Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please

Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Letter to the editor:

When I heard about ((SUSPECTED MURDERED)) being sought by the police, and what had allegedly happened, I felt sorrow for all the people involved. It's horrible to think about the circumstances that caused such a tragic series of events.

But when I read that Justice Minister ((NAME OF MINISTER)) went to ((COMMUNITY) to console the families of the wounded RCMP officers I felt sick. What's he doing out there? He's certainly not doing anything useful and has put any chance of a fair trial for ((SUSPECT)) in serious doubt.

Did ((MINISTER)) go to the aid of the families of any of the slain people here in ((OTHER COMMUNITY))? No. Did he go to the family of ((OTHER VICTIM)) or ((OTHER VICTIM)) or ((OTHER VICTIM))? No.

((MINISTER)) doesn't know any of these people in ((ORIGINAL COMMUNITY)) and should not make any assumptions before ((SUSPECT)) is arrested and has had a fair trial.

If he wants to do something useful on his weekends, perhaps he could investigate the shady ((REALLY OLD CONTROVERSY)), or maybe he could do something about the vast unemployment here in ((PROVINCE)). Maybe he can investigate his appointments of former ((POLITICAL PARTY)) cabinet minister ((EX MINISTERS NAME)) to the police complaints division -- a position he is unworthy of having after telling the Globe and Mail that he thought ((WRONGFULLY CONVICTED MURDERED)) killed ((VICTIM FROM MURDER VERY LONG TIME AGO)).

((MINISTER)) should not be getting involved in a case that has not yet been before the courts. It gives the illusion of guilt. If there is one thing we in ((PROVINCE)) should learn it's that our Justice Department is not fair, is often wrong and needs improvement.

((MINISTER)) has stepped over the line and should remove himself as justice minister or be removed.

My Response:

I respectfully disagree with ((ORIGINAL LETTER WRITTER))'s letter which was printed on Friday July 14. Visiting the families of our officers is hardly sickening to me, and I suspect it is not sickening to very many other ((PROVINCE)) people.

It strikes me as strange that he would include a jab at our currently booming economy in his letter, more specifically our unemployment rate. Any casual observer would have to concede that ((PROVINCE)) is having problems with population loss and seek to argue this reflects poorly on the state of our economy. I would disagree with such a casual observer but would have a slightly harder time coming up with refuting evidence. However it is a fact that the unemployment rate in this province is enviably low compared to other Canadian jurisdictions. In this case a quick visit to Statcan’s website is all the research that is required and readers can go ahead and check that on their own time.

Perhaps a more sophisticated argument would better serve our community next time he decides to talk about the economy. Furthermore, I would suggest that perhaps there was a political motive at work in parts of the commentary.

=====================================

Do I sound like too much of a jerk or fool?

I don't want to be "the asshole" or "the idiot"

Honest opinions please. Thanks.

Backround: A guy shot two RCMP officers about a week ago, they recently died. The Justice Minister visited the families. That's what he was talking about.
    Last edited by Spider; 07-16-2006, 04:07 PM.
    Spider
    Formerly EEK! A Spider!
    Former TW Moderator, still an all around nice guy

LOOKS GREAT, but i'm an american so my opinion doesn't count.
    1:Randedl> dude, if you ever spam out again during a game i'm benching you forever heh

5:Attila> then i sell windows vista and mac os's and stuff
    5:Attila> its good drinkin money :/
    5:crazi> u gonna be drinking cocks when they lock u up
    5:Crazy> cockmeat sandwiches
    5:Attila> :\
    5:crazi> dont forget the appetizer
    5:Crazy> jizz rag soup?
    5:crazi> Seasoned Grade A Meyer's Ranch 100% pure Cock with truffles and a light crab sauce
    5:Attila> u make it sound so yummy

Comment

Being American, I'm no expert on the Canadian legal system, but well, I kindof agree with the original letter that the Justice Minister had no business visiting families of the officers if he didn't personally know them. Position-wise, it really serves no purpose save for to create an air of suspicion about partiality.

However, I wholeheartedly agree with you that he completely left topic and provided an unsophisticated and perhaps political-agenda-motivated argument concerning it. I don't think you come of like an asshole or idiot in the least.

Does that answer what you were wondering?
      afksry

Comment

Absolutely helpful guys. Ignominy you answered exactly what I was asking and I think totally understood what I was saying even if you agree with the original guy that the Justice Minister should not have visited the families.
        Spider
        Formerly EEK! A Spider!

Comment

Don't do it, she's not worth it
          Originally posted by Facetious
          edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Did the Justice Minister visit the families while on the job, or on his own time?

If on his own time, nobody has any right to complain. The man should be allowed a personal life, after all.
            "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

I don't see what the problem with the Minister of Justice visiting the families of the slain RCMP officers. I don't see how this would impact the chances of a fair trial; the fact that the two victims were Mounties will already sway public opinion more than his visit. He didn't make any statements about the accused; he couldn't affect the seriousness of the charges. The Justice Minister's visit should have no greater effect than the Prime Minister's official statement of tribute to the two fallen officers. As for why the Minister visited these families and not families of other murder victims: these victims were police officers and technically under his direct jurisdiction.

As for your response, I think you also focused too much on the other political issues. If his letter seemed to care more about those issues than the Minister and the slain officers, your response seemed to care more about refuting his stance on those issues than on the issue at hand as well. Your response sounds equally politically motivated.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeUs!!
                Don't do it, she's not worth it
                LOL

i think spider is actually interested in politics tho
                USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

<3 Spider!

Comment

I can't understand it with the edits. =(
                    carpe diem

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                      As for your response, I think you also focused too much on the other political issues.
                      Agreed. I'd mention his going off topic, then make your point concerning the situation. Something like:

While I agree with (letter writer) he goes off topic in (such a way). He failed to point out... (continue on with what you think).

Or: (Letter writer) goes off topic as well as misses the point. The reality of the Justice Minister visiting is....(explain why it isn't relevant).

Comment

Oh man. Is it just me or is this:

If he wants to do something useful on his weekends, perhaps he could investigate the shady ((REALLY OLD CONTROVERSY)), or maybe he could do something about the vast unemployment here in ((PROVINCE)). Maybe he can investigate his appointments of former ((POLITICAL PARTY)) cabinet minister ((EX MINISTERS NAME)) to the police complaints division -- a position he is unworthy of having after telling the ((NEWSPAPER) that he thought ((WRONGFULLY CONVICTED MURDERER)) killed ((VICTIM FROM MURDER VERY LONG TIME AGO)).
                        an awesome form letter for character assaults on elected officials?
                        Originally posted by Ward
                        OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

While I haven't followed this case much at all personally I want my Government representatives in Ottawa focusing on real problems. I feel that the conservatives have since winning the 2005 elections spent too much time exerting some form of execuitive/majority authority trying to entrench themselves and making publicity stunts while being on the job more then the liberals in a minority government. The sad thing is all this policial bullshit is helping them and lowering politics in this country in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                            I don't see what the problem with the Minister of Justice visiting the families of the slain RCMP officers. I don't see how this would impact the chances of a fair trial; the fact that the two victims were Mounties will already sway public opinion more than his visit. He didn't make any statements about the accused; he couldn't affect the seriousness of the charges. The Justice Minister's visit should have no greater effect than the Prime Minister's official statement of tribute to the two fallen officers. As for why the Minister visited these families and not families of other murder victims: these victims were police officers and technically under his direct jurisdiction.

As for your response, I think you also focused too much on the other political issues. If his letter seemed to care more about those issues than the Minister and the slain officers, your response seemed to care more about refuting his stance on those issues than on the issue at hand as well. Your response sounds equally politically motivated.
                            I decided not to mail it in, in the end. Though, after a little more thought getting upset that the Minister visited the families makes less and less sense. They died as a result of being shot. Clearly someone murdered them. The Minister would simply reinforce this fact, not influence in any way the selection of the offender. He didn't visit a potential offenders house and say "you did it!"....

Anyway, yes, basically the entire point of my response was to point out the original guy has zero creditability based on the totally unnecessary ranting on other subjects he is clearly just a Sask Party supporter. Or, should I say <<EVIL POLITICAL PARTY>> supporter. Specifically defending the Justice Minister was not the point of my letter that I never sent. I don't think he needed defending.

I was trying to say "Look, clearly this dude doesn't care about the Minister, visiting the families, or the victims. He is a partisan mofo (based on all the other opinions he laid out) and was just waiting for what he saw as a "smoking gun" before sending off a obscenely incoherent letter to the editor of my local daily newspaper." A great many of my friends and neighbors probably accidentally read it. Then I attacked his least creditable and most easily disproven argument. The percentage of people unemployed in Saskatchewan is not a matter of debate thanks to the great work of the people at Statistics Canada. He claimed it was high. The fact that it is not high is not a values judgement, it's a fact.

I never ever claim not to be partisan myself. For people even remotely "in the know" my "ED!" icon under my name totally gives away my political affiliation, as do my campaign signs and buttons.

Anyway, thanks again for the input!
                            Spider
                            Formerly EEK! A Spider!

Comment

Working...
                            X