Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ever wondered what the statue of liberty would look like with a religious twist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ever wondered what the statue of liberty would look like with a religious twist?

Link for wording

"As drivers wait for a green light on Winchester Road, they automatically lean their heads forward to view the 72-foot sea-foam-green Statue of Liberation overlooking Hickory Hill.

The towering replica of the Statue of Liberty -- with a few Christian touches -- is being erected in front of the 12,000-member World Overcomers Outreach Ministries Church at Winchester and Kirby Parkway.

Replacing the recognizable torch, Lady Liberty holds a cross.

A beige sheet veils much of the $260,000 statue and will be removed during a Fourth of July ceremony.

Lady Liberty's uncovered eyes already peer down on the community. A tear falls from her right eye representing her concern for America.

Church members said the mixture of the statue and Christian symbols represent "America belonging to God through Jesus Christ."

The statue's famous inscription -- "Give me your tired, your poor ..." -- has been replaced with Roman numerals representing the Ten Commandments.

The seven-spiked crown that represents the seven seas of the world, has been changed to signify the seven redemptive names of Christ, according to church pastor Apostle Alton R. Williams.

Inscribed on the crown is the name Jehovah.

Workers are still assembling the Statue of Liberation for her Independence Day debut, but not all members of the community are happy.

"That church is trashing the meaning of America," said 11-year Hickory Hill resident Evelyn Douglass.

"The Statue of Liberty is a symbol of the United States of America," she said. "The cross represents a specific religion. It's not right that they are mixing the two."

Douglass now takes the long way home to avoid "the big green thing."

Across the street at Mapco Express, manager Mary Preyer awaits the final product.

"I like the idea of the Statue of Liberty holding a cross representing freedom through Jesus Christ," Preyer said. "I just think its funding could have been put to better use for the neighborhood. It's definitely got people talking."

Conversation is exactly what Williams hopes the statue will spark.

"People don't talk about Christ anymore and our morals are gone," Williams said. "People cannot drive by our statue without thinking about their relationship with God."
    just wanted to hear some views on this statue
    Reinstate Sarien
    ph> AND THEN ME AND THE PLOINKIES WILL HEAD DOWN TO THE LOCAL CRUFFER FOR TEA AND WONKETS

Hal Wilker> Need I look recall the statement? And Suh.. control ya ho

"no, it's Monday, which of course means it's ethnic day, so ill be going with Rosalita"

That would never happen in the UK, the local council would take it down and ban all christian symbols so they don't offend any other religions.

Comment

i've never wondered about this, believe it or not
      PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Comment

who is this jesus christ fellow
        dong burger

Comment

omg, the statue has long worm toes. that is nasty. what are we talking about?

ooooo, i luuuv you statue. i want to hug your worm foot. mmmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Superted
            That would never happen in the UK, the local council would take it down and ban all christian symbols so they don't offend any other religions.
            "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Superted
              With any luck
              Originally posted by Facetious
              edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

In related news, I'm putting the finishing touches on my 72-foot bronze statue of Jesus Christ holding an AK-47 while smoking an entire 5 pound bag of crack.

"That ConcreteSchlyrd is a man of the people," remarked local theologian Dave Stos.

"Few people know exactly what his kill count truly is," he said. "But we all know Jesus had a huge penchant for crack, killing, and killing for crack. That much is known."

"People don't talk about Christ and his relationship to kicking ass and being totally high on crack anymore," I've been known to say. "People cannot drive by my statue without thinking about their relationship with a religion that's doing anything in its power to keep itself in the public spotlight."
                Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

My point was directed at the local councils with their politcal correctness gone mad. Not at other religions.

Comment

I'll be the first to say: I don't get it.
                    Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
                    -Buddha

Comment

Originally posted by Sarien
                      You keel me, man.

Comment

in finland this thing called giving equal rights to minorities goes too far... in some schools muslim parents have taken legal acts against x-mas plays and in some schools they've actually abandoned them lol

i've also heard of minority college students complaining about not having some kinda mekka praying room

employers get extra money from gov if they hire minorities... :P

in army minority religions are allowed freedoms others don't have

and the best thing is that at work if you make a joke about christianity it's ok but if by accident happen to joke about middle east situation or muslim religion or anything like that you'll at least get a warning if not fired

i'm not religious but this damn supersensitivity is getting on my nerves
                        Originally posted by Diakka
                        Lets stop being lil bitches

Comment

Originally posted by Eeks
                          .............i'm not religious but this damn supersensitivity is getting on my nerves
                          Amen! B)

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd
                            In related news, I'm putting the finishing touches on my 72-foot bronze statue of Jesus Christ holding an AK-47 while smoking an entire 5 pound bag of crack.
                            Please, a 72-foot Jesus needs waaaaaay more than a 5 pound bag of crack.

Comment

It's a 500lb bag, but only 5 are left because Jesus believed in giving.
                              USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

Working...
                              X