Keyboard and multiple buttons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard and multiple buttons.

I just got a new keyboard. It's a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v1.
    My old keyboard was an Ergonomic keyboard as well, I've just grown too accustomed to it to go back I suppose. It's more comfortable. ANYWAYS, on to the problem. With this new keyboard, I cannot Thrust (up), Shoot (ctrl) and Turn (left/right).

Let me explain. When I play, I'm holding the up arrow. To shoot, I'm now holding up and ctrl. I turn say left, so now I'm holding Up, Ctrl, and Left. The enemy turns, so I press the Right button, but I'm still rotating left when I'm holding down the right button.

I didn't have this problem on my old keyboard/computer and I don't have it on my laptop. Is there a setting somewhere I can check/un-check? I tried the filter keys / sticky keys thing and it's not helping. Someone give me some insight please

http://www.google.nl/search?q=multip...t+once+problem

It's a limit of keyboards design (They don't have a diffrent circuit for each key so certain combinations etc don't work)
    eg at my school up + left + space doesn't work, the 3rd key is missed (up+ left + cntrl does work however)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_%28key%29
    Many gamers call this "keylock". It comes from the keyboard itself (ie how the key switches are matriced, and thus how many simultanious presses can be distinguished).

I know someone whose ancient Omnikey keyboard was a prize possesion because it has no keylock at all. Some keyboard info along these lines and recomendations are here
    Just an FYI, wireless keyboards and mice are absolutely hideous in this regard. I have the top of the line Wacom Tablet, and l00+$ Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. The Wacom tablet can't send left+right click at the same time (crucial in Alias Maya) and the keyboards send max 3 keypresses (again, seriously depressing in maya, where you might hit ctrl+alt+shift+something else for interface stuff). The logitech mouse is pathetic and I won't even bother writing about it.

Agh.

Google knows
    Maverick
    Retired SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
    Retired SSCU Trench Wars Bot Coordinator
    Retired Trench Wars Core Administrator
    Subspace Statistics Administrator
    Former Mervbot plugin developer

Comment

I've been looking for answers for a couple days now from google. You're probably just a better searcher:P . Thanks, apparently I'll need to test each keyboard before I buy them? :S

Comment

Originally posted by Xog View Post
        apparently I'll need to test each keyboard before I buy them? :S
        No, I think that if you really require a keyboard that has such features, you look for those features on the package. Some keyboards have extra support for pressing multiple keys at a time or no keylock support.

My ancient IBM PS2 keyboard used to have such support, my current wireless has the same problems you describe (but I don't really mind).
        Maverick

Comment

might be minor, but try using the other crtl? One of my shift buttons does this (right one) but the left one doesn't.
          .fffffffff_____
          .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
          .ffffff|ff __fffff|
          .fffffff\______/
          .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
          .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
          .fffff\________/
          .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
          .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
          .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
          .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
          .fff\__________/

Comment

I ended up changing key defs for this reason. Instead of shift I use CAPS LOCK for boost and that freed up some problem a long time ago on some keyboard I don't have anymore.

Comment

just buy a 10 dollar keyboard, the cheaper the better.
              Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

so is there anyway to fix this? or do you just need to buy a diff keyboard?

Comment

I had the same problem, I went out and spent 70 dollars on a really nice keyboard, I ended up taking it back because it did the keylock crap. I got a 10 dollar keyboard from the same place, and got a 360 game with the rest of the cash. The 10 dollar keyboard works much better for games. CS and Continuum mainly.
                  Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Originally posted by jord View Post
                    so is there anyway to fix this? or do you just need to buy a diff keyboard?
                    Yes, you have to buy a different keyboard. Just make sure the new one doesn't have the same keylock problem, like kthx says.
                    Maverick

Comment

Working...
                    X