Major decrease in event hosting quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major decrease in event hosting quality

Since this new system was introduced and a tonne of newer staff were brought in the quality of event hosting has dropped significantly; continual mistakes by the hosts and general clumsiness. You may say this is due to alot of inexperience for these new staff members, but when I was ZH for a short stint my hosting quality was never as bad as I've seen of a lot of events recently (and I hosted about 15 games max). From my position, higher staff needs to re-train these people or not give the spots away so lightly.
    Only a suggestion.
    TWL-J Season 11 Champion
    TWL-J Season 21 Champion
    TWL-B Season 21 Champion
    TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
    TWDT-D 2017 Champion
    TWDT-J 2017 Champion

You should give some kind of an example, even if you're not going to name names, so that people have a clue what you're talking about. Saying that hosting quality has gone downhill is one thing, but being able to point to exactly what the problems are makes them much easier to resolve.
    Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
    Message has been sent to online moderators
    2:BLeeN> veh yes
    (Overstrand)>no
    2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
    2:BLeeN> ok then no
    :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
    (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

true story, some of these ERs are idiots

Comment

i just wish they had the ability to host the events i like
        .fffffffff_____
        .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
        .ffffff|ff __fffff|
        .fffffff\______/
        .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
        .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
        .fffff\________/
        .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
        .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
        .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
        .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
        .fff\__________/

Comment

You think your time as <ZH> signified a time of better hosting quality? lol
          I think you'd have to look back to about 2006 before things really started to go downhill and unchecked more or less. The problem nowadays is that events are hosted in a very linear fashion without much thought of integrating ideas together in arenas in order to maximize the fun!

No, I'm afraid your time as <ZH> did not represent a time of better hosting quality.
          ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
          Failure teaches success.
          . â–²
          ▲ ▲

Comment

I was wondering, with Aquatiq being the Head of Staff training and whatnot, does she have her own set of people helping her? I'm sure there are alot of older guys that are lazy host-wise but wouldn't mind training people 1v1 to improve the hosting quality.

I don't really play events at all, other than the occasional ww3, zombies, enigma, gatez, and tournaments/deathmatches. So I couldn't honestly give a great opinion of hosting quality. I just noticed Aquatiq, on the staff list at least, is the only person concentrated solely on staff training. It seems weird to me, considering how many new staff members there are. Of course I don't know how things work on the inside, I suppose everyone could lend a hand when they can. Just a thought, maybe some old staffers who were bored of hosting could be placed directly with Aquatiq to help train?
            Last edited by Capital Knockers; 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM.
            7:Knockers> how'd you do it Paul?
            7:Knockers> sex? money? power?
            7:PaulOakenfold> *puts on sunglasses* *flies away*

1:vys> I EVEN TOLD MY MUM I WON A PIZZA

7:Knockers> the suns not yellow, its chicken
            7:Salu> that's drug addict talk if i ever saw it

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"
            1:chuckle> ive watched the video twice now

Comment

staff makin loads of errors during hosted events they needa prac this stuff before they host it, its as if they are learning it while their hosting :P
              1:CrazyKillah> oder if i olny knew u irl u would be dead and i would be in jail

menomena> did you get to see the end of the steelers greenbay game though
              JAMAL> yeah you dumb fat faggot, was good ending

1:Cape> Why did u axe req
              1:cripple> I'm very religious, and my new years revolution was to make this squad a better one, so I kept with my resolution and axed req.
              http://big-dicked.mybrute.com/

Comment

Now i'm not going to pretend i am the best host ever, neither are all of my events without the occasional fuckup. But I have these points I would like to make to our newer hosts.

I'm not saying i get this right always but this is what you should be aiming for.
                1. Preparation is half the battle. Have your shit worked out before you zone the event.
                  That means bot is ready and loaded with all the stuff you want as much as possible, you have macros worked out.
                2. Spelling & Grammer. Make sure what you are writing makes sence and looks tidy. I'm not a good speller but by using correct capitalisation and grammer, my spelling mistakes will most of the time get overlooked.
                  Try to use English and not txt speach. Ensure after anything you say in green where you are speaking you add -%selfname
                3. Start basic.
                  Alot of new hosts seem to try host some of the more difficult events before they've got the basics correct.
                4. Clear explaination of event rules.
                  Explain the event clearly and make sure everyone understands.
                  Not every will know how to play even if its a popular event.
                5. Monitor the event. Don't go AFK half way though.
                6. You fuck up... don't panic...just restart the event if necessery, if its not really gonna make a difference to the event (you stick the levi in the wrong tube in ?go guess for example) ...don't stress out about it.
                7. Know the event you are hosting offer good tips to newbies to help them enjoy it.
                8. One new thing per event.
                  Only test out 1 new thing on a host at a time. Less room for something to go wrong (this include fancy twscript stuff). Even better is to test a new idea in the one of rounds of the host
                9. Test new events privatly before even thinking about a zone host, goes without saying.
                10. Be Freaking Original. make the event your own in some way not use some generic version of it.
                Last edited by Doc Flabby; 09-17-2008, 05:32 AM.
                Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

I disagree with this

its pretty much the same level it's been at the last year or 2. Yes the hosts are making mistakes and rash stupid decisions but i've been seeing that from when they where appointing them as well.

And even before that i remember staff abusing - as in advertising one thing then 1/2 through a game changing it etc ... from radoming everyone super or playing with teams that differ in size and number according to how many of their friends show up ... was really killing events.

people need to be more responsible and remember that being a host is about the fun for the greater good not your own personal fun . . .

there could be a lot better variety of events hosted and less "lets play hunt in an arena <x> that will put a new spin on it" . . . seems i'm playing hunt or some other crap more that a good old d.m.

also why not more simple but fun things like a kill race , conquer or simple basing map
                  In my world,
                  I am King

sigpic

Comment

kim - i didnt mean when I was ZH the hosting quality was better I meant in the few events I hosted I made alot less mistakes than the ERs keep making in the same events now (not saying I was great or anything).
                    The hosts lately keep starting events within 1 minute of their advert and the events last minimum time so they can have their staff stats looking nice and full.
                    An example of bad hosting: Shadowmere was hosting a deathmatch and decided to help one of the female players he fancies (forgot her name) so he protects her by getting in the game and flying around her and prizing himself super so he kills the event so he can get some cyber. Terrible.
                    TWL-J Season 11 Champion
                    TWL-J Season 21 Champion
                    TWL-B Season 21 Champion
                    TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
                    TWDT-D 2017 Champion
                    TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

Honestly? I've messed up sometimes, not all that much. I've definitely improved but by how things are being managed, I feel like I'm on my own.

I'm speaking for most of the ERs, we're learning this stuff on our own. I think the public should possibly have respect for this fact, but at the same time we will continue to do our best not to screw up our macros, and I've been trying very hard to be original and maintain interest throughout the event with various arena messages, polls, just to keep the interactivity and dynamics of the game up.

Management of the ERs is something I also believe should be worked on, but honestly I'm not worried, I think we'll get there. OMG and SpaceHiker are good ER Deans, so whenever there are problems, I have full confidence that these individuals will face up to them without fear.

I think it's also important to mention that new ERs including myself (possibly some bad recruits, not naming names) aren't trained well enough to know what their limits are, or what they can be flexible with, as these can be the key to original and high standard events. I think I'm fine now, with all of my training so far to try some new things without messing up the event.

If you don't mind, just approach ERs with your issues, and if you feel it is necessary, approach the ER Deans with concerns you have also, and they'll be sure to correct it also.
                      (Twerp and Duel Pasta)
                      5:dads revenge> they are both actually my virtual pet salamanders I have to feed them virtual flies 3 times a day

1: Pandagirl!> What do I say back to that
                      1: Pandagirl!> How about "lol"
                      1: winipcfg> despite "lol"'s versatility, I don't think that'd be good in the situation

If you can't beat them, eat them. ?go zombies3 - Chao <ER>

Ricko> mvp gets poppadums from weak's corner shop

Comment

sooo
                        make me an <ER>?
                        my grammar iis good...
                        Making your mark on the world is hard. If it were easy, everybody would do it. But it's not. It takes patience, it takes commitment, and it comes with plenty of failure along the way. The real test is not whether you avoid this failure, because you won't. it's whether you let it harden or shame you into inaction, or whether you learn from it; whether you choose to persevere.:fear:

Comment

could be worse, could be like Tres <ER> playing zombies in heist (which is a horrible zombie map due to the fact it 1) isn't finished 2) has bad spider settings) and giving zombies thors and full charges. Never mind allowing people to go around spec hunting and not warning or banning them for it. If you advertise zombies and i come to find out its super zombies, why would i stick around to the end?
                          (RoboHelp)>This message has been sent by Left_Eye:
                          (RoboHelp)>TW Staff are looking for players who play regulary and are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and who
                          (RoboHelp)>show a desire to improving the zone. If you are interested in joining TW Staff, e-mail
                          (RoboHelp)>TWStaff@gmail.com
                          (RoboHelp)>If you have any other questions regarding this issue, please use :Left_Eye:<Message>.

Comment

Originally posted by Heroin Bob View Post
                            could be worse, could be like Tres <ER> playing zombies in heist (which is a horrible zombie map due to the fact it 1) isn't finished 2) has bad spider settings) and giving zombies thors and full charges. Never mind allowing people to go around spec hunting and not warning or banning them for it. If you advertise zombies and i come to find out its super zombies, why would i stick around to the end?
                            I like it better that the map is unfinished because there are less houses to hide in, which makes it more challenging to survive. The normal ship settings on a typical zombies map get boring after a while, so it's fun to use the default TW ship settings instead. I'm pretty sure Tres would never prize zombies thors, and if he didn't prize zombies with full charges then humans would easily win. Also, I noticed most hosts prize zombies with rockets/full charges/super in maps other than Heist, because humans could win without hiding in a house due to warbirds being faster than spiders.

Comment

It wasn't intended for zombies in the first place but can be used for it. The original design was the park and the surrounding street only for a new type of CNR. but the park can host just about anything if you close the doors.
                              ?find dads revenge

Comment

Working...
                              X