No announcement yet.

economic poopfest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work as a professional services consultant for a small software company that offers a product that is currently the leader in the IT-GRC industry. We continue to hire people. We are by no means recession-proof though, as while we have plenty of fortune 500 clients, some of which have had to either cancel or put contractor services on hold. I was on a project at eBay and they basically told all of their contractors to not come back until further notice. This was right before they cut a whole bunch of jobs there.
    PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Comment

I work for a chiropractor so things are okay, people are stretching out their visits, but someone's always gonna be sick. We are moving to a brand new hospital and are the only chiropractor in the facility, so hopefully things will pick up again.

Comment

Originally posted by MirrorriM View Post
        I work for a chiropractor so things are okay, people are stretching out their visits, but someone's always gonna be sick. We are moving to a brand new hospital and are the only chiropractor in the facility, so hopefully things will pick up again.
        Was that a joke in there?
        Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Times like these I'm glad I'm recession proof. The recession has already affected people close to me. 5 more months and I enter the workforce for real!
          Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
          www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
          www.animeslice.com

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine View Post
            Times like these I'm glad I'm recession proof. The recession has already affected people close to me. 5 more months and I enter the workforce for real!
            Starting residency? Finishing residency? Starting fellowship? Finishing fellowship?

Comment

Most of my family either works for Chrysler or GM. So yea, affecting my family pretty badly seeing as most of them are now laid off from their jobs.
              (ZaBuZa)>sigh.. i been playing this game since i was 8... i am more mature then ull ever be...

Comment

I work in the printing industry for the third largest printer in the US. Because the US Postal Service is constantly jacking up mailing prices, our customers (catalogers and magazines) are dwindling their page counts to make smaller books so they mail cheaper. The recession has devestated the advertising markets, especially in magazines.

BUT, the good news is.. printing is NOT going away anytime soon. And one of our main competitors is in bankruptcy, meaning we'll be picking up a lot of work from them in the future.

And yes, we print Playboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sufficient View Post
                  Starting residency? Finishing residency? Starting fellowship? Finishing fellowship?
                  Finishing...

My anime blog:
                  www.animeslice.com

Comment

thats whats up

dr. epinienperheine in da houze:kamikaze: :w00t:

Comment

It hasn't affected me that much since I have scholarships to pay for my first year in university. But, most of them are just for this year, so we'll see how next year goes. My dad is a software developer and I think he's doing alright, so far as I know.
                      Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
                      1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
                      1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
                      1:Chao <ER>> at all
                      1:Mantra-Slider> chao
                      1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
                      Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
                      Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

lol 100% job security, i love it atm
                        I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
                        I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

i did the math just for fun on my investment portfolio and i saved $40,000 because of my bizarre, radical idea of a depression... closed my merrill lynch account in january 2008. suckaz

edit: to clarify only ~9-10k of that was my money. my father closed his account in early february 2008, but he did it because of me, so i count it
                          NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Graduating in 2-3 months, I need to find an internship. I'm honestly not worried, a lot of broadcasters are getting laid off so I'm more or less free work which I then hope turns into cheap work. Hopefully things will pan out the same way they did for Nycle. I also found an internship run through the Ontario government that pays $40-50k a year (up to 2 years). It isn't necessarily my bread and butter by I am qualified to do the job if I want to 'broaden my horizons', ie take a job that's available. The most I'd be making if I got a paid job right now (which isn't likely) is 20-30k a year, so for me to not only work for my provincial government but to make double my expected salary would be fucking awesome.

Shit sucks, I got loans etc etc, but I don't have a house or a mortgage to worry about. If the government internship doesn't pan out I have some hope of getting an internship at CBC and seeing if I can turn that into a job, but in all reality by the time I'm finished my internship the economy is still going to be in the pisser and I doubt there will be job openings. The only thing that might pan out for me is working for a newspaper company that plans on firing a bunch of print journalists and hiring a few broadcast journalists to start creating online content. Media is breaking off from its traditional barriers, so I'm glad I made myself versatile in my field of study.
                            Last edited by Cops; 01-27-2009, 11:45 PM.
                            it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Good luck Cops! Given the way things are going with media these days, and how the world is, have you considered trying to find 'work' with any media blogs, or even considering starting your own news blog/internet media site? I mean it probably won't pay much if anything at all for now, but the future is going online, and the traditional avenues of media will become less and less lucrative.

The 'best' part about the recession is that my interest on my student line of credit has dropped dramatically, almost about 4% now. That's a LOT of money a year considering how much debt I'm in.

My anime blog:
                              www.animeslice.com

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine View Post
                                Good luck Cops! Given the way things are going with media these days, and how the world is, have you considered trying to find 'work' with any media blogs, or even considering starting your own news blog/internet media site? I mean it probably won't pay much if anything at all for now, but the future is going online, and the traditional avenues of media will become less and less lucrative.

The 'best' part about the recession is that my interest on my student line of credit has dropped dramatically, almost about 4% now. That's a LOT of money a year considering how much debt I'm in.
                                I've thought about this and the idea has occurred to me to get webspace for people to submit their own Writing (whatever form that may take), but I haven't figured out a way to make it appealing beyond existing websites.
                                Originally posted by Tone
                                Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Working...
                                X