X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Recovery System

Posted by Mine GO BOOM on http://www.shanky.com/server/ 23/01/2003
    So people can finally stop bugging me/priitk/ghost ship/etc:

Password recovery by e-mail feature has been added to SSC database server. Feature will be rolled out in 2 phases:
    1. Setting e-mail address phase, starting from January 29 During this time users are able to set their e-mail address by issuing command ?setemail email@add.ress. Users who haven't set e-mail address using that command will notification message to set it when they log in.

This phase will last 2-4 weeks.
    NOTE: New accounts that are created don't get that question, as e-mail address is also asked by Continuum when new user is created.

If, and if yes, under what circumstances ?setemail will be available after end of this phase is not decided yet.

2. Normal operation
    When user loses password for some name, he can log in using different name and ussue command ?lostpassword playername which causes new randomly-generated temporary password to be sent to e-mail address associated with the user name. Regular (original) password for that user will still work, new password is additional password, player use to log in and change regular password. Temporary password is valid for 24h.

PriitK
    Giving ya'all warning in advance
    gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
    gravy_: Electric granny chariots
    gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

nice...finally i can get some names back ( i never understood what platinum-halo told me when i asked him for a lost pass something about and ip-mid match...never got it )
    The steps of life are easily forgotten by those who climb the ladder.

Comment

heh i don't think you understand. The way i read it any names you used to have but have forgotten the pw for are not going to be able to be retrieved by this system. This will only work for current names that you ?setmail (or whatever) for, or any new names you create. This is merely to stop people from losing pw's in the future so that the powers that be can stop being hasseled.

Or am i wrong?
      Tigerex

Comment

thats gonna cause alot of trouble with name traders ^_^
        COYO

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote
          thats gonna cause alot of trouble with name traders ^_^
          Name traders cause too much trouble right now. Hopefully this will discourage name trading in the future.
          Last edited by FLaBiN; 01-24-2003, 02:40 PM.
          "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong" -Mahatma Gandhi

-FLaBiN
          flabin@trenchwars.org

Comment

Everybody who had names, and set email to their address at start, can get their names back...kinda elite :P

Ri
            (Squitch)> Is Ri a bot???

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerex
              heh i don't think you understand. The way i read it any names you used to have but have forgotten the pw for are not going to be able to be retrieved by this system. This will only work for current names that you ?setmail (or whatever) for, or any new names you create. This is merely to stop people from losing pw's in the future so that the powers that be can stop being hasseled.

Or am i wrong?
              either my IQ is very low and i cant read texts anymore or i could swear this new feature allows me to recover any name that matches my IP
              The steps of life are easily forgotten by those who climb the ladder.

Comment

I hope I am understanding this wrong because that just sounds plain retarded.

Comment

Err, not really, what it says means that with that new feature you will be able to set a email address for names you have access to which in the future can be used to retrieve your lost / stolen name.

Still, it's not certain from that message how will be names registered in the past with lost passwords handled...Hey, was there a feature to set email adresses in SubSpace client at all? =(

1:Eeks> well that bichix was trying to start conversation with me today
                  1:Eeks> and got excited when i said i wanna go drink today =/
                  1:Eeks> but i didn't propose anything
                  1:Zloy> Why
                  1:Eeks> i didn't have anything to fill that box zloy

Comment

Originally posted by Zloy
                    Hey, was there a feature to set email adresses in SubSpace client at all? =(
                    On the orginal VIE servers I don't believe there was, but the online form that comes up with new usernames on SSC servers was added several years ago which requires you to put in an email address. Basically this command is allowing you to put a valid email address associated with your username. This makes less work for SSC Billing Ops investigating and retrieving lost passwords now that it is going to be automated.
                    "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong" -Mahatma Gandhi

-FLaBiN
                    flabin@trenchwars.org

Comment

What about major spammage. I could ?lostpassword flabin 100 times and 100 different messages would be in his inbox. ELITE
                      COYO

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote
                        What about major spammage. I could ?lostpassword flabin 100 times and 100 different messages would be in his inbox. ELITE
                        Or you could do it an easier way and just send a 100 emails to my email address. With the ?lostpassword you will get kicked off the server if you do too many.

-FLaBiN
                        flabin@trenchwars.org

Comment

I assume it'd only send it, at the most, once every week. Thus avoiding spamming.
                          gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
                          gravy_: Electric granny chariots
                          gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

name trading will be eliminated, thank god, and everyone will have to rely on names to reset, this is very good, and very old news
                            I dont play this game anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Dillusion
                              name trading will be eliminated, thank god, and everyone will have to rely on names to reset, this is very good, and very old news

Says the guy who picked up how many new names today?

Comment

Working...
                              X