This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, thats amazing, way to go ewan!

i hope the rest of staff reads up on this, because im sure they get alot of help calls on it.

this might even help with my duplicate public messages problem...

using windows 2000, i guess ill have to disable the feature in the manufactures software.

Thanks Ewan!
    6:Screamo> this sub is making my leg twitch
    6:LMAO> subway is kinda shady nowdays
    6:Screamo> err
    6:Screamo> subwoofer*

1:Krazie <ER>> crap
    1:Krazie <ER>> i get one less hour of sleep
    1:Krazie <ER>> freaking DST
    1:bioture> at least my car clock will finally be correct

(ignite)>There is a new currency on the market, the IGNITE

Comment

um upgrade to xp plz thx

Comment

Okay, it didn't change anything. I was very optimistic though. Here's to waiting for 2k9 when TV airwaves will be phased out for TV and used for telecommunications :3

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan View Post
          I'm posting it here, as it's not really a post asking for help, more dishing it out. Also, like me, the people who this is aimed at probably passed the problem off as natural wireless lag, and so wouldn't bother looking for a fix in the ?help forum.

While at University, I use wireless to connect to the internet. Every now and again, it cuts me off for a couple of seconds which means I cannot play TWJD, TWDD and sometimes TWBD 50/50 whether I lagout). This happens in any online games and I assumed it was just the way wireless is and grew to accept it.

While playing Counter-Strike yesterday I decided to time the interval between the spikes, and it turned out they happened every 60 seconds. A bit of googling led me to realise it's actually a Windows issue. Stupidly, Windows automatically searches for new wireless networks every 60 seconds, causing these lag spikes. I've disabled it on my computer, and I am at 0.1 0.1 ploss instead of the 1.5 0.1 I'd be at before. Also, playing Counter-Strike for a few hours yesterday I experienced one single lag spike, instead of one every minute.

How to disable in XP:
          One way around it is to use the third party wireless management software that came with your card, this isn't that ideal though as they tend to be pretty crap.
          If you want to stick with the windows software:
          It's simply a case of disabling the Wireless Zero Configuration service while you're playing. To do this, start menu -> run type in services.msc, find Wireless Zero Configuration, right click and select "Stop".
          Your wireless connection will remain connected while the service is stopped. If it disconnects (say you reboot your router w/e), you will not be able to reconnect until you restart the service.

How to disable in Vista
          The WZC service is tacked in with the other wireless stuff in Vista, so you can't get around it by using the 3rd party software that came with your wireless card.
          Instead, use this file. Use the "Auto Off.bat" to disable the wireless config. And the "Auto On.bat" to turn it back on again. REMEMBER to turn it back on before turning your computer off, otherwise it won't connect to a wireless network next time you boot until you turn it on. You will have to run both .bat files as Administrator. Also, if you want to see what's inside them, simply right click -> edit. This is for all you paranoid of malicious code ;P.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Some people are stupid and wouldn't think to try the run thing. Also, stickied.- Face
          just wanted to thank you for this site, i went to it and got it after you posted it....it is nice, there is a HUGE difference....only i forgot to turn it back on before i turned my computer off, and when i got back on i was freaking out because i didint know what was wrong until i remember what you had said about that....lol, thanks
          INSERT COOL SAYING OR QUOTE HERE

Thats right....i can..

▲▲

Comment

What is perhaps a posibility is to create a batch file that
            - shuts down the wireless search
            - start continuum
            - starts the wireless search

safe the batch in continuum directory

create a shortcut of continuum and replace this one with the one on your desktop. (and use the same continuum icon for it)

Done!
            You can call yourself a programmer now

Comment

Seal, you don't want to start the wireless search until Continuum has closed, do I don't really get how your batch file would work.
              USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
              ---A few minutes later---
              9:cool koen> you scorereseted
              9:Kim> UM
              9:Kim> i didn't
              9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
              9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
              9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
              9:pascone> lol?

Comment

re

ewan, im the head computer so i use direct from modem but when i have my wireless router on, it keeps dcing me every 5 minutes and i keep having to restart my wireless router, but when i do not have my router plugged in and just use it straight from the modem, I am fine. Any help in this department?
                TWLJ SEASON 12 CHAMPION
                TWLD SEASON 12 CHAMPION
                KISS MY RINGS

1:Eelam> http://i31.tinypic.com/2vjskt2.jpg
                1:Eelam> 3:TagMor> meh, i get girls regardless
                1:Eelam> ROFLMAO

Comment

I'm considering getting a wireless ethernet bridge for my Vista box to handle the problem and rid myself of batch files. Anyone have any experience with bridges?
                  Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

there is a nice guide about windows XP services that can be shut down. it save some resources and annoying stuff. I do it every time I install a fresh windows after a format.

do some check about windows xp services in google and twick it a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan View Post
                      I'm posting it here, as it's not really a post asking for help, more dishing it out. Also, like me, the people who this is aimed at probably passed the problem off as natural wireless lag, and so wouldn't bother looking for a fix in the ?help forum.

While at University, I use wireless to connect to the internet. Every now and again, it cuts me off for a couple of seconds which means I cannot play TWJD, TWDD and sometimes TWBD 50/50 whether I lagout). This happens in any online games and I assumed it was just the way wireless is and grew to accept it.

While playing Counter-Strike yesterday I decided to time the interval between the spikes, and it turned out they happened every 60 seconds. A bit of googling led me to realise it's actually a Windows issue. Stupidly, Windows automatically searches for new wireless networks every 60 seconds, causing these lag spikes. I've disabled it on my computer, and I am at 0.1 0.1 ploss instead of the 1.5 0.1 I'd be at before. Also, playing Counter-Strike for a few hours yesterday I experienced one single lag spike, instead of one every minute.

How to disable in XP:
                      One way around it is to use the third party wireless management software that came with your card, this isn't that ideal though as they tend to be pretty crap.
                      If you want to stick with the windows software:
                      It's simply a case of disabling the Wireless Zero Configuration service while you're playing. To do this, start menu -> run type in services.msc, find Wireless Zero Configuration, right click and select "Stop".
                      Your wireless connection will remain connected while the service is stopped. If it disconnects (say you reboot your router w/e), you will not be able to reconnect until you restart the service.

How to disable in Vista
                      The WZC service is tacked in with the other wireless stuff in Vista, so you can't get around it by using the 3rd party software that came with your wireless card.
                      Instead, use this file. Use the "Auto Off.bat" to disable the wireless config. And the "Auto On.bat" to turn it back on again. REMEMBER to turn it back on before turning your computer off, otherwise it won't connect to a wireless network next time you boot until you turn it on. You will have to run both .bat files as Administrator. Also, if you want to see what's inside them, simply right click -> edit. This is for all you paranoid of malicious code ;P.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Some people are stupid and wouldn't think to try the run thing. Also, stickied.- Face
                      the link isnt working for me, its just taking me to the filefront homepage.:crying:

Comment

google it

Comment

Originally posted by Saturn V View Post
                          I'm considering getting a wireless ethernet bridge for my Vista box to handle the problem and rid myself of batch files. Anyone have any experience with bridges?
                          macinac

Comment

Vista user's use this file. Use the "Auto Off.bat" to disable the wireless config. and auto_on.bat to enable. but since this link no longer exists im showing how to make it your self.
                            Step one: open notepad, not wordpad or microsoft word.

Step two:copy and paste the following,
                            @ECHO Off
                            ECHO.********************
                            ECHO Carburetor is God =]
                            netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="wireless network connection"
                            ECHO.
                            ECHO.Yeah, i Pwn =]
                            ECHO.
                            PAUSE
                            CLS
                            EXIT

Step Three: save as Auto_On.bat make sure the extension is not .txt do this by changing the "save type" to all types.
                            CONGRATS. you made your first batch file.

Step four:after saving the first one and trying it to make sure it works, right click the the file and change enabled=yes to enabled=no, then resave it as Auto_Off.bat
                            CONGRATS. you made your second batch file.

if it does not work, it is most likely that your UAC is activated, theirs two ways by this, one:disableing it by going to start>control panel>user account>turn user account control on or off.
                            second way is by using a "runas" command in the batch which is near impossible unless u want to download programming tools but might be possible if u dont have a password, if u want to solve it this way and need help, ask me and ill see what i can do, but i choose to disable my UAC.
                            another reason this wouldnt work is if your not signed on as administrator.

Also another problem might be you changed the name of the wireless network connection, if this is the case just simply, input the correct name, if u need help to find it, i found it by opening command prompt and typing "netsh" then "wlan set autoconfig" it should be set as the example. if not then ill find a solution.

If you need any help either ask me in game or reply, ill help you as soon as possible.:grin:
                            Last edited by Carburetor; 11-05-2008, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carburetor View Post
                              Vista user's use this file. Use the "Auto Off.bat" to disable the wireless config. and auto_on.bat to enable. but since this link no longer exists im showing how to make it your self.
                              Step one: open notepad, not wordpad or microsoft word.

Step two:copy and paste the following,
                              @ECHO Off
                              ECHO Carburetor is God =]
                              netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="wireless network connection"
                              ECHO.
                              ECHO.Yeah, i Pwn =]
                              ECHO.
                              PAUSE
                              CLS
                              EXIT

Step Three: save as Auto_On.bat make sure the extension is not .txt do this by changing the "save type" to all types.
                              CONGRATS. you made your first batch file.

Step four:after saving the first one and trying it to make sure it works, right click the the file and change enabled=yes to enabled=no, then resave it as Auto_Off.bat
                              CONGRATS. you made your second batch file.

if it does not work, it is most likely that your UAC is activated, theirs two ways by this, one:disableing it by going to start>control panel>user account>turn user account control on or off.
                              second way is by using a "runas" command in the batch which is near impossible unless u want to download programming tools but might be possible if u dont have a password, if u want to solve it this way and need help, ask me and ill see what i can do, but i choose to disable my UAC.
                              another reason this wouldnt work is if your not signed on as administrator.

Also another problem might be you changed the name of the wireless network connection, if this is the case just simply, input the correct name, if u need help to find it, i found it by opening command prompt and typing "netsh" then "wlan set autoconfig" it should be set as the example. if not then ill find a solution.

If you need any help either ask me in game or reply, ill help you as soon as possible.:grin:
                              Who are you and where did you come from? Just being curious B)
                              Erathia> IF YOU SPIDERS CONTINUE CAMPING I WILL BAN YOU AND CALL IT RACISM

SeRtIfi> What's the point of going out with friends everyday just to hang out when I meet them in school and sometimes on weekends anyways, if I can play in SubSpace with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Spikester View Post
                                Who are you and where did you come from? Just being curious B)
                                just a good samartian wanting to help people out so the eating my damn bombs in javs. :fear:
                                did i do something wrong?

Comment

Working...
                                X