between their stomachs, or tummys.
              3:Wax> Sticks combine with tummys, hence the name "tummy sticks."
              3:Shadowmere> LOL
              3:i.d.> Oddly, that's close to what I thought it was...

Best> I never cooked a day in my life

Deft> beat by a guy who plays ss on his cellphone
              Shadowmere> Rofl
              Up in ya !> With his feet
              Deft> no kidding, redefining l44t
              Up in ya !> l44t feet
              Deft> l44t f44t*
              Up in ya !> Twinkle toes
              Deft> he had l33t f33t but he practiced

Comment

i know this is illegal but tell me how many people care about lag manipulation by messengers or downloading (or cleaning their system from spyware). i rather want them to play with 10 ms more than usual than to jump around like crazy. thats why i said be fair and shut them off btw.

Comment

I have a pretty effective way of cleaning out my computer and keeping it in tip-top shape which I will share with everyone.

First off take a visit to www.download.com - and download this great trio of spyware/virus removing programs ---

1. Grisoft AVG
                  2. Spybot Search and Destroy
                  3. Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition.

Make sure these are all updated, and go to start/run - type in MSCONFIG (for XP users) click on diagnostic mode, and apply, restart your computer and it should load automatically into a safe mode. Run all three of the aforementioned programs. When you are done there, go back to start/run - MSCONFIG and go back to Normal, and apply. Restart your computer, and delete your cookies/temporary internet files just to be safe, then run a Defragment, basically this puts files that should be together, closer together on the hard drive so that they open quicker. For instance, if you had Continuum sound files on the back of the hard drive, and continuum graphics files on the front, it might cause computer lag. After you run a defrag, run a scandisk (you can get to both of these by right clicking on C: - going to properties, and clicking on the tools tab).

If you are on DialUp - You can right click on internet explorer, go to properties (even if you use FIreFOx do it through IE) go to the connections tab, click on your dial up connection, and click on properties, make sure your maximum speed is on the highest possible, also you can fiddle with error control, compression, and a few send/receive buffers until you get the best possible results.

If you are connected Wirelessly - It has been awhile since I have done this, but there is a program somewhere under Users called Wireless Zero, if you turn this program off, you should fix most of your packetloss, and lag problems, besides making it a much more stable connection.

Also for all users, if you have had your modems plugged in for a long time, dust can actually build up on the heads and cause lost connectivity, you can safely use a very very lightly damp cloth to clean off dust from these heads.

If you are having jumping programs in game that are not related to lag, press ESC + F in game and look for the red number in the top left corner of the screen, that is your frames per second. A good FPS would be around the 128 range for this game, too much FPS is a bad thing, especially if you are on a lower end computer. The best thing to do is go to www.microsoft.com and download DirectX9.0 Enduser, the latest DX available. Also you can go to the advanced options in your continuum window and turn on avoid page flipping, and a few other options to substantially raise your FPS.

I would suggest running the programs/defrag/scandisk once a week, it really helps you maintain a computer without problems.
                  Epinephrin> I hope quicksand actually does become pretty good

Epinephrin> always fun to have a villian in the game

Comment

or if you live an a country like australia nothing will fix your lag :P or if you life in the amzazon. Also wireless internet can give you bad ploss
                    help: (how do i shot) (Public 0): how do i travel diagonally? i only have up, down, left and right keys.

4:PinkSTAR <ER>> ask DP he knows me inside and out

Comment

I have quite a weird lag issue.although I do live in residence and share internet within the building, there are times during the day where it works perfectly fine, and i have no packetloss whatsoever, but then there are times in the day where it just ends up lagging like mad into the double digit percentage ploss..Now i realize that because i live in residence it's probably the main reason, but if it works sometimes, then i just don't understand

Comment

I can only play TWJD/TWDD matches in the morning because during the morning there are less people using the ISP. And I discovered that my ISP saturates it's connection when it gets to my region. So during the day - I'm fucked =/

Comment

If you're using a firesharing client, and experiencing lag, and have no idea what's going on, then you deserve to be laggy for exessive stupdity.
                          Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Originally posted by Revolve View Post
                            If you are connected Wirelessly - It has been awhile since I have done this, but there is a program somewhere under Users called Wireless Zero, if you turn this program off, you should fix most of your packetloss, and lag problems, besides making it a much more stable connection.
                            The Wireless Zero Configuration utility is a hell of a lot better than the shitty ones that come packed with wireless cards.
                            USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                            ---A few minutes later---
                            9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                            9:Kim> UM
                            9:Kim> i didn't
                            9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                            9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                            9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                            9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Originally posted by Sertifi. View Post
                              In my knowledge this is counted as lag manipulation and is illegal..

aka against the rules.
                              It's not manipulation if it falls within the lag limits and not give a player a sufficient advantage. If say, someone increases his lag from an average of 80 to 90 ms (as bkgmjo stated) to leave some bandwidth for a download, how is it illegal if his lag is still half as low as most of Brazilians'?
                              1:Kthx> Hey Cower ill let you play the next game if you can name me five medieval weapons.
                              1:Cower> Sword
                              1:Kthx> ok
                              1:Cower> Axe
                              1:Kthx> WAIT, YOU GOT IT
                              1:Cower> ?
                              1:Kthx> GET OFF THE CHAT

Comment

Working...
                              X