A few films I have seen recently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few films I have seen recently

1) Dr. Strangelove - had already seen it before but I love every chance I get to watch this. Best comedy ever.

2) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - dissappointing. I read the book a couple years ago and loved it but the movie seems to always fall short. They largely ignore the Indian (and I'm not sure how they could have put his narrative voice into film but they could have tried) until the end when he runs away. That scene doesn't carry the weight like it does in the book because you never see how insane and paranoid the Indian is. The filmmakers try to cram it all into a 45 second monologue when he almost verbatim from the book talks about his father being a drunk. It just doesn't do justice to one of my favourite narrators.

Also, Jack Nicholson is great but he's not crazy in the book. Nicholson is just crazy, all his roles he plays a crazy person. He's a good actor so it's always pulled off but he rarely does the character justice (see The Shining, the movie is about a guy going crazy, not being from the start). They don't make him seem like a complete loony but he still is crazier than he was in the book. In the book I saw him as just a regular eccentric redneck that likes to "fuck and fight". Meh, maybe it was just the red hair that made the difference. Meh, overall he was pretty good I guess.

The other characters were very well done though, especially Billy.

3) Bully - I liked it. A lot of seemingly unnecessary sex and nudity, even moreso than Kids, but nevertheless a gripping story. I was glad Telly was in it. Has anyone here seen Ken Park? I'm thinking about giving it a run-through but I've heard mixed things about it.
Working...
X