1.5 TB hard drive partitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5 TB hard drive partitions

I recently got a 1.5 tb harddrive for my brand new computer and I want to partition the drive into 3 portions:
    Me (50% of remaining space after os)
    My mom (50% of remaining space after os)
    Operating sytem (xp)

How much space should I partition for the os (preparing for future, hope to have this beast for 5 yrs.)?
    I was thinking 100-300 gigs for OS (yes I know its much more than necessary but incase a big future OS comes out I'm ready). is this way too much? opinions? suggestions?

as for the system if its needed :
    quad core (4 cores running at 2.66 Ghz)
    4gb memory
    two geforce 9800 gtx video cards
    1.5 tb hd
    sound card coming soon with surround sound in my room

Why use the 1.5TB for the O.S. I would use it as a storage drive and mirror two drives at a smaller capacity, say 500GB in a SATA RAID config.

I currently use two External 1TB Seagate Free Agent drives and have my computers two internal SATA drives mirrored.

eSATA setup trasfers are up to 3G per sec.

Partioning a 1.5TB to me is not how I personally would set up a new system ...the externals are great if your O.S. drives fail...but mirrored in a RAID config would save you from that prob as well.

With two vid cards...are you setting this up to be SLI?
    May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

5 years from now, you'll have 10 TB drives. So why 'future proof' your computer so much? Just keep it all one partition, and if you need more space, get a new hard drive.
      Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
      www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
      www.animeslice.com

Comment

virtual memory drive, swap files, temp files, lazy.. etc

edit: yea sli why? I have an ASUS P5N-D motherboard
        Last edited by Xog; 01-02-2009, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Then just partition the drive like 1 TB/500 GB

and stop worrying.

What I tend to do is keep windows and all my applications on one drive, and use the other drives for my media files.

And then if I run out of space for media files, I buy a new hard drive.
          Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
          www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
          www.animeslice.com

Comment

alright thanks for the suggestions i'll take ur word for it

Comment

what's this thread about?
              can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

it WAS about my dillemma with certain computer things, but now it can be anything you want within the forum rules & guidelines.

Comment

I recently bought 4 Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB disks and ran it as a RAID 5 setup. I got a 200GB c: partition, and a 1,55TB d: partition from those disks. I lose the storage of one my drives in exchange for security and speed. Now there's a chance I won't lose data at all if one of the raid disks dies and it's also fast as hell. I also use my old 500GB Samsung disk as a single download partition. This way I can download stuff without putting any strain on my RAID setup.

I wouldn't recommend you having more than 200GB on c:. You don't need more space for your OS and any programs you could possibly install. This way it can go quick to format, since you got most your shit on another partition. You're also right by mentioning the swap files etc, it is favorable to not let c: be too big. I don't see that this really matters though.

I see no point in having a rig like that today though, PC gaming is dying out. There isn't a single PC release my 1.5 year old computer can't run with good settings, and there isn't anything announced that my computer won't be able to run.
                  Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

I once ate a mans heart.

Comment

so what does man meat taste like?

Comment

they say the way to a mans heart is thru his cock

Comment

Originally posted by Xog View Post
                          virtual memory drive, swap files, temp files, lazy.. etc

edit: yea sli why? I have an ASUS P5N-D motherboard
                          Just make sure your items you are adding to this sytems are all SLI ready, such as the power supply and Ram...bridging the two vid cards is real nice BTW, but you will be limited to using one monitor while in SLI mode.

Comment

I personally don't understand why anyone is going for SLI these days. You get so little in return for what you invest unless you work with very heavy graphic related stuff. I have a 8800 GTS card and I can still play any game currently out with good settings. PC gaming is almost dead so there isn't even any specific releases that demands a better rig.
                            Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
                              I personally don't understand why anyone is going for SLI these days. You get so little in return for what you invest unless you work with very heavy graphic related stuff. I have a 8800 GTS card and I can still play any game currently out with good settings. PC gaming is almost dead so there isn't even any specific releases that demands a better rig.
                              There really is no toher use I can see as well. We have them at work for doing just as you noted...heavy graphic work. For gaming, all you need is a single...but I have no idea what this computer in regards to this topic is being used for. Obviously not SS TW game graphics

Comment

Working...
                              X