No announcement yet.

Which book should i read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoa, I just noticed this was for AP US Gov't.

You are one lucky sonofabitch, when I took that class we had to read the Federalist Papers. That shit sucked.
    Originally posted by Jeenyuss
    sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Parliament of Whores ~ O'Rourke, P.J.

O'Rourke work is definately worth reading as well as amusing.

I am amazed that Bill O'Reilly is on that list of writers...what a lying asswipe and plagorist he is.

Yet Al Franken was not on that list...hmmm
      May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

I gave up on Stupid White Men because it just turned into one massive fucking moan. Pick #33 on your list and read that, whatever it is
        Originally posted by Facetious
        edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Originally posted by DoTheFandango
          I get to read The Godfather.

Yeah, I love Senior Year,
          I registered for American Lit. up at the U, and my reading list came today.

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eulendes
          The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

I shit you not.
          Originally posted by Tone
          Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Must be a course on Travesties of Current American Literature. I've been an English major for three years and haven't heard a word about Dan Brown novels in class outside of passing quips at his writing's expense.

Comment

Originally posted by genocidal
              Must be a course on Travesties of Current American Literature. I've been an English major for three years and haven't heard a word about Dan Brown novels in class outside of passing quips at his writing's expense.
              there's an old saying: Until you can top it, do not mock it.

I would love to see you write a book that engaging, much less sell as many copies as it has.
              Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Originally posted by 404 Not Found
                Parliament of Whores ~ O'Rourke, P.J.

O'Rourke work is definately worth reading as well as amusing.

Yet Al Franken was not on that list...hmmm

I agree and thought of both these things as I read that list.

Pretty much anything by P.J. O'Rourke is a good read, especially when you compare it to the rest of that stuff.

Originally posted by Wikipedia
                An early proponent of gonzo journalism, O'Rourke's nascent master-work in the genre was a National Lampoon article, appearing in March of 1979 "How to Drive Fast on Drugs While Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink."

Originally posted by P.J. O'Rourke
                "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

"Drugs have taught an entire generation of American kids the metric system."

"There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Mercedes-Benz 450SL."
                "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Squeezer
                  there's an old saying: Until you can top it, do not mock it.

I would love to see you write a book that engaging, much less sell as many copies as it has.
                  i am writing a book, and once i am rolling in a benz, i will indee mock it

i, too, am an english major, and agree - yeah, it's a good story, but not good literature.
                  NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

The book, as far as I can figure, is just an easy read... therefore any shitbag who has a basic grasp of the English language can read it and not be forced to actually THINK at all. Americans eat that kind of shit up with a spoon.

Jerome's right--it's a good story, it's NOT good literature.
                    Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

I actually haven't read it and don't plan to. I wasn't saying he's not a good storyteller as many people have told me that it's a very good story (not to mention the people here). Nevertheless, I have heard nothing good about the writing and that's pretty much what literature courses are about, not telling stories. As for topping it, I give it 15 years when I plan on publishing my fake memoir about my alcohol and MTV addiction. Throw in some rapists, clerics, and girls that wear pants then slap a bestseller on my shit and get off me.

EDIT: In all seriousness though, what is the course title/description?

EDIT 2: And if you live by your old sayings then being an English major probably isn't for you. It's all about knocking what you haven't topped.
                      Last edited by genocidal; 08-01-2006, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd
                        The book, as far as I can figure, is just an easy read... therefore any shitbag who has a basic grasp of the English language can read it and not be forced to actually THINK at all. Americans eat that kind of shit up with a spoon.

Jerome's right--it's a good story, it's NOT good literature.
                        To be honest, I think the professor had those books assigned to us because they are easy and recognizable reads. Well, and those books are popular, and he may have had low numbers in his class.

Anyway, you can't just jump into Voltaire or Dante on the first day.

Comment

gen, if that question was to me, i said its AP Gov

second, I dont think that it was entirely shit on literature by dan brown. Infact it was a good literary technique to entrap his audience by saying FACT in the first page, but just blast you with fiction. It is called Faction that keeps you interested in reading because you might not be sure if half the stuff he says might be true or not.
                          sigpic
                          All good things must come to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by Squeezer
                            To be honest, I think the professor had those books assigned to us because they are easy and recognizable reads. Well, and those books are popular, and he may have had low numbers in his class.

Anyway, you can't just jump into Voltaire or Dante on the first day.
                            While Voltaire isn't exactly children's literature, he's not that difficult to pick up.
                            5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                            5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                            5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

you can read it or use it for fire wood either way you're getting your moneys worth for something you'll find in a 99 cent bin.
                              it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

I'm still working my way through it.

You might want to check this one out

it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Working...
                                X