No announcement yet.

economic poopfest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents still take their kids to the psychiatrist these days. Pharmaceutical companies still market drugs to kids, so I still have a job.

Comment

well, I'm fairly secure because I work for the us gov't directly (not sure if this is true or not) but I've never really heard of anyone who's a direct federal employee laid off YET. Although plenty of gov't contractors are being affected because of spending freezes everywhere.

My father, however, recently lost his job. He worked for the same company for 11 years, and they gave him a severance of 6 months plus full vacay (2 months). So he has 8 months to get a job... I've been helping him out with his resume and whatnot. But yeah it kinda sucks. Good thing my mom still works so all the bills will get paid.
      TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
      TelCat> hoes get paid :(
      TelCat> i dont

Comment

Originally posted by Bioture View Post
        well, I'm fairly secure because I work for the us gov't directly (not sure if this is true or not) but I've never really heard of anyone who's a direct federal employee laid off YET. Although plenty of gov't contractors are being affected because of spending freezes everywhere.
        I've seen people get laid off but its very, very rare and had nothing to do with the economy at the time
        I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
        I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Originally posted by Izor View Post
          I've seen people get laid off but its very, very rare and had nothing to do with the economy at the time
          lots of layoffs here

im still not sure if i am in the clear yet or not

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

i think he meant government-wise, which i can sorta attest to. i work for the state government, and they aren't laying people off anytime soon. they will simply not let out as many projects to contractors before laying off employees, which sucks for them, but it works out for us. my girlfriend is having a horrible time finding a job, but half of it comes from finding it hard to use a HRTM degree.
            .fffffffff_____
            .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
            .ffffff|ff __fffff|
            .fffffff\______/
            .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
            .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
            .fffff\________/
            .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
            .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
            .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
            .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
            .fff\__________/

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine View Post
              Good luck Cops! Given the way things are going with media these days, and how the world is, have you considered trying to find 'work' with any media blogs, or even considering starting your own news blog/internet media site? I mean it probably won't pay much if anything at all for now, but the future is going online, and the traditional avenues of media will become less and less lucrative.

The 'best' part about the recession is that my interest on my student line of credit has dropped dramatically, almost about 4% now. That's a LOT of money a year considering how much debt I'm in.
              I've created a blogspot website to post articles, I've also considered posting for suite101 (Not sure if that site is really worth my time).

Right now I'm producing a 30 minute magazine show every other week on top of a 30 minute news show which I Associate-Produce every week. It's becoming increasingly hard to find time to do any side projects I may want to do. On top of that I'm also working on a documentary. I'm trying to find time just to stay sane. I finish school 3-4 hours after everyone else and I end up sending 10-15 emails a day co-ordinating a production that is completely based out of the alloted class time (Magazine Show).
              it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

I currently work as a shipping supervisor for a large multi-national textile corperation, and we have been hit very hard.

Our biggest customers are Hanesbrands (Hanes, Champion, Playtex), J.Crew, Nike, New Balance, Under Armour, and Cupid Intimates (aka Wal-Mart). Our orders are based on marketplace demand, so as long as these products aren't selling, we aren't shipping new orders. Hanes has been hit by this very hard, and they have gone from being about 75% of our business to about 25%.

We started laying off workers around September, and laid off everyone we could possibly get rid of. Then we shut down for 3 weeks at the end 08 to try to back up some orders to keep people busy... and that didn't work either. We just got finished slashing the jobs of about 40% of our salary workers (luckily I have a job that can't exactly be slashed), and now the hourly workers are facing a schedule where they are on for a week and then off for a week. Its hard for people to live like that, especially when the max pay we offer for an hourly worker is $11.87.

On the bright side, we just opened a new knitting factory.... in the fucking Dominican Republic. With all the taxes we have to pay on our inventories in the United States, we couldn't possibly justify opening this plant over here. God Bless America.

So the next time you need some nice white undershirts, do me a favor, buy Hanes.
                While I'm sippin herbal teas verbal bees plant fertile seeds
                Bitches leave with broke backs, swollen palms and purple knees

Comment

Originally posted by Fidel Castro View Post
                  So the next time you need some nice white undershirts, do me a favor, buy Hanes.
                  I just checked my undies. It is hanes. Soldier on.
                  TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
                  TelCat> hoes get paid :(
                  TelCat> i dont

Comment

sadoldsmile

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                      It hasn't really affected me because Texas has been spared from much of the economic crap that is affecting the nation. The fact that we have such a large port, a bunch of large oil companies, and other jobs that are necessities to every day life in America mean that I basically get to sit in a crisis resistant bubble. I guess one of the only problems would be a couple of auto factories that we have, but that isn't really a significant percentage of Houston's economy.

this.

Comment

Originally posted by paradise! View Post
                        how the hell are you guys still in business? Aren't you directly tied to anything dealing with construction? I mean businesses aren't expanding anymore, and hell no are houses being built. The only light in the tunnel I see for you guys is demolishing lol.

it amazes me how clueless you are while you claim to know so much, they still have to make parts and service all the equipment they have sold...they have engines in semis, they have construction equipment and a bunch of other shit. so to think they are limited to just contruction is stupid, and all the roads being built......WHAT ARE THEY MOST LIKELY USING? CAT. in all these factories what are their forklifts? CAT

so basically as long as their is a shipping industry WHICH IS FOREVER Cat will stay in business

paradise> ohnoes no business expanding no houses built!! oh wait i live in Ohio where we depend on the auto industry!!!.....so yea no jobs. time to move to Texas.
                        Last edited by Money; 01-29-2009, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paradise! View Post
                          I didn't mean it so bluntly, i'm just saying that even THEY are susceptible to bankrupcy and other serious financial problems.
                          ANY company can go bankrupt or have financial problems, NO ONE IS EXEMPT

U R SUCH A TOOL I TIHNK U NEED TO REPEAT HIGH SCHOOL

Comment

so... anyone in need of a mechanical engineer with two and a half years experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeebu View Post
                              so... anyone in need of a mechanical engineer with two and a half years experience?
                              damn dude, I'm sorry
                              Originally posted by Tone
                              Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Originally posted by Squeezer View Post
                                damn dude, I'm sorry
                                didnt come as a suprise =/

im just one of twenty thousand from my company alone.

im just one of over 350,000 from fortune 500 companies. im sure there will be more to follow. im less bummed because ive been tinkering with the idea of goin back to school anyways.

my mind just got made up for me =)

Comment

Working...
                                X