Getting a new harddrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new harddrive

Hey, I was curious in getting a new harddrive for my laptop, and I was wondering what are the steps I need to take in order to transfer Windows and the old information from the old harddrive to the new one. What process should I take, considering I do not have a backup copy or an original copy of Windows XP and I don't wish to have to buy one. How could I transfer the information from the old harddrive to the new without disrupting things?
    May my ambition be, more love of Christ to thee.

Is there anything wrong with the original hard drive, or do you just want something with a larger capacity? Laptop hard drives have more limitations on size than desktop drives. It's harder to find laptop drives larger than 80GB, and they tend to be more expensive than desktop drives of the same capacity.

I recently wanted to upgrade my laptop's storage. I found it was a better value to buy either an external hard drive or, as I wound up doing, buying a hard drive enclosure and using a disk from an old computer. For about $40, I added an extra 120GB to my system, on top of the 60GB the original disk drive had. If I wanted to, I could have also bought a new hard drive to put in the enclosure, and the cost would have still be cheaper than buying a new laptop hard drive. And because I didn't have to remove the old disk drive, I didn't have to re-install Windows or any other software. Of course, there are limitations to this decision: external drives including enclosures have their own A/C adaptors and also need to be plugged in. And if you do a lot of travelling with your laptop, external drives add more bulk and weight. For my purposes, the benefits outweigh the limitations. I don't know if this would be good for you. If your laptop's original disk drive has problems however, then a replacement would be a better way to go.
    Last edited by Troll King; 07-03-2006, 12:46 PM.

Comment

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...s/migrateeasy/

EDIT: in case you don't want to pay for software either (although this one is cheap), you can do a google search for free disk imaging software and find one that suits you.
      Last edited by Adrenaline Rush; 07-04-2006, 07:21 PM.

Comment

you can buy some external drives than can be powered soly of usb. ie no need for ac adaptor. these tend to be more expensive though...
        Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
        Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Norton Ghost would do it.
          USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
          ---A few minutes later---
          9:cool koen> you scorereseted
          9:Kim> UM
          9:Kim> i didn't
          9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
          9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
          9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
          9:pascone> lol?

Comment

i think my computer is wel protected; norton anti, firewall, go back, ghost.
            Making your mark on the world is hard. If it were easy, everybody would do it. But it's not. It takes patience, it takes commitment, and it comes with plenty of failure along the way. The real test is not whether you avoid this failure, because you won't. it's whether you let it harden or shame you into inaction, or whether you learn from it; whether you choose to persevere.:fear:

Comment

Well, how would a program like the Data migration software or Norton Ghost allow me to transfer the files from 1 harddrive to the other?

Comment

From what I know, this is only possible if you are capable of using two hard drives on your system or if you can network to the hard drive you want to make an image to. So it can be a huge pain :/

Comment

Hrm, Well the problem is, I'm running a laptop and it doesn't have that capability. I guess my best bet would to buy a large USB drive or an external HD since I can't run 2 HDs at once.

Comment

The external drives come in pretty big sizes, so I'm sure you can find what you need. I've seen them as large as 500GB. Kinda sucks to have to carry that around though...
                    -winipcfg

HAY GUYS

Comment

No kidding, they have some that are portable but they are generally about 2x the price as the regular external hds. Even still, I basically have to carry a brick around with my laptop, not the most plesant feeling in the world.

Comment

Working...
                      X