Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use wireless? READ THIS

Use wireless? READ THIS

I'm posting it here, as it's not really a post asking for help, more dishing it out. Also, like me, the people who this is aimed at probably passed the problem off as natural wireless lag, and so wouldn't bother looking for a fix in the ?help forum.

While at University, I use wireless to connect to the internet. Every now and again, it cuts me off for a couple of seconds which means I cannot play TWJD, TWDD and sometimes TWBD 50/50 whether I lagout). This happens in any online games and I assumed it was just the way wireless is and grew to accept it.

While playing Counter-Strike yesterday I decided to time the interval between the spikes, and it turned out they happened every 60 seconds. A bit of googling led me to realise it's actually a Windows issue. Stupidly, Windows automatically searches for new wireless networks every 60 seconds, causing these lag spikes. I've disabled it on my computer, and I am at 0.1 0.1 ploss instead of the 1.5 0.1 I'd be at before. Also, playing Counter-Strike for a few hours yesterday I experienced one single lag spike, instead of one every minute.

How to disable in XP:
    One way around it is to use the third party wireless management software that came with your card, this isn't that ideal though as they tend to be pretty crap.
    If you want to stick with the windows software:
    It's simply a case of disabling the Wireless Zero Configuration service while you're playing. To do this, start menu -> run type in services.msc, find Wireless Zero Configuration, right click and select "Stop".
    Your wireless connection will remain connected while the service is stopped. If it disconnects (say you reboot your router w/e), you will not be able to reconnect until you restart the service.

How to disable in Vista
    The WZC service is tacked in with the other wireless stuff in Vista, so you can't get around it by using the 3rd party software that came with your wireless card.
    Instead, use this file. Use the "Auto Off.bat" to disable the wireless config. And the "Auto On.bat" to turn it back on again. REMEMBER to turn it back on before turning your computer off, otherwise it won't connect to a wireless network next time you boot until you turn it on. You will have to run both .bat files as Administrator. Also, if you want to see what's inside them, simply right click -> edit. This is for all you paranoid of malicious code ;P.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Some people are stupid and wouldn't think to try the run thing. Also, stickied.- Face
    Last edited by Facetious; 06-13-2007 at 05:04 PM.

That sounds exactly like what happens on one of my computers (the one not connected to the router) in my house. I haven't timed the spikes, but I'm pretty sure they happen every 60 seconds.

I use Vista, so this should be a huge help. Thanks a lot Ewan, appreciate it.
    chief

Syndicate- TWLJ Champions Season 9

Dice- TWLB Champions Season 10, 11, 13

Mootland Farmer

i used to have a wireless, which gave me around 3.1% s2c

Stopping the wireless zero configuration dropped my ploss sooo much. but the only problem was when i disconnected, i had to "start" it again, reconnect, then stop it again. it kinda got annoying :P

Old School Brainwave ftw! DJSlayer's Avatar
    Wow ... I had no idea, gonna try this now and see if it works, thanks Ewan :P

EDIT: It worked :P Sweet
    Last edited by DJSlayer; 06-13-2007 at 12:13 PM.
    9:Basti> any1 want pw for squad BlowJob?
    9:Inaphyt> no basti i want you to give me the password to your room so you can give me a blowjob
    9:Basti> sure
    9:Basti> we can take a basing duel in my bed
    9:Inaphyt> hahahaha
    9:Basti> i'll score
    9:Basti> i'll ride my ship into ur cram
    9:Basti> and take the flag
    9:Inaphyt> ROFL
    9:Basti> and finally lay a mine there

I can haz cheezburger? bubbles19518's Avatar
    This should be Sticky or announcement or something.. Make it stay at the top.

Great read.
    -Bubbles
    Phillie> lag isnt skill btw F-35
    Kthx> yes it is, newbie.

thanks ewan!

row away from the rocks Zerzera's Avatar
    I know a program where you can time your spikes, it works a lot better and you won't be put in spec. I recommend this over the windows version. It's especially handy in situations where you find yourself low on energy.
    You ate some priest porridge

it's called a bat file with a few lines of ping

Quote Originally Posted by Zerzera View Post
    I know a program where you can time your spikes, it works a lot better and you won't be put in spec. I recommend this over the windows version. It's especially handy in situations where you find yourself low on energy.
    Explain what you mean by "time your spikes"?
    The method I posted rids of them completely, so I don't see how your "program" could work any better...

Hahahaha
    I don't think you understand...
    duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Quote Originally Posted by project dragon View Post
    Hahahaha
    I don't think you understand...
    Yeah I realise now, I thought he was actually trying to be serious/helpful.

He's just another pathetic cheater.

<insert mac comment here>

Yay! nao i can play tourny!!!!

This is wonderful. I thought I had everything disabled to possibly fix my wireless adapters from dcing every once in a while on our laptops, but over the last two years... every now and then (at least once a day) we have to go through the Linksys setup to reconnect, and sometimes even have to reboot entirely.

So far so good having done this, I just hopes it stops it completely... but as you said, I always just took it as 'well this is just how this stuff works, whatever.'
    Death Rides a Horse

wow, thats amazing, way to go ewan!

i hope the rest of staff reads up on this, because im sure they get alot of help calls on it.

this might even help with my duplicate public messages problem...

using windows 2000, i guess ill have to disable the feature in the manufactures software.

Thanks Ewan!
    6:Screamo> this sub is making my leg twitch
    6:LMAO> subway is kinda shady nowdays
    6:Screamo> err
    6:Screamo> subwoofer*

1:Krazie <ER>> crap
    1:Krazie <ER>> i get one less hour of sleep
    1:Krazie <ER>> freaking DST
    1:bioture> at least my car clock will finally be correct

(ignite)>There is a new currency on the market, the IGNITE

um upgrade to xp plz thx

Okay, it didn't change anything. I was very optimistic though. Here's to waiting for 2k9 when TV airwaves will be phased out for TV and used for telecommunications :3
    Death Rides a Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
    I'm posting it here, as it's not really a post asking for help, more dishing it out. Also, like me, the people who this is aimed at probably passed the problem off as natural wireless lag, and so wouldn't bother looking for a fix in the ?help forum.

While at University, I use wireless to connect to the internet. Every now and again, it cuts me off for a couple of seconds which means I cannot play TWJD, TWDD and sometimes TWBD 50/50 whether I lagout). This happens in any online games and I assumed it was just the way wireless is and grew to accept it.

While playing Counter-Strike yesterday I decided to time the interval between the spikes, and it turned out they happened every 60 seconds. A bit of googling led me to realise it's actually a Windows issue. Stupidly, Windows automatically searches for new wireless networks every 60 seconds, causing these lag spikes. I've disabled it on my computer, and I am at 0.1 0.1 ploss instead of the 1.5 0.1 I'd be at before. Also, playing Counter-Strike for a few hours yesterday I experienced one single lag spike, instead of one every minute.

How to disable in XP:
    One way around it is to use the third party wireless management software that came with your card, this isn't that ideal though as they tend to be pretty crap.
    If you want to stick with the windows software:
    It's simply a case of disabling the Wireless Zero Configuration service while you're playing. To do this, start menu -> run type in services.msc, find Wireless Zero Configuration, right click and select "Stop".
    Your wireless connection will remain connected while the service is stopped. If it disconnects (say you reboot your router w/e), you will not be able to reconnect until you restart the service.

How to disable in Vista
    The WZC service is tacked in with the other wireless stuff in Vista, so you can't get around it by using the 3rd party software that came with your wireless card.
    Instead, use this file. Use the "Auto Off.bat" to disable the wireless config. And the "Auto On.bat" to turn it back on again. REMEMBER to turn it back on before turning your computer off, otherwise it won't connect to a wireless network next time you boot until you turn it on. You will have to run both .bat files as Administrator. Also, if you want to see what's inside them, simply right click -> edit. This is for all you paranoid of malicious code ;P.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Some people are stupid and wouldn't think to try the run thing. Also, stickied.- Face
    just wanted to thank you for this site, i went to it and got it after you posted it....it is nice, there is a HUGE difference....only i forgot to turn it back on before i turned my computer off, and when i got back on i was freaking out because i didint know what was wrong until i remember what you had said about that....lol, thanks
    INSERT COOL SAYING OR QUOTE HERE

Thats right....i can..

▲▲

What is perhaps a posibility is to create a batch file that
    - shuts down the wireless search
    - start continuum
    - starts the wireless search

safe the batch in continuum directory

create a shortcut of continuum and replace this one with the one on your desktop. (and use the same continuum icon for it)

Done!
    You can call yourself a programmer now